• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke Overload?

braised

Reaction score
Butler wrote:

"Thanks - but any Butler/Valet will know perfectly well how to do this job, thats not the subject of the thread!"

Not so fast Butler. Your original question related to rotation and while Trini aptly pointed out that it is not about acquisition which is where I focused my response, what I am proposing is dead useful interms of rotation.

Mapping out your stock, as it were, has the benefits I indicated above as well as the vitue of reminding you about a garment's function by season/color and if its being worn or not. The virtue of the first is to key your thinking as to "why" you have something and the virtue of the second the key you towards if you "use" it or not. Put them together and you have the basis to consider making something active in your "rotation" or not.

Unless you were asking for input on how to hang your clothes and organize your closet, I think that my suggestion has merits that are tritely dismissed.

If you were asking about "rotation" in the physican sense then buy a laundery and install one of their automated rotation systems. Hit the button and rotate away.

You asked for a considered response and I provided one. Keep track of your stuff, know what you use and what you don't.

If members want to identify where and when the forum is loosing credibility or interest, this thread is becoming a data point.

Braised

Butler

Reaction score
I do apologize if it came out wrong.

My point/question is not about the practical ways of rotation, as indicated above this is part of any Valets curriculum, and you "system" is certainly also a valid one!

I'm addressing the question of how one, after all the invested time and money, in spite of any such system, get to use all one's clothing, and not just the "favourites" which often happen.

It is, if you will, perhaps more a philosophical than a practical issue!

braised

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butler
I do apologize if it came out wrong.

My point/question is not about the practical ways of rotation, as indicated above this is part of any Valets curriculum, and you "system" is certainly also a valid one!

I'm addressing the question of how one, after all the invested time and money, in spite of any such system, get to use all one's clothing, and not just the "favourites" which often happen.

It is, if you will, perhaps more a philosophical than a practical issue!

Actually, it sounds like a practical question, the answer to which is to wear the clothing.

If this takes inventing a situation for the specialty bits, then do it. Have a shooting suit? Go shooting. Have tails? Throw a party that calls for them.

What are we missing?

B

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Braised has the right answer- inventing a situation for a reason to wear each garment. There are exceptions; Such as, when a son or daughter gets married a suit of clothes was made just for each of those occasions, which are kept for memory sake.

Butler, "I'm addressing the question of how one, after all the invested time and money...." This is a statement that a poorer person would make. The fact that you mentioned money in that context means a struggle, which all poorer people have to deal with. To the truly rich a $30,000 suit is like spending less than a penny. Since a buck is a hundred pennies and a buck is nothing to even the poor, unless were talking about a third world country, then for the rich a 100 suits is nothing. For the rich the only thing invested in them is time, since money is meaningless. So even middle class can invest in clothes with invested time and money. No doubt the thought process is different on each rung of the ladder, but who isn't on a rung? Two are not on a rung of the ladder; Those living off others, and those who know longer think of money... they have so much.

It seems odd to have invested time in something that's not going to be worn. Surely there was time invested to think about wearing it that no other garment can do that is useful to the buyer. Perhaps there were plans, but lost interest, or life changed so it is no longer plausible. If that is the case then a charity will take them. If to much money is invested in them, then money is a problem, isn't it?

Bought some new hiking clothes years ago because the old one wore out. But I never used the new ones because life changed. Still have them and there is still barely a glimmer of hope that I'll get to use them. While these are not suits it is still the same problem- I bought them for a purpose that never gets used or I wear something else instead. Now, if I had a well laid out closet....

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
So, you have the lifestyle where you have 100 suits but are wearing 8 of them because you like those the best ? I guess you are in that point where you have care for 50000 USD as much as I care for 50 USD. Like I would buy a trouser from Zara and not really beat myself up if I only wore it one time, you would apply to a 6000 USD suit.

Whole thing reminds of when someone was selling 20-25 Attolini MTM/MTO suits which according to the seller were made for a billionaire who didnt bother to pick them up.

This happens quite a bit. I had a energy tycoon come in recently to pick up a suit he order 5 years ago. It was literally half the size he is now.

wow 100+ pounds in 5 years? That is pretty impressive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads