• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

qtip.416

Reaction score
Maiden Voyage.
FullSizeRender.jpeg

IMG_9294.jpeg

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice..... Would be really useful to know what you make of the quality of the shell on these meermins compared to the shell quality on C&J? The price difference is astonishing ofcourse between Meermin and C&J. But that doesn't necessarily say much about the difference in their shells.
These are Rocado shell, C&J typically uses Horween shells. Meermin offers several different tanneries for shell, and often have Horween on offer as well. I personally like shell because of its almost self healing abilities. In my experience Horween shell is better at that. That said Rocado is very good. If Horween is not on offer, but only Rocado and it’s a boot I want, I don’t have any problem purchasing them. However, build quality is the differentiator between these two particular makers.

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
These are Rocado shell, C&J typically uses Horween shells. Meermin offers several different tanneries for shell, and often have Horween on offer as well. I personally like shell because of its almost self healing abilities. In my experience Horween shell is better at that. That said Rocado is very good. If Horween is not on offer, but only Rocado and it’s a boot I want, I don’t have any problem purchasing them. However, build quality is the differentiator between these two particular makers.
Cheers. Agreed that build quality is very different on Meermin and C&J which reflects in their prices. It was more the shell comparisons i was looking for people's opinions on. Thanks for that. Certainly, Meermins stuff at the price they do it is a great proposition

Last edited:

basu13

Reaction score
Cheers. Agreed that build quality is very different on Meermin and C&J which reflects in their prices. It was more the shell comparisons i was looking for people's opinions on. Thanks for that. Certainly, Meermins stuff at the price they do it is a great proposition
I have a couple of shell boots one each from Horween and Rocado. The Horween leather is more lustrous but sturdiness and overall looks wise Rocado is not far behind. Price and value for money wise, Rocado definitely packs a nice punch.

kik595

Reaction score
Anybody familiar with Ludwig Reiter? I've heard positive but mostly vague things and would love a bit more input from those who've had experience with them - considering a new pair from them.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody familiar with Ludwig Reiter? I've heard positive but mostly vague things and would love a bit more input from those who've had experience with them - considering a new pair from them.
They are a proper maker. I made a visit to their factory store in Vienna in 2017, they make some nice pieces. They can be a little pricey, but I found some great bargains there. I was in search for winter boots, so I only got a couple pair of shearling lined. They are both still in my weekend, dead of winter rotation.

kik595

Reaction score
They are a proper maker. I made a visit to their factory store in Vienna in 2017, they make some nice pieces. They can be a little pricey, but I found some great bargains there. I was in search for winter boots, so I only got a couple pair of shearling lined. They are both still in my weekend, dead of winter rotation.
Thanks kindly; and matches with some old snippets I've found here and on reddit.

Would you say they run TTS in your experience? I've found little about the lasts aside from there is minor variance (less than Alden, more than C&J seems as close as I can tell)

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks kindly; and matches with some old snippets I've found here and on reddit.

Would you say they run TTS in your experience? I've found little about the lasts aside from there is minor variance (less than Alden, more than C&J seems as close as I can tell)
Ah, sorry I don’t have any sizing advice to offer. As I mentioned, I only have their shearling lined boots. Basing your size on my experience with shearling lined footwear, would be dangerous.

kik595

Reaction score
Ah, sorry I have any sizing advice to offer. As I mentioned, I only have their shearling lined boots. Basing your size on my experience with shearling lined footwear, would be dangerous.
Ah thanks; good point - never gets cold enough here to break out my one pair of shearies! Cheers ~

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annmil44