• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@iSurg where did you get the espadrilles from, if you don't mind my asking?

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I picked up a cheap panama at the local markets last week.

Made in Ecuador and not very fine weave and synthetic inner headband but for $40 it's the best looking panama I've worn... I think because it looks worn and soft I find it's shape appealing.

I've seen the $1k plus ultra fine woven hats and Yup they look great but I only wear casually and get them dirty and prefer the non fine weave

Top Change

Reaction score
Hi gents,
I've recently obtained a beautiful jacket from an opshop I frequent but the shoulders are a size too large. Would anybody be able to recommend a tailor in Sydney who would be able to do a great job of taking them in? Not a cheap or easy alteration I know but in the case of this jacket I feel it's justified.

Cheers.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi gents,
I've recently obtained a beautiful jacket from an opshop I frequent but the shoulders are a size too large. Would anybody be able to recommend a tailor in Sydney who would be able to do a great job of taking them in? Not a cheap or easy alteration I know but in the case of this jacket I feel it's justified.

Cheers.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend a good tailor in Sydney, but hopefully one of the Sydney members can chime in.

I can, however, say that such an alteration will probably cost $180 - $200. Also, if the fabric is patterned (ie PoW check, glen plaid, windowpane etc) it may be difficult to match up the pattern again once the shoulders have been taken in (although not quite as problematic as if you were having the sleeves shortened). Finally, when taking in shoulders, sometimes the sleevehead (ie the top of the jacket sleeve where it meets the shoulder) can end up looking a little "crumpled" and uneven if the tailor isn't really proficient.

So, if you really want to get the alteration done, then by all means have it done, but I'd suggest that you also think seriously about whether the jacket is really worth the trouble and expense and whether it might be better to put it back into op shop circulation and to look for another jacket that fits you properly across the shoulders.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Made in Ecuador and not very fine weave and synthetic inner headband but for $40 it's the best looking panama I've worn... I think because it looks worn and soft I find it's shape appealing.

I've seen the $1k plus ultra fine woven hats and Yup they look great but I only wear casually and get them dirty and prefer the non fine weave

With you on that Romp. Mine's not particularly finely woven, it's from the New York Hat Company, and I can't remember what I paid but it was well under $100, I think about $70-odd, and it's just fine. Cheap Panamas are the shizzle.

Hi gents,

Cheers.

Fridon Alterations, Level 1, shop 107, 155 King St
0413 400 167

He's taken in several jacket shoulders for me and always does an excellent job. Price not quite as high as the estimate given above.

eightace

Reaction score
BQ yan tailors, Ste 307/ 147 King St
Sydney NSW 2000
Definitely endorse BQ Yan.

Recently, I took a jacket which was too big in the shoulders to a tailor in Town Hall Square. He had previously done good work for me. This time, he botched the re-attachment of one sleeve, and so I asked him to redo it. Well, he wasn't happy about this, but he begrudgingly agreed to do it. The result was just appalling. Absolutely unwearable. I'll never go back to him.

Eg, In the photo below, that white dot to the left of the seam is a stitch. There were other random visible stitches elsewhere around that sleeve. (BTW, it's not me wearing the jacket in the photo).

Anyway, I took it to BQ Yan, and he fixed it.

TL;DR - Go to BQ Yan.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

With you on that Romp. Mine's not particularly finely woven, it's from the New York Hat Company, and I can't remember what I paid but it was well under $100, I think about $70-odd, and it's just fine. Cheap Panamas are the shizzle.

^This. It's good to have a fine dress panama for wear with your nice suits but I think something a bit rougher is infinitely more versatile (and possibly more authentic), and can be worn with just about everything else. Also, you're not going to cry too much if it blows away on the beach.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where to find the best value Alden Indy's online??

I their RRP is $512(calf), then go for who ships them the cheapest. You'll have difficulty with international shipping as only Alden of SF do it, but it should only cost you $60AUD through ComGateway(in Portland) for DHL. Most places will ship orders over $150 to continental U.S for free.

I just did a bit of research, and you can net them for $435.20 USD which will come to $490.75 AUD from Need Supply Co. They have a few makeups including the Original, CXL and a very nice exclusive makeup.

Last edited:

ryanohare

Reaction score

I their RRP is $512(calf), then go for who ships them the cheapest. You'll have difficulty with international shipping as only Alden of SF do it, but it should only cost you $60AUD through ComGateway(in Portland) for DHL. Most places will ship orders over $150 to continental U.S for free.

I just did a bit of research, and you can net them for $435.20 USD which will come to $490.75 AUD from Need Supply Co. They have a few makeups including the Original, CXL and a very nice exclusive makeup.

Cheers foxy, but why am I seeing them on there for $512? Where'd you get $435 from?

Thinking I might be in the States in the next month or two, so could save me some postage there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads