• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best movie you've seen recently?

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by terminat
The director's cut version right? 'cos I agree, the cinema version was poor - the DC version was deemed to be too long (to be fair it is almost 3 hours) so they cut out some quite key scenes, making the story seem very weird and non-sequential. I can see why some people don't like it - Orlando Bloom's hardly a heavyweight actor (tho I thought he was much more impressive here than in Pirates of the Caribbean) and it does have a bit of dramatic licence. But clearly Scott was trying to make a masterpiece, and send a message out to the modern world at the same time. Even if he didn't succeed (its not the best film of all time admittedly) I still think he did a pretty gd job
smile.gif
And it does compare very favourably with other recent movies about the same period - with the exception of Braveheart, the rest have been poor (Milla Jovovich as Joan of Arc, need I say anymore lol?)

I did see the cinema version. And admittedly, I often have the sense when watching recent historical/fantasy epics that Peter Jackson raised the bar so high that it will be a few years before any of them are impressive to me again in the action department.

Chadley

Reaction score
Last night my Mom and I settled down and contentedly watched Fast Times at Ridgemonet High and The Nightmare Before Christmas, both of which I hadn't seen in a while and my Mom hadn't seen in a much longer time. I enjoyed the pair of movies a lot, but it was even better listening to my Mom enjoy the movies as if it was the first time she had seen them.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there is a movie out right now called 'la vie en rose'. it is the story of edith piaf and i highly recommend it to everyone. the story is great, and all the actors are good except for gerard depardieu.

volta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Knocked Up was very good. some think it's better than 40 Year Old Virgin, others not. I don't think it's as good either, but it's still damn good and funny. Some great one liners....the "brokeback mountain" scene they cut out was really funny (it's on youtube somewhere).

Saw "The Host" (korean) on dvd...it was good, not as great as reviews claimed. It'd been touted as "the best monster movie ever made". eh, dunno about that. And I'd also read about its social commentary, which I didnt pick up in any way...and also read that you HAVE to see it on a theatre bigscreen....eh, it looked fine on a 55" flatscreen. maybe I just missed all the good subtleties that have given it rave reviews.

knocked up is really good. i think i might be one of the people who prefers it to the 40-year-old virgin. definitely a great movie

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
there is a movie out right now called 'la vie en rose'. it is the story of edith piaf and i highly recommend it to everyone. the story is great, and all the actors are good except for gerard depardieu.
I need to see this. On a separate note, I find it amusing when the US titles for foreign films are another foreign sentence, although not the original title...
laugh.gif
The original French title is "La Môme" (the kid), which was Piaf's nickname. The US title is "La Vie en Rose"...
la-mome.jpg

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
On a separate note, I find it amusing when the US titles for foreign films are another foreign sentence, although not the original title...
laugh.gif
The original French title is "La Môme" (the kid), which was Piaf's nickname. The US title is "La Vie en Rose"...
la-mome.jpg

It's cause "La Môme" sounds weird, while "La Vie en Rose" sounds real purty. Some marketing expert undoubtedly got paid a lot of money for this.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kennethpollock
Just saw Paul Verhoeven's ("Basic Instinct," "Starship Troopers," "Soldier of Orange," "Show Girls," etc.) "Black Book," my first experience with a Appreciation Holocaust film, starring the beautiful Leslie van Houten and her two ****.
Sort of "Show Girls" meets "Schindler's List." A real hoot.
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif

Nice: a holocaust movie made by a Nazi.
plain.gif

Jon.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
A Dutch Nazi?

Jon likes to pretend that anyone who uses fascist imagery as a metaphor for the mistakes people make or the evils of the world is a Nazi. He doesn't understand (or doesn't care about) the difference between symbology and sympathy, and doesnt get the fact that you can make a movie ABOUT Nazi's without BEING a Nazi or LIKING Nazis. Verhoven just happened to grow up under the heel of the Nazi regime as a child and saw their atrocities first hand in Amsterdam, so the images are a part of the experiences that he taps to tell a narrative, just like any other filmmaker or writer does. Jon would just rather play the ignorantly outraged Jewish guy than to understand that Paul Verhoven has no love for fascism, as he's stated on numerous occasions.

George Lucas (Star Wars/Indiana Jones) , Bryan Singer (Apt Pupil/X-Men), Tony Kaye (American History X), Michael Curtiz (Casablanca), Stanley Kubrik (Dr. Strangelove), Spike Lee (Inside Man), Guillermo del Toro (Hellboy), Stephen Spielberg (Duh), Sam Mendes (American Beauty), and many others are also Nazis to some degree or another by Jon's standard. Oh, wait... Spielberg is Jewish. I guess he gets a free pass to use Nazi imagery in films.

But we've had this argument before. The fact that he just doesn't LIKE Verhoven's movies is enough in his mind to be able to freely call him a Nazi.

terminat

Reaction score
Urgh, saw Sunshine last night... nowhere near what I was expecting
confused.gif

Since it hasn't been released in the US I won't give away any spoilers... except to say that I went in after watching trailers that heavily marketed it as a slasher, thus I expected to see Event Horizon (I liked it even if others didn't) and instead saw what was basically The Core (which I hated.)

Apparantly they marketed it that way to appeal to teen audiences... while I don't absolutely love slashers, I'll take Event Horizon over Mission to Mars anyday.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by terminat
Urgh, saw Sunshine last night... nowhere near what I was expecting
confused.gif

Since it hasn't been released in the US I won't give away any spoilers... except to say that I went in after watching trailers that heavily marketed it as a slasher, thus I expected to see Event Horizon (I liked it even if others didn't) and instead saw what was basically The Core (which I hated.)

Apparantly they marketed it that way to appeal to teen audiences... while I don't absolutely love slashers, I'll take Event Horizon over Mission to Mars anyday.

Isn't that the new Danny Boyle movie? From everything I've ever read on it, it sounds like The Core/Armageddon - but without as annoying a cast, and actually directed by someone half capable. Did it really suck, or was it just not what you expected?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads