• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blu-ray conundrum

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
It would make more sense to abandon physical media altogether. The future is downloadable, and there's no reason to hoard physical discs, especially if all you're interested in is high picture and audio quality.

I beg to differ. Downloading films takes a while even on speedy broadband. If you really like film BluRay is the way to go. Very good picture and sound quality in my experience.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Join Netflix (don't buy DVDs).

Then worry about a new DVD player when you fall out of love with your current TV (you can speed this along by taking your netflix discs to friends' homes with HDTVs).

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last week we had a technician come out to adjust our HD dish. After he was done he related an experience where he was going on a call with a standard box and when he got into the apartment,

"the dude's crib was full of big TVs! Like 70 inch joints! I told him, look papa. Here's my card, I'll put down I was here. Don't call me no more. You got them big TVs and [are] watching garbage! Garbage! Call me when you switch to HD."

We rolled.

bkk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
If you don't notice the picture improvement you're either blind or watching on a screen that's too small and too far away. The difference is night and day on a large display. Audio improvements are also very real, though unless you have a good system, you probably won't notice.

PQ - Sure, the people who are enthusiasts will notice, but this isn't nearly as large of a leap as SDTV to HDTV. If you're using an old TV (original poster), You probably won't notice the upgrade.

SQ - To each their own. I don't hear a large difference, then again, the dead silence while a receiver switches from DTS to DTS-HD doesn't help.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
If you don't notice the picture improvement you're either blind or watching on a screen that's too small and too far away. The difference is night and day on a large display. Audio improvements are also very real, though unless you have a good system, you probably won't notice.

Amen bro.

B1FF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by turboman808
You must not be familiar with the devices and the sources available. Popcorn hour rips DVDs and bluerays and more importantly pulls torrents.

Long time before this is available? Been doing this for 5 years.
eh.gif

If you are ripping Bluerays, then you are using ******* Bluerays.

As for torrents, that's why I used the word 'practical.'

Maybe you have a T3 running into your apartment. I don't, and I don't want to have to plan my TV watching a week in advance, so 30GB downloads aren't practical.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by streffert
Being a huge Sony fan, and refraining from being a total douche', it's actually a "Vega" series.
wink.gif
I had an old roommate who called it a Wega all the time, wanted to smack him in the face, probably because he had red hair...

Fan fail! It's Wega! Your roommate should have slapped you!

imschatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by B1FF
Yes. You can get decent players for $100 bucks or less. So, why not?

For older movies, the cost of a DVD and a Blu-Ray is often the same.

It will be a long time before you can practically (or will want to) download and store movies that equal BR for picture and audio quality.

Been doing it for years. You can download a DVD quality movie in 20 minutes or less and BluRay quality in an hour or less.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
Fan fail! It's Wega! Your roommate should have slapped you!

Weeeelll yes and no. It is SPELLED WEGA. It is pronounced VEGA. WEGA was a German electronics company that Sony bought. The company was named after the star.

That being said, I think the poster's roomate should have slapped him anyways.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imschatz
Been doing it for years. You can download a DVD quality movie in 20 minutes or less and BluRay quality in an hour or less.

Really hard to do in the U.S.

I can't speak to Canada, but we just don't have that kind of bandwidth down here. I assume that when you say "BluRay quality" you are being literal and not just some compressed to **** MKV or x264. Downloading 13GB of top notch relatively loss-less x264 in an hour or less is pretty impressive.

turboman808

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Really hard to do in the U.S. I can't speak to Canada, but we just don't have that kind of bandwidth down here. I assume that when you say "BluRay quality" you are being literal and not just some compressed to **** MKV or x264. Downloading 13GB of top notch relatively loss-less x264 in an hour or less is pretty impressive.
You can stream good quality 720p. I haven't seen 1080p in good quality for streaming. I let them download overnight if I want 1080p. I'm generally happy with 720p for most movies and tv shows.
Originally Posted by B1FF
If you are ripping Bluerays, then you are using ******* Bluerays. As for torrents, that's why I used the word 'practical.' Maybe you have a T3 running into your apartment. I don't, and I don't want to have to plan my TV watching a week in advance, so 30GB downloads aren't practical.
My device for watching tv downloads torrents direct. It's very practical but your right I may not have what I want that minute. But I can also stream divx and it does rip bluerays. Took me a few days to set it up but that was a long time ago. Works very well.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turboman808
You can stream good quality 720p. I haven't seen 1080p in good quality for streaming. I let them download overnight if I want 1080p. I'm generally happy with 720p for most movies and tv shows.
Streaming "good quality" 720p is light years different than Blu-Ray quality though. Especially in audio quality.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
It would make more sense to abandon physical media altogether. The future is downloadable, and there's no reason to hoard physical discs, especially if all you're interested in is high picture and audio quality.

+10

I wasn't totally convinced I'd ever want to give up the visceral thrill and anal retentive delight that is hoarding and stocking shelf after shelf of physical media. But instant-streaming Netflix on my XBox has changed my mind. The future isn't even downloadable; it's cloud-based. Downloads are going to become an anachronism as quickly as physical media will.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads