• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Become a Lawyer or a Businessman?

TheApple

Reaction score
Right now I still want to pursue a career in Business and I will guide my College studies in that direction. But there is still a part of me that wants to become a lawyer. I always wanted to be one when I was younger, but I grew out of it. I read that Economics majors (I'm considering it) do go to top law schools. So it may not be so much that my major prevents me from getting into law school, but will my business-focused internships/activities prevent me from doing so?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Economics majors go to top law schools, music majors go to top law schools, art majors go to top law schools, polisci majors go to mediocre law schools, math majors go to top law schools, psychology majors go to top law schools...

See what I did there?

EDIT: Oh yeah, some economics majors go to ****** law schools.

TheApple

Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Economics majors go to top law schools, music majors go to top law schools, art majors go to top law schools, polisci majors go to mediocre law schools, math majors go to top law schools, psychology majors go to top law schools...

See what I did there?

EDIT: Oh yeah, some economics majors go to ****** law schools.

Yeah, I saw what you did. Do people normally go to law school straight from college?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheApple
Yeah, I saw what you did. Do people normally go to law school straight from college?

When I was a 1L, the average age in my 1L class was 26 or 27. That leads me to believe that many people do not go to law school right out of college.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Depends on how baller their LSAT is

TheApple

Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
When I was a 1L, the average age in my 1L class was 26 or 27. That leads me to believe that many people do not go to law school right out of college.

I know someone who went to Stanford law right out of undergrad.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know someone who went to Stanford law right out of undergrad.

OMGZ me tooooooooo

edit - I was a Businessman. But I quit.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like lawyers, really I do. But, guys I have met that went to law school and then went into business tend to look at solving all problems with legal solutions rather than pragmatic business concepts. For that reason I don't suggest going to law school unless you want to become an attorney and practice law.

If you want to go into business I would suggest an MBA. Or, find a position that trains you and puts you on track for running the business and not just becoming another "worker bee".

Pelikan2

Reaction score
Economics is a great background for law. I'm a 2L at a T14, and I majored in economics and philosophy, which has served me well. Just make sure you can write well; that's what'll count when you get here. I know some economics majors who struggle because they went to large universities and weren't forced to write constantly. That's not such a big deal during admissions, but it'll be a huge disadvantage in making grades at law school. Law school admissions is a very clear math game: LSAT Score + GPA = Admission. The undergrad you went to and any work experience you have will make a difference at the margin, but that's about it (unless you're dead-set on Northwestern Law, which is really starting to prefer work experience in their applicants). Just get above a 3.7 GPA and a 169 or better on your LSATs, and you'll be fine. Easy peasy.
teacha.gif
Oh - And I went straight through. At 24, I'm a fairly young 2L for my class.

TheApple

Reaction score
So would you say it's easier to get into Harvard Law School when compared to Harvard Business School? Based off of the fact that Law School is mainly just stats.

Pelikan2

Reaction score
So would you say it's easier to get into Harvard Law School when compared to Harvard Business School? Based off of the fact that Law School is mainly just stats.

Honestly, I have no idea because I'm unfamiliar with HBS's admission stats. I'd guess they're similarly difficult. HBS might care more about work experience though.

Also, from a law school standpoint, Harvard, Yale and Stanford are definitely not the universe of top schools. I'd estimate that your opportunities leaving law school, assuming you want to do the big firm thing, are roughly equal at all of the top ten (maybe even top 14) law schools. In fact, HLS students had a particularly rough time this year because their interviews were so late.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, to the extent that it's "easy" to get good stats, then maybe.

Scoring high on the LSAT is not as easy as it sounds.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't speak directly about HBS as I didn't go there, but in general, b-schools use a variant of the following formula:

work experience + GMAT + ability to sell a line of BS to the admissions committee + math abilities + to a lesser extent grades = admission

I think they generally filter by GMAT, and then start looking at the people that can maintain or expand a powerful network, hence experience is often crucial.

Lines of BS I used included "I notice that my industry is underrepresented in your class profiles, I could really expand the alumni network into a new area" and so forth.

This all may change a bit due to the crap happening in the economy.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It seems to me that you don't want to practice law. You just want to make a lot of money; thus, the "businessman" thing (WTF is a businessman anyway? talk about vague).

If that's your attitude going into law school, you will probably be depressed and miserable for the rest of your life.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads