• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

being cool

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Hey Edina: once someone clues you in, hook a brotha up, plz. kthxbye

Oh....snap.

Originally Posted by acidboy
if you're really cool, you don't care.

The only thing I care about is not caring.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
91.jpg

Lear

Reaction score
I used to think coolness was only for the good looking. Let me tell you, anyone can have it, as long as they're willing to put in the practice and work at it. Please forgive this rather long post. I simply want to share some positive vibes with you all.

I regularly find myself in the rearmost train carriage into Victoria. Seven week ago, I spied a few other men leering past their wives at a humongous female catch. I swore there and then, this was one tuna I was unlikely to throw back into the sea. If only she could be mine, and how I'd go about reeling her in.

I've always been told that I'm too keen. This is apparently uncool. Within minutes of talking to any woman, she pretty much knows everything about me, but gives nothing of herself. She just sits there speechless. They seem to have this knack of saying nothing whatsoever. As I've always hated pregnant pauses, I feel it only polite to fill them in... like an artist. According to the manual this is wrong. You have to make it work both ways. You have to play them at their own game. If it's not working for you folks, you probably need to work on your 'silence' as well. I've forgotten exactly what they call it in the manual, but it means saying absolutely nothing, to the point of ignoring your catch completely.

Our train consists of eight carriages. She always sits in number eight, furthest from the driver. Over the weeks I've done everything from opening carriage windows to let in icy blasts of air, to blocking the carriage door as the train pulls in. In every instance, her polite requests (and later prods) have been met with my newfound cool, stony silence. It's now turned into a cat and mouse game. Each week she moves down a carriage; the following week I do the same. This my friends is what 'cool' is all about. I don't think I've acknowledged her presence once, yet we both continue with the game. As we approach week eight, I wonder what's around the corner. Unless she wants to drive the train, she'll soon run out of carriages to swim to.

Forget about trying to copy supposedly cool people in the movies. I can tell you it doesn't work. Just project confidence. Imagine that you are the coolest thing in the aquarium. Anything floating by will soon pick up on it.

As week eight approaches, we both approach carriage one. I'm feeling pretty confident about the outcome
smile.gif

Hope that helps someone.

Lear

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, and I don't think I've ever tried to be, except maybe for a bit when I was a preteen. But you knew that and I pretty much tell women on first dates that I'm a huge nerd and have been since HS. If they're not in to me, it's never because of that. Anyway, I do what I do and enjoy what I enjoy, and I can't imagine trying to fit some idea of what being cool is supposed to be. I am ******* awesome though.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics