• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL, thanks Gerry :)

Perhaps we should have these English language lessons away from the Forum.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
What sort of horn/bone are suit buttons usually made of? how can you recognise them as opposed to a well coloured plastic?
EMGreenfield in Sydney might sell you some buttons. If you cant tell the difference between horn and plastic then no point paying for it:) These days the horn buttons are usually from buffalo or deer. The look, feel and "life" of a horn button sets it apart from plastic.
Guys, if anyone is interested - dropping prices again on the above (SPOILER). These items no longer fit me and are now at borderline ridiculous prices. Both are NEW with tags. If they're your size - I'd be considering either.
1. $550 down from $1395.
2. $280 down from $645.
Please get in touch via PM if you need more info
smile.gif
That osaka cut one is nice - love the lapel proportions and the shoulder fall.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EMGreenfield in Sydney might sell you some buttons. If you cant tell the difference between horn and plastic then no point paying for it:) These days the horn buttons are usually from buffalo or deer. The look, feel and "life" of a horn button sets it apart from plastic.
That osaka cut one is nice - love the lapel proportions and the shoulder fall.
I could be in a job interview one day, and the senior partner could start snickering:

Me: What?
Partner: *flicks buttons* are those plastic? What else about you is fake?
*calls security*
Remove this buffoon.
*I get dragged out*

Forever stuck in community centre ADR
Forever walking on line-o kitchen floors
Forever drinking 4 month old, mint flavoured instant coffee...

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I could be in a job interview one day, and the senior partner could start snickering:

*calls security*
Remove this buffoon.
*I get dragged out*

OR he could think ... damn we dont pay this guy much.. he has to wear plastic buttons zomgwtfbbq!~ lol

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

*calls security*
Remove this buffoon.
*I get dragged out*

on the bright side, at a community centre ADR you wont need horn buttons.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got my Owen and James red chambray shirt today. As I was opening the packaging, I looked in and thought to myself "I didn't order a white cotton shirt. ROB?!?!?!?". That's when I realised O&J send out their shirts in very nice cotton bags
shog[1].gif

In any case, this is a very well made shirt and I'm looking forward to putting this to good use over the coming months. I put a little more detail up on my blog: http://gezzaseyes.tumblr.com/post/35170937474/arrived-today-i-finally-got-around-to-ordering

The handwritten note was also a very nice touch.
fing02[1].gif
Great job, Rob and Cam!

If you haven't taken advantage of the sale, do consider it - I'm glad I did!

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I got my Owen and James red chambray shirt today. As I was opening the packaging, I looked in and thought to myself "I didn't order a white cotton shirt. ROB?!?!?!?". That's when I realised O&J send out their shirts in very nice cotton bags 
shog%5B1%5D.gif

In any case, this is a very well made shirt and I'm looking forward to putting this to good use over the coming months. I put a little more detail up on my blog: http://gezzaseyes.tumblr.com/post/35170937474/arrived-today-i-finally-got-around-to-ordering

The handwritten note was also a very nice touch. 
fing02%5B1%5D.gif
 Great job, Rob and Cam!

If you haven't taken advantage of the sale, do consider it - I'm glad I did!

I look forward to seeing a photograph of you wearing your Owen & James red chambray shirt with your Holland & Holland tie and your P. Johnson suit! :tounge:

Last edited:

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Michael Sy, I think you'll enjoy this from Ethan Newton:
What is luxury?
Relationships of substance and value with all the people in your world. The man who cuts your meat, grows your vegetables, fits your shoes, pulls your coffee.
Luxury is not being a slave to fashion, nor trend. Not shopping on sale, only to have more of what is not right. Luxury is having only in your life what is correct and right, and when the time is right.
Luxury is having an extra hour every day to read the paper, eat toast with your love before you leave the house, sit in a park at lunch and watch the grass grow. Even if it means you'll never drive an S-Class Mercedes or send your children to Knox.
What is value?
Value is paying 20 or 30 percent extra not to shop on sale. Value is the extra 50c it might cost to have a coffee that is truly superb, or the extra $30 a year you might tip your barista to remember that you like a single sugar and the milk extra hot.
Value isn't cheap. Value costs money, but it also costs time and consideration. Because if you value yourself, you don't skimp on what's important - time, quality, integrity.
It's one way of looking at things. It's the way Ethan looks at things, at least. Perhaps it's the right way, perhaps it's wrong. I don't know. Ethan's style of writing certainly romanticises it in such a way that it seems like the only conclusion. It's not. You have to decide what is/isn't fair
smile.gif

On the one occasion I wore the Metro cotton jacket, I wore a white t-shirt, the jacket (in blue) and jeans. But dress is as much about context as anything else. I work in an ad agency and have a very lax dress code. I don't even have to wear a collared shirt, unless I'm seeing a client, and even then it's not mandatory. Go figure. The more time I spend on StyleForum, the more I enjoy learning from those much more informed than I on the history of classic menswear (fxh, in particular, is very well informed and always helpful with offering constructive guidance). However, there's another side to the whole thing for me. I also think, '*******' about "rules". I'm 25 years old. Sometimes, I wish I had known more about collar gap or shoulder divots at 19, but would it have added any real meaning to my life at that stage? Probably not. They're clothes and as much as we like them, they're just that. Clothes. Wear whatever you like, make "mistakes" and have fun.

Ethan’s writing is very influential. When something is written clearly and in a simple manner it can be convincing. Considering he owns his own shop I can see why he is telling us not to chase the bargain J. I am sure he gets annoyed being constantly asked when the next Armoury sale is on. I can tell Rob is tired of me asking when the next O&J sale is on.

I can enjoy his interpretation of luxury and value. I had never considered value in the way he has. I had always considered value as the differential between the quality and the price paid for that quality. If the quality is exceptional, and the price is low, then in essence, you have found great value. However, his perspective is comes from a completely different place. Value is the extra you pay to get what is good – value is bought, not given.

I think both perspectives have their merits. In a pragmatic world a pragmatic approach is needed. You don’t buy clothes from Politix, because you think the construction, fabric and style is terrible quality – for the price paid. If that is not a measure of value, then what is? A few pages back when I was talking about Loake 1880s, someone said, “they are a great shoe for that price range” – this is value to me: quality at fair value.

I like your nonchalant attitude to clothing, an attitude I would like to adopt myself.

Quote:
TBMs post from ethan has always resounded well with me.
Luxury for me is having a day off when others are at work, pouring an exceptional coffee or spending time with my wife and kid.
Value i think is different from person to person because everyone has their own criteria and "values".
Re sportscoat if you want sub $400 you may need to stick to thrifting or mainstream brands like a sportscraft if you havent found what you are after at mjbale or the bone. Nothing wrong with these if it fits. You can work towards a mtm or bespoke piece later in life

Sportscraft have a couple of cotten linen half lined sports coats which appear versitile for both work and play. There is a linen/cotton navy which looks ok on.
http://www.sportscraft.com.au/jackets/wendell-hounds-tooth-jacket/w1/i15793482_1001508/
http://www.sportscraft.com.au/jackets/brixton-regular-fit-jacket/w1/i13767219_1001508/

Yes, this is def. what I will need to do until I can get back to exercise. A little boring and requires some self control (oh no!).
A little catch up on a few things discussed over last few days...
thebrownman - I lost a decent chuck of weight early last year (about 20kgs). Originally suffered through, then got a few decent things that could be altered altered, then sold or donated a lot of clothes and basically started again, which in a way was good as I could use the lessons learnt from making the mistakes over the years (your point about making mistakes and learning what works for you is so true). Slowly rebuilding a classic and versatile wardrobe, and once I got to a weight I was happy with I got myself as P Johnson number (MTM is good as apart from anything else having spent that much on a piece of clothing you are determined to stay in shape to wear it).
My advice for now, if you are still changing shape, is to get one suit altered as best as can be and just accept that it can will only serve you for a while and will prob. not be able to be sold on (thinking for your job and lifestyle you prob only need one good suit). Then once you are happy go for the P Johnson (or other MTM) number you really want. In the meantime if you need a little menswear purchase brighten up your week, shoes, pocket square, ties (though you prob have little use for them), socks or watches are the way to go. Good luck with it.
Mr Sy - in terms of sportscoats, I have said it before and I will say it again, if you can figure out your size, Boglioli is a good choice (if you do a search on this forum or my posts you should find place to get them within your price range and hear more on my views, I have 3 and am very happy with them). In the same vein re LBM 1911, Lardini and Piombo, but you may have to take the risk with sizing (though I believe places like Yoox and farfetch have good (and poss. free) returns policies).
PoP and fxh - great to read your views and discussions on monks, in particular black ones with double straps. I am still making up my mind and value your opinions. Realistically though most people will care less so I (obviously) need to please myself (and am having a bit of a relove of my black shoes at the moment) and hope that I do not end up in an important meeting with PoP/fhxh type chap judging me(!) if I get black double monk shoes. Really enjoy your in depth analysis. Am meeting Mr Nice Guy Nelson next week to look at a couple of his monks and get a better idea of what I want.
And to whoever asked where I box, I go to a place in Prahran, though only training, not fighting (however might consider that in the new year).
#apologies for fxh length post
#rambling in pink socks

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am trying a second hand P Johnson cotton jacket on tomorrow. If it fits I will take it. If not, I will walk over to Herringbone and try their two cotton jackets. If none of those are a go, I will try Sports Craft et al. I like the Boglioli jackets Pink Socks, but they are outside of my price range at this stage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads