• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bands that are Tasteful.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
To me, Nirvana has always been one of those bands who was more important as an icon than as musicians. Everyone acknowledges their contribution to the death of hair metal (which I think was a good thing), but no one claims them as a musical influence.

Reading this, makes me want to put The Pixies in the good pile.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Reading this, makes me want to put The Pixies in the good pile.

I would without hesitation.

Station

Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
If roxy music's latest album came into top 10 contemporary, would they still be tasteful?
I don't quite get the grammar of your question. From the outset, with "Virginia Plain", they nearly always graced the top 10. They were far from a cult band.

And, while I do agree with Label King that the first four albums are essential, and the lounge lizard/lonely aristo act becomes quite tired past those four, to write off the latter four albums is foolish. One loses "Love Is the Drug", "Dance Away", "Over You", "Oh Yeah (On The Radio)", "Take a Chance With Me"... It'd be utter madness.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Station
I don't quite get the grammar of your question. From the outset, with "Virginia Plain", they nearly always graced the top 10. They were far from a cult band.

And, while I do agree with Label King that the first four albums are essential, and the lounge lizard/lonely aristo act becomes quite tired past those four, to write off the latter four albums is foolish. One loses "Love Is the Drug", "Dance Away", "Over You", "Oh Yeah (On The Radio)", "Take a Chance With Me"... It'd be utter madness.

You understand my grammar quite well. I was responding to this

Originally Posted by LabelKing

Good:

Roxy Music

Bad:

Almost any contemporary Top 10.
and etc.

Station

Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
You understand my grammar quite well. I was responding to this
Ah, my mistake. Well, I assume, were Roxy's next album and single (which had better materialise bloody soon) to go in at #9, Label King wouldn't hold it against them.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Station

You don't care for Siren?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
+1 on Bauhaus, a big time plus one.

I'll raise you Afghan Whigs and They Might Be Giants.

Lots of otherwise-tasteless nerds like TMBG.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For more recent bands:

Hella
Lightning Bolt
Bardo Pond
Arab Strap
Black Dice
The Boredoms

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
Lightning Bolt
I had Lightning Bolt on my radar for a long time before finally picking up Wonderful Rainbow and giving it a listen. Now I have to give this a big +1.

gravenimages

Reaction score
Leonard Cohen... (Except for that train wreck he recorded with Phil Spector, which, while it does hold a certain fascination, is mostly unlistenable.)
Everything by Nick Drake
Oscar Peterson
Bill Evans
Rammstein

Who have I left out?

wiru

Reaction score
^^ I'd say none of those are indicative of good taste (even if most of them are good.) Any jazz more conservative than Ornette Coleman says nothing about taste. Everyone has a copy of Kind of Blue or Time Out or whatever. Though recently I've been thinking that the key to truly good taste is to be able to cultivate an interest in something objectively bad, and to defend that bad taste vigorously. LK's obsession with 70s cowboys is a good example, actually.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads