• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A further advantage of the NAB Visa Gold debit is that you can have it in your hands in 3-4 days, getting a 28 Degrees Card takes a bit longer.... Good if you forget to organise the money side of things until just before you leave for a trip! The NAB card also comes with some form of travel insurance if you book things like flights on it (although I would not rely on it as my sole form of insurance). The 28 degrees card has purchase protection: http://www.28degreescard.com.au/insurance/shoppers-insurance.html

Both great cards for travel or shopping online.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents,

At the risk of looking like a tosser, I thought that I'd post some photos of my shoe collection, more as a guide to different makes/lasts/models of shoes than to show off.

The pictures show shoes from a variety of brands, including Loake, Barkers, Alfred Sargent, Cheaney (for Herringbone), Crockett and Jones, Edward Green, Florsheim, Zegna, Ferragamo Tramezza, Santoni and Berluti.

I've divided them up into a few photos below.

The first two photos are mainly balmorals, with a few other shoes thrown in for good measure.

Back row, L-R: Barkers, C&J Drummond (348 last), C&J Asquith (337 last), Berluti
Front row, L-R: Florsheim, Santoni FAM, Alfred Sargent for Peal & Co for Brooks Brothers, and Zegna fatte a mano.

And a "bird's eye" view:

The next photo is also mainly balmorals, including a pair of balmoral boots, and also shows a pair of Loake blucher wingtip boots and a pair of rather interesting spectator double monks made by C&J for RL Polo:

Back row, L-R: Edward Green "Asquith" on the 202 last in Edwardian dark oak, Grenson for Paul Stuart, Loake (026 last), Ferragamo Tramezza, Loake (Capital last)
Middle row, L-R: Santoni FAM, Stefano Branchini, Ferragamo Lavarazione Originale, Loake (026 last)
Front row, L-R: C&J for RL Polo, Edward Green on the 202 last

The final photo shows some Cheaney for Herringbone loafers at the back, along with a pair by "Chapman and Moore" that I bought from an Australian member here. In the front are two pairs of driving loafers - the "camel" ones are Herringbone and the blue ones are Milano. The final two pairs are C&J for Peal & Co for Brooks Brothers, and Ferragamo Tramezza.

Enjoy! I'm happy to answer any questions about fit etc as best I can.

Last edited:

__PG__

Reaction score
You have way too many shoes. ;)

Having said that, can you talk about the difference in wear over time comparing Loake and Cheaney with C&J and Edward Green?

What have your experiences been with the Zegna and Berluti shoes versus C&J and Edward Green?

tone76

Reaction score

Zambelli seem to have two lines of shirts.

The premium one is called Zambelli. The Zambelli brand business shirts are absolutely first-class.

Their second-tier label is called Nic Green. They are also excellent quality, the styles are sometimes not quite as, well, stylish as the Zambelli line, but that's the only difference.

Both highly recommended.

I've never seen the Zambellis. I do like the Nic Green stuff, but that said the only Nic Greens I've bought have been thrifted anyway. Will keep an eye out for Zambelli in my travels.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You have way too many shoes. ;)

I just realised that I didn't include any of my black shoes in the photos! :fu:

Having said that, can you talk about the difference in wear over time comparing Loake and Cheaney with C&J and Edward Green?

The leather on the Loakes is not bad, but not surprisingly, it is not nearly as fine as the leather on the C&Js and the EGs. Hence, the Loakes do tend to crease a bit more coarsely. The soles of the Loakes wear well, though, and I actually think that the firmer soles on the Loakes - which some people complain about as they have found that it can take longer to wear in and become comfortable - wear down more slowly through use, which will mean that the Loakes will probably require re-soling less frequently than the EGs or the C&Js.

What have your experiences been with the Zegna and Berluti shoes versus C&J and Edward Green?

I'd say that the Zegna shoes are on a par with C&J, and I'd say that C&J handgrade (such as the Audley on the 337 last) is really not that far off the quality of the EGs. The Berlutis are amazing, and the patination and leather quality is fantastic. Even though the toe on the Berlutis is quite chiselled, the shoe itself is not that narrow, although it still looks sleek. They are excellent shoes. The Zegna FAM, Berluti, C&J handgrade and EGs all have closed, channelled soles. The C&J benchgrade (Drummonds on the 348 last) have an open, channelled sole and the finishing on the rear seam at the back of the shoe is a little less elegant than on the Zegnas, C&J handgrade, EGs and Berlutis.

Of all the shoes, I think that the finishing - including the fineness of the stitching - is most impressive on the Berlutis, Santoni FAMs, and the Branchinis.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blahman, I know nothing about japan except cash is the go.

I'm still in Taiwan, I just use my normal bendigo credit card and cash card and speak to my bank manager before I go about the rates etc and not getting blocked cos of foreign spending .

Here I get out cash at the 7/11 anytime for $3 a withdrawal. So get get out $300 or so aud at a time.

You'll possibly find if you get the spreadsheet out that the charges don't actually amount to all that much and you are dealing with your own bank and manager mif things go wrong, eg I can just email and or ring my bank manager direct if I lose card, or something goes berserk.

The 28 degrees card isn't al plain sailing. They have some weird penalties if you get smart and try to use it as a cash card. I forget details but I think whirlpool forum has a good thread. All in all for the sake of around $20 in charges it doesn't make sense to **** around and not use your own bank. That said bendigo is truly customer friendly. Not just PR bullshit.

Btw I'm still impersonating you and chatting up hello kitty girls, promising marriage and citizen ship and giving your address to their fathers on the mainland.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The other thing I have against the 28 degree card is that it's a GE product. GE is bunch of unprincipled pricks who prey on the financially unsophisticated and those who can least afford it with high interest rates and penalties. They are the suppliers of Harvey Norman 12months " free" credit etc. Not free at all, there's and upfront fee and extortionate rates if you go over the 12 months or whatever.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dejour is definitely open 7 days a week, 10 - 5 on weekends. I know because I tried to convince the owner to actually take some time off. I thought my 25 hour working week was bad enough :S

I find with Travellers, they are extremely generous with their free alterations. I have taken a pair of pants back twice to get the length just right. When I got my first suit, I didn't have too much knowledge of the finer details of alterations, yet they decided 3 separate alterations were necessary as I had hunched shoulders, to rid the jacket of excess fabric across the back of the neck. I guess in summary, I feel they are generous with their time.

The finer details: There are so many different styles that it's hard to talk about their whole range, but my suits have more structured shoulders, armhole is slim without being D&G, skinny tie, winkelpicker thin.
The quarters of my suit jacket are marginally open, without being too extreme, but again, this may be just my style. I have heard that they do custom jobs for another couple of hundred, however I have no experience of this. They also make their own shirts which can be tailor made. I'm thinking of going and purchasing some at around the $120 mark, as unfortunately, I have monkey arms :(
Nothing wrong with Travellors. They used to make for a lot of name brands and still do a lot for some brands and small shop brands. They don't do fully floating g canvas. But that isn't the first or even the most important thing to look for in a suit. They do offer decent suits in good fabric, well made and affordable. Keep in mind they do real adjustments in the upstairs factory where the suit is made, they aren't just some alterationalist who is a dressmaker turned mens alterations. Their alterations are free. Really free. Even for big jobs, sleeves etc. That can mean $150 on a RTW suit. Plus they know what they are doing. And you can keep going back for adjustments. They have. Huge range at the factory to try on or look at. I don't have any but a mate uses them. I find the sales guy a bit oily and his clothes taste is excretable , if you can talk to the actuall tailor guy he's much much better and down to earth as well.

eightace

Reaction score
I've never seen the Zambellis. I do like the Nic Green stuff, but that said the only Nic Greens I've bought have been thrifted anyway. Will keep an eye out for Zambelli in my travels.

I've only seen Zambelli in Sydney, I believe they have a shop in Balmain. Their full-priced shirts are something like $130, but when they're on sale at the factory outlet, they range from $50-70. Outstanding value, I reckon.

Dicko

Reaction score
My workmate ordered some AE fifth street boots on the endless.com sale today. He got them in dark brown. I will see the boss's reaction to them and then think about some brown Strands if he reacts positively :slayer:

RemyMichel

Reaction score

What are their exchange rates like? If good I might apply for one for next trip. My trip is next week - poor planning on my part...
Looking at prepaid travel cards or using my existing credit/debit cards. Carrying whole wads of cash is a little risky.

There exchange rates are quite good, I've had mine for bout 5 years now and i wouldn't use anything else

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads