• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by meister
Grenson has completely revamped under new management and the Rose line has gone. Grenson plans to have the high end shoes like their Masterpiece for Paul Stuart which I have and are wonderful shoes - fully made in the UK - and a cheaper/budget line assembled in India.

It's a pity they are doing away with their Rose line IMO. I have heard their Masterpieces are excellent - did you buy yours in store at Paul Stuart? How do they compare price / quality wise to e.g. C&J handgrades?

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grenson has definitely been trying to ramp up it's image and marketing (they currently have a 'brogue bar' in Selfridges).

I think there was a bit of scepticism in the UK when the new boys came in but I think it's good to see a brand get revved up.

bhall41

Reaction score
Just did some research on Grenson. There is an interesting thread here -

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=212207

See post 32 in particular which quotes the current owner, Tim Little, at length. It would appear that the Rose line has not in fact disappeared but has just been re-badged as G1, and will continue to be made in Grenson's factory in Northampton. The G2 shoes are made overseas (i.e. India). It is proposed that Masterpiece quality shoes will resume being made in due course.

The Grenson website only appears to feature G2 line shoes at the present time.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
Got a long cut across the toe of my shoe on my way to the train station! The toe dipped into a tram track and scraped the edge on the way up.
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
Cream and buff the hell out of it or what?

truevision

Reaction score
where should i have drinks with some mates in the melbourne conservative business dress area?

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
Got a long cut across the toe of my shoe on my way to the train station! The toe dipped into a tram track and scraped the edge on the way up.
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif

Cream and buff the hell out of it or what?

Adds character that's for sure!

porschemad911

Reaction score
Interesting reading all the conversation about shoes, especially some of the comments about Loake.

I have three pairs from the Shoemaker collection: a Kew in black, a Tweed in burnished calf and an Ayr 2 in black. I would have liked to step up to 1880 collection, but unfortunately I need a G fitting. Having said that, I'm very happy with the ones I have. They are made well enough and to my eyes at least, look great.

I'm sure there are much better shoes, but these are good enough for me, and are great value at about $250 AUD each (delivered). I aim to make them last; I condition the leather regularly and have resoled the Ayr.

But then again, I'm the sort of person who only has to reach a certain level of quality and is happy. I'm perfectly happy with buying tailored fit Charles Tyrwhitt dress shirts as well, even though I know there's far better shirts out there. I wash them carefully, iron them crisply and enjoy them.

I say, appreciate, take care of and enjoy what you have :) Which I'm sure people with shoes higher up the food chain than Loake do!

apple3210

Reaction score
any1 in perth know where i can try on Loake Shoes or anything similar? went to DJ's in Perth City but they don't have any.

ewc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apple3210
any1 in perth know where i can try on Loake Shoes or anything similar? went to DJ's in Perth City but they don't have any.
DJs in Perth seem to be neutered of some of the nicer stuff they have interstate. As for nice shoes in Perth (not sure about Loake) but there's a place in Carillon City, and also Parker and Co in Trinity Arcade. I waked past the latter today looking for Favazzo G & A (really great people, watched some Alive and Cooking with them as A pinned me up); didn't go in because it gives off an awesome powerful 'you are unworthy' vibe.

jobro

Reaction score
Brogues of Claremont, in the old theater lane.

apple3210

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jobro
Brogues of Claremont, in the old theater lane.

cheers, will give it a look.

do you know if they carry the 1880 range? the simple, clean cut looking ones.

i just want to try them on for size and then order off pediwear.

lol parker and co does give off that vibe and they only carry the well known brands. i bet if you walked in without a perfect tailored suit, you'd get some weird stares
tongue.gif

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bhall41
It's a pity they are doing away with their Rose line IMO. I have heard their Masterpieces are excellent - did you buy yours in store at Paul Stuart? How do they compare price / quality wise to e.g. C&J handgrades?

I got mine here on SF. They are a crust type leather with that toning and get an exquisite high shine. As good as EG maybe better.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porschemad911
Interesting reading all the conversation about shoes, especially some of the comments about Loake.

I have three pairs from the Shoemaker collection: a Kew in black, a Tweed in burnished calf and an Ayr 2 in black. I would have liked to step up to 1880 collection, but unfortunately I need a G fitting. Having said that, I'm very happy with the ones I have. They are made well enough and to my eyes at least, look great.

I'm sure there are much better shoes, but these are good enough for me, and are great value at about $250 AUD each (delivered). I aim to make them last; I condition the leather regularly and have resoled the Ayr.

But then again, I'm the sort of person who only has to reach a certain level of quality and is happy. I'm perfectly happy with buying tailored fit Charles Tyrwhitt dress shirts as well, even though I know there's far better shirts out there. I wash them carefully, iron them crisply and enjoy them.

I say, appreciate, take care of and enjoy what you have :) Which I'm sure people with shoes higher up the food chain than Loake do!

Yeah yeah they all say that when they come to SF and then a few years later.....
musicboohoo[1].gif

jobro

Reaction score
cheers, will give it a look.

do you know if they carry the 1880 range? the simple, clean cut looking ones.

I'm not sure but I am leaning towards yes.

lol parker and co does give off that vibe and they only carry the well known brands. i bet if you walked in without a perfect tailored suit, you'd get some weird stares
tongue.gif

Honestly, there are dudes that walk in there and drop large numbers of money on clothes and still wear square toed shoes. Half of their clients suits don't even fit significantly better than the dudes wearing Pierre Cardin.

Have you tried the Murray Street store? Sometimes there are decent things to be had there, and often the guy will give you an extra discount if you ask for a better price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 108 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads