• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best movie you've seen recently?

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I heard Sunshine was pretty surrealistic. I have no clue though, since I haven't really looked into it. But I love Michelle Yeoh, which means I'll probably see it regardless.

terminat

Reaction score
Isn't that the new Danny Boyle movie? From everything I've ever read on it, it sounds like The Core/Armageddon - but without as annoying a cast, and actually directed by someone half capable. Did it really suck, or was it just not what you expected?
Well no it didnt really suck, I mean I'm just about glad I saw it, but I'm not sure I'd be in a major hurry to see it again.

Tbh its not just me who didn't know what the film was supposed to be - I think it was Danny Boyle too lol! Because halfway through the film, it goes from surrealistic-space adventure to an all-out slasher for about 15 minutes, then back again. The 'slasher' bit felt very tacked on and like Boyle just did it to appease the studio (with the success of Hostel, Saw etc.) - and what made it worse was how all the UK trailers advertised it as a slasher.

Don't get me wrong - the first hour is pretty brilliant
biggrin.gif
but then it just seems like Boyle didn't know where to go, so comes up with some pretty average, completely non-dramatic ending. The strange transformation into a slasher and then back again didn't help tbh
plain.gif

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoSurface
NOT "Hostel II" which I unfortunately just saw.

Originally Posted by LanAltec
Why would you go see that? You lose a bet?

Originally Posted by GoSurface
The girls wanted to see it. It was either that or Nancy Drew.
blush.gif

Anyone else read the article in the NYTimes a few months back about the new demographic for slasher films? Young women in their teens and 20s? I've never been a fan of the genre, because I'm generally squeemish about gore, but still, the idea of young women getting some kind of weird masochistic catharsis out of the experience en masse just further creeped me out.

Next thing, they'll make up the new demographic of psychopathic serial killers. Yuck.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
That's why CSI sucks so bad... every problem can be solved with a nifty computer program instead of human skills and knowledge. *YAWN*

Fricking hate CSI. Though I'll only say I think it sucks because every flashback tells you what happened at the moment of the crime: Bruckheimer starts with the mystery, then proceeds to explain the whole thing simply through flashbacks and narrative dialog. It's really brainless, made entertaining with constant interjections of well-lit microscopic images of hair and slo-mo blood spatters.

Sorry, no other movies to report on--oh wait, 'Knocked Up.' Loved it, it made me laugh, and I like to laugh.

Man In Space

Reaction score
Sartorian;561935 said:
Fricking hate CSI. Though I'll only say I think it sucks because every flashback tells you what happened at the moment of the crime: Bruckheimer starts with the mystery, then proceeds to explain the whole thing simply through flashbacks and narrative dialog. It's really brainless, made entertaining with constant interjections of well-lit microscopic images of hair and slo-mo blood spatters.

QUOTE]

Why the **** is it always so dark on CSI? Crime scenes, labs, morgue, they're always in the goddamned dark.

TURN A ******* LIGHT ON- MAYBE YOU'LL SOLVE THE CRIME QUICKER.

I had to get that off my chest - been bugging me for quite a while.

strazzaque

Reaction score
The last really great film I saw was "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang," starring Robert Downey Jr and Val Kilmer, alongside Corbin Bernsen and an *unknown-to-me/up-and-coming* female lead.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by strazzaque
The last really great film I saw was "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang," starring Robert Downey Jr and Val Kilmer, alongside Corbin Bernsen and an *unknown-to-me/up-and-coming* female lead.

This really was a great movie. Fantastic dialogue.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
there is a movie out right now called 'la vie en rose'. it is the story of edith piaf and i highly recommend it to everyone. the story is great, and all the actors are good except for gerard depardieu.

If I ever saw a French movie made for an American audience... Couldn't get through it.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife has been in Holland with the kids for the last few days so I have been catching up. I have
watched while she has been away:
The Kingdom
Shooter
The Bourne Trilogy
Dead Mans Shoes
The Illusionist
The Last King of Scotland
No Country for Old Men
Zodiac
For me the pick of the bunch was Zodiac.

Jenaimarr

Reaction score
Just watched Felon with Val Kilmer and Stephen Dorff on DVD over the weekend and I highly reccommend it.

I thought this was a great little indie movie that flew under the radar. Was this movie even released in theaters? The ending was slightly tinged with a bit of cornballness, but I suppose it worked with respect to the rest of the movie/plot.

Extra points because you get to see Marisol Nichols' boobs (Agent Nadia Yassir on 24).

I think Val Kilmer is seriously underrated/underappreciated as an actor (I've read that he's difficult to work with so that may be a part of it). He's had quite a weird career arc from the early days of comedy in the 80's (Top Secret!, Real Genius), A-list blockbuster bombs in the 90's (The Saint, Batman Forever), to his recent stint in the small indie crime movies (The Salton Sea, Wonderland, Spartan) which I found to be some of his best work (I'm excluding the iconic roles of Doc Holliday and Iceman).

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jenaimarr
Just watched Felon with Val Kilmer and Stephen Dorff on DVD over the weekend and I highly reccommend it.

Funny. I just finished watching it 20 minutes ago. I think it was straight to DVD. It was OK, but if you've seen shows like Oz, you've seen it all before. It's entertaining to watch guys with gang tats beat each other up, but the plot isn't anything that deep or original.

Originally Posted by Sartorian
I saw '28 Weeks Later' last weekend, and found it just a bit too gory and disturbing for me.

I wanted to rent 28 days later when I had some friends over. At the videostore by my house they have all the non-descript DVD covers and I accidentally grabbed a movie called 28 days about Sandra Bullock going into rehab. For the first 15 minutes I was just trying to wrap my head around Sandra Bullock starring in a horror movie before I realized it was the wrong thing.

The Dark Knight is right up there with The Departed for crime dramas in the last few years.

Pineapple express was not very funny. I loved Superbad, Knocked Up, liked 40-year old virgin, but pineapple express was pretty unfunny for some reason. Because of that I'm hesitant to rent strange wilderness.

No Country for Old Men has to be one of the best movies I've seen in quite sometime. It's so dark and distrubing, but the more you watch it, the more you see the comedy in it which is actually pretty funny. It's possibly the darkest most subtle comedy ever. The conversation Lewelyn Moss has with the lady at the motel and the guy at the tent store are priceless. Lewelyn's girlfriend put on a such an incredible performance as a southerner, I couldn't believe she's actually scottish with a thick accent.

I also saw "Before the Devil Knows Your Dead." Great movie about 2 brothers who plan to rob their own parents jewellry store when everything goes wrong. The story is cool because it's told backwards half the way then forwards. Marissa Tomei is smoking hot in the movie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads