• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I checked out MJ Bale's polos the other day, the sizing didn't work for me (medium too slim, large way too big in the shoulders), but the fabric was nice.

The collar wasn't as "stand up-ish" as I would like though. Also, I found the sleeves to be inordinately long to my eye. I think these photos illustrates this fairly well:

http://www.themensshop.com.au/MJ-Bale-Cotton-Grey-Melange-Pique-Polo/

I guess I like more of a mid-bicep sleeve.

Lulzy

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good place in Melbourne for ties?

Also I am looking for a store in Melbourne that stocks Allen Edmonds shoes.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also I am looking for a store in Melbourne that stocks Allen Edmonds shoes.

Peter Sheppard used to carry Allen Edmonds, but I don't believe that they do anymore.

If you are (understandably) wary about buying them over the internet without trying them on first, there are a number of sites on the internet - and probably a couple of threads on this site - that discuss the fit of Allen Edmonds' various lasts. There's also a chart on the A-E website which details the shape and particular qualities of their lasts, so it might be of help in deciding which model to buy - here is a link.

Just be aware that the last on which the Park Avenue and Fifth Avenue models are made is very "flat", so if you have a higher instep (ie the vertical height of your foot), they might not fit.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone know what happened to the SF member Sator? I've read some extremely informative stuff from him over the past couple of years, does he still post?

I don't think that he posts on SF anymore, or if he does, it is very rarely.

He started his own forum a few years back, called the "Cutter and Tailor Forum", so as to focus on his particular interest in the construction of clothes - here's a link.

I also seem to remember that he's posted on the London Lounge, which is another, smaller clothing forum which dedicates a lot of time to cloth and construction of tailored clothing.

Last edited:

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't think that he posts on SF anymore, or if he does, it is very rarely.
He started his own forum a few years back, called the "Cutter and Tailor Forum", so as to focus on his particular interest in the construction of clothes - here's a link.
I also seem to remember that he's posted on the London Lounge, which is another, smaller clothing forum which dedicates a lot of time to cloth and construction of tailored clothing.

According to his profile, Sator hasn't posted for about a year, but he is still logging on - as recently as about a week ago.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, have a wedding coming Saturday. Afternoon and evening, temperature looks to be about 26C.

I'm thinking a navy blue suit with white stripe, solid white shirt and the HC navy check tie. Would that be too matchy, do you think?

Last edited:

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most people get a good fit in the AE 5 last (park aves etc.) by going down one in length, and one width wider.

Having said that, I say you should just order 2-3 sizes around where you think you'll be, bite the bullet on the return shipping costs for the first time and not leave yourself wondering about whether you've got the right size.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gents, have a wedding coming Saturday. Afternoon and evening, temperature looks to be about 26C.
I'm thinking a navy blue suit with white stripe, solid white shirt and the HC navy check tie. Would that be too matchy, do you think?

If it's outdoors at that temp, I'd dress to be as cool as possible! Better to be slightly less dapper than you could be but be the only man not sweating up a storm....

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sounds good, CD - round it off with a white linen pocket handkerchief. Is that the Prince of Wales check tie? If so, that's perfect.

Prof. B. Bear

Reaction score
Have my 5 year anniversary coming up at the start of December. Going to a local Vineyard for lunch and a bit of a stroll. Going to wear a navy linen suit and brown penny loafers. I'm after a white linen shirt and after watching Skyfall, am quite partial to tab collars now.

Will a tab collar on a white linen shirt just be ridiculous? I quite like button down collars too however the shirt will be worn with a tie and will probably be included in my work shirt rotation. Thoughts?

Additionally, thinking of going a peach or coral tie. Either silk knit or cotton as below. Solid choice or too wedding/gimicky? I'm trying to go for a Trad aesthetic.

Peach cotton
Coral silk knit

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have my 5 year anniversary coming up at the start of December. Going to a local Vineyard for lunch and a bit of a stroll. Going to wear a navy linen suit and brown penny loafers. I'm after a white linen shirt and after watching Skyfall, am quite partial to tab collars now.
Will a tab collar on a white linen shirt just be ridiculous? I quite like button down collars too however the shirt will be worn with a tie and will probably be included in my work shirt rotation. Thoughts?
Additionally, thinking of going a peach or coral tie. Either silk knit or cotton as below. Solid choice or too wedding/gimicky? I'm trying to go for a Trad aesthetic.
Peach cotton
Coral silk knit

Frankly - and this is, of course, just my personal opinion - I thought that the tab collars were the weakest part of Bond's outfits.

To me, tab collars are very "trad", in the US sense, and thus they cry out to be worn with other trad clothes - sack suits, Brooks Brothers hopsack blazers, grey flannel trousers, longwing shoes and so on. I think that Bond would have looked much better if he had worn his usual, spread collar shirts from the other recent Bond movies.

On the other hand - and this is possibly contradictory and will make me sound like a hypocrite - button-down collar shirts are more versatile than tab-collar shirts, despite the fact that they are also "trad". I wouldn't hesitate to wear a navy linen suit with a white, button-down collar linen shirt and a knit tie, but I wouldn't wear a tab collar shirt with that outfit. Then again, that's just my subjective view.

With regard to the ties, I'd definitely prefer to wear a knit tie and the coral silk knit doesn't look too bad although it is very bright. I think that some people on here have been a bit critical of the quality of the Tie Bar knit ties, but they are certainly very keenly priced.

Oh, and congratulations on the anniversary - I hope that you have a lovely day, regardless of what you decide to wear!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads