• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
has anyone found magazine stores/newsagents in Melbourne that sell "The Rake"? MagNation doesn't seem to have it, surprisingly.

You can only get The Rake in Melbourne via a subscription.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, disappointing about The Rake only being available by subscription. It'd be nice at times to have a flick through in Mag Nation while girlfriend shops on Greville Street..

5iver, I second everything that ColdEyedPugilist said. The C&J Belgrave is a handgrade on the 337 last - it has a certain Italian sensibility, in my opinion, while remaining true to its Northampton origin.

Allen Edmonds shoes, though nice, are by no means sleek and will likely look "old man-ish" to you. That said, the Ralph Lauren 'Made in America' shoes we receive here are often manufactured by Allen Edmonds and if it is something you like, then do try to pick some up on sale - they can be had cheaply, $200 - $250.

ryanohare

Reaction score

OK guys so any advice would be appreciated.. I am starting at a big corporate firm in Sydney at the end of the year and have to build my wardrobe. So far i have 1 Thai-bespoke cashmere suit black, 1 OTR black, and 1 OTR navy blue.. 5 fitted shirts... 3 tailored, and 2 are emporio armani (i haven't found another brand whose shirts fit me OTR as well as Emporio Armani... I am lanky - tall + skinny and any suggestions are most welcome).

Though I am skinny, I work out quite a bit, so my posture isn't too bad, but i would be borderline underweight..I have a budget of 5,000$AUD and need the following (in priority):

-2 pairs of shoes, as I only have 1 pair of average black shoes... what colours and stores should I go for? Between tabac, cognac & black, what colours should they be? I would prefer both to be laced... I have liked the shoes I've seen in Prada + Gucci, but have yet to check out Salvatore Ferragamo. Are Zegna worth looking for shoes?

-1 new suit, but so many questions.. MTM or bespoke? I've come to realise certain brands will fit people with certain body types better, so do you have a brand to recommend for 6 foot skinny guy with small waist? Should I try Emporio Armani, and how much would it cost? Also, I am thinking grey, but what shade of grey would be good for a junior in a corporate environment?

-Some shirts.. There is a discount store with a 4-letter word on king annd castlereagh with lots of designer brands that are hard to find in Sydney (such as Dior, Lanvin etc.) heavily discounted.. i dont remember the name (maybe VUOI) but is it worth going there?Should I be buying fitted shirts of reputable brands (I am a 39' but like to get waist tailored) and then get them tailored. or should i go bespoke right away? My priority are the shoes, then the suit... money for shirts will always come later.So any advice for
-Sydney shopping, particularly shoes and a slim-fitted suit for lanky guys
-When to shop (will there be a standard sales time upcoming where I can get lots of value for my 5k)?
-Brands for tall, skinny guys that people have tried from experienceThanks a lot in advance! I am new to Sydney, and shopping for anything of quality is so ridiculously overpriced, I would like to at least get value for money and appear stylish and professional in my upcoming work environment.
Spend $1500 of your $5000 on some return flights to the US and buy all your clothes there. Even with that $3500 you'll still get more (and better) clothes than you would with your $5K in Australia.

bhall41

Reaction score
For those of us in Melbourne, I just wanted to give a particular watch repairer a plug.

For simple repairs, bracelet adjustment, battery replacement, pressure testing etc I would unreservedly recommend Steven Domenis at Momentum, in the Suncorp Building (shop 36, 447 Collins St, cnr William St).

Steven took over the business from a watch repairer who retired a couple of years ago, who had been at the same shop for 50 years or something! He is Swiss trained (worked at the Omega service centre) and passionate and knowledgeable about watches, expecially mechanical watches. His prices are very reasonable. Steven also happens to be a nice guy, who is keen to keep his customers happy.

At the moment, for bigger jobs, I am still using Michael Presser at Precision Timing, but that might change over time (pun not intended!).

Last edited:

5iver

Reaction score
blahman and COP thank you SO MUCH for your contributions, they have been really helpful and informative. I will definitely check out the Crockets and look to get at least 1 pair from them... Thursday is late night shopping so should be the day that I go out and buy my shoes.

I am now seriously considering P Johnson for my suit and will arrange a fitting. Even though I am conservative business dress-based, I have been convinced to go to P Johnson. Should I call to arrange one beforehand and try to arrange on the days that Ethan is working, or should I show up one day in the store and tell them I would like a fitted suit? And for you guys who have already gone through the process of buying a suit from them, are there certain extras that are a must (like button-stitched holes etc?). Of course, I am flexible with my pricing and want my suit to last long-term so am happy to spend on it.

Now as for choice of material... I have 1 cashmere suit (black), and 2 cotton suits. Should I be going for a wool suit, since it seems it is the most durable material, or would I suffer when it comes to summer/humidity madness in Sydney?

I have been reading these forums a lot before I registered, and I am well aware how highly regarded Charles Nakhle is.. The only problem is I do not have a car and have no sense of direction, so venturing to the west is scary for me as I have never done it before.

And lastly, I am new to the working environment and new to 'fashion' per se, and would just like to say that you guys are so knowledgeable... just reading threads on here have provided me with invaluable tips on fashion... I have so much to learn, but am happy with the friendliness in this online community, so will be sticking around, with lots more questions to annoy you all!

Lastly, any good websites, suggestions on shirt/tie matching. If I am to get shirts from P Johnson, and ideally I want solid colours, what are must have colours that go with black, navy blue and/or grey suits? I already have 2 whites and 1 light blue, what should I be aiming for next? MY dad suggested beige, pink and grey shirts but I am hesitant. He also suggested that I absolutely must have at least 1 pair of shoes that are tabac coloured and cognac coloured, as they match well with black suits. Any thoughts? I just told him that I have been wearing black shoes and black tie with my black suit the past couple months that I have been working, and he was horrified, asking me if I worked at a morgue!

budgiesmuggler

Reaction score

blahman and COP thank you SO MUCH for your contributions, they have been really helpful and informative. I will definitely check out the Crockets and look to get at least 1 pair from them... Thursday is late night shopping so should be the day that I go out and buy my shoes.

I am now seriously considering P Johnson for my suit and will arrange a fitting. Even though I am conservative business dress-based, I have been convinced to go to P Johnson. Should I call to arrange one beforehand and try to arrange on the days that Ethan is working, or should I show up one day in the store and tell them I would like a fitted suit? And for you guys who have already gone through the process of buying a suit from them, are there certain extras that are a must (like button-stitched holes etc?). Of course, I am flexible with my pricing and want my suit to last long-term so am happy to spend on it.Now as for choice of material... I have 1 cashmere suit (black), and 2 cotton suits. Should I be going for a wool suit, since it seems it is the most durable material, or would I suffer when it comes to summer/humidity madness in Sydney?

I have been reading these forums a lot before I registered, and I am well aware how highly regarded Charles Nakhle is.. The only problem is I do not have a car and have no sense of direction, so venturing to the west is scary for me as I have never done it before.

And lastly, I am new to the working environment and new to 'fashion' per se, and would just like to say that you guys are so knowledgeable... just reading threads on here have provided me with invaluable tips on fashion... I have so much to learn, but am happy with the friendliness in this online community, so will be sticking around, with lots more questions to annoy you all!

Lastly, any good websites, suggestions on shirt/tie matching. If I am to get shirts from P Johnson, and ideally I want solid colours, what are must have colours that go with black, navy blue and/or grey suits? I already have 2 whites and 1 light blue, what should I be aiming for next? MY dad suggested beige, pink and grey shirts but I am hesitant. He also suggested that I absolutely must have at least 1 pair of shoes that are tabac coloured and cognac coloured, as they match well with black suits. Any thoughts? I just told him that I have been wearing black shoes and black tie with my black suit the past couple months that I have been working, and he was horrified, asking me if I worked at a morgue!
I know you've already got a black suit, but that's a colour that most of us avoid for a work suit. I've got some Charles Nakhale shirts and they are absolutely lovely. They cost around $220 each, and are all made in his workshop at Parramatta. If you're working in law (which it sounds like you are), I'd limit my shirts to blue and white, and stripes of blue and white! Get yourself a pink one for some colour. Once you start working you'll get to know what other colours you can get away with. I'd also recommend you go to P Johnson, you'll get a much better suit there than from any MTM brand around town. You'll also be the best dressed grad (and probably better dressed than most of the partners!).

__PG__

Reaction score
5iver : Your dad sounds like he knows what he's on about. Stick with him.

As a humorous aside, I took a mate of mine shirt shopping at Azzaro last week. He's started work at a hedge fund. He bought five blue shirts. Solid light blue, solid medium blue, thin light-blue stripes, thick light-blue stripes and a light blue with a cross weave/texture.

I wept.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lastly, any good websites, suggestions on shirt/tie matching. If I am to get shirts from P Johnson, and ideally I want solid colours, what are must have colours that go with black, navy blue and/or grey suits? I already have 2 whites and 1 light blue, what should I be aiming for next? MY dad suggested beige, pink and grey shirts but I am hesitant. He also suggested that I absolutely must have at least 1 pair of shoes that are tabac coloured and cognac coloured, as they match well with black suits. Any thoughts? I just told him that I have been wearing black shoes and black tie with my black suit the past couple months that I have been working, and he was horrified, asking me if I worked at a morgue!</p>

From what I've heard about P.Johnson, Patrick or others there will be able to make some suggestions about shirt colours and about colour matching with ties.
To my mind, if you get a few classic silk print ties and perhaps a few grenadine ties in solid colours and you'll be set.
If you want some ideas for "classic" tie patterns, you could browse through some of the "soporific tie pr0n" thread - it's not as bad as it sounds, honestly!

To my mind, blue is the most flexible shirting colour, and most of the shirts in my wardrobe incorporate blue into the pattern. You can have a plain, light blue poplin, a light blue oxford cloth, a light blue, small gingham check, a royal blue small gingham check, a blue and white bengal stripe, a blue and white pencil stripe, a blue and white graph check, a... well, I'm sure that you get the picture! Whilst a nice white shirt is a wardrobe staple, I find myself wearing blue a lot more as it is a warmer colour and it goes with so many suit and tie options. Pink is also nice, and a warm colour, too. I've got a few shirts that are either plain pink poplin or pink and blue check etc. Grey doesn't float my boat but it could look good on you, depending on skin colouring.

If you want some ideas for combining shirts and ties, you could have a look at sites such as the following so as to get some ideas on combining patterns and colours:
P.Johnson's tumblr blog
Charles Tyrwhitt website, showing shirt and tie combinations

With regard to shoes, I respectfully disagree with your dad!
I think that tan/chestnut shoes and cognac coloured shoes are great, and I have several pairs of each in different styles, but I don't wear them with black suits.
I think that black shoes go best with black suits, but then my mother always taught me that one never wears brown with black! However, perhaps that's outdated thinking now. Anyway, as a personal opinion, I think that brown and cognac shoes look fantastic with grey/charcoal suits and navy suits.

Last edited:

Oleg

Reaction score

I am now seriously considering P Johnson for my suit and will arrange a fitting. Even though I am conservative business dress-based, I have been convinced to go to P Johnson. Should I call to arrange one beforehand and try to arrange on the days that Ethan is working, or should I show up one day in the store and tell them I would like a fitted suit? And for you guys who have already gone through the process of buying a suit from them, are there certain extras that are a must (like button-stitched holes etc?). Of course, I am flexible with my pricing and want my suit to last long-term so am happy to spend on it.Now as for choice of material... I have 1 cashmere suit (black), and 2 cotton suits. Should I be going for a wool suit, since it seems it is the most durable material, or would I suffer when it comes to summer/humidity madness in Sydney?

Not sure I'd wear anything other than black shoes with a black suit. Grey or blue suits with the tabac or cognac? Sure, so long as your workplace isn't an exclusively black shoe office. Bear in mind that black is always appropriate in the workplace whereas brown or variants won't always be so I'd get a couple of pairs of black before venturing into brown etc. I'd also avoid white shirts with a black suit. With shirts and tie matching, it's slightly contingent on your colouring. A selection of blue shirts will be the most flexible and should be fine, regardless so a good place to start. But I avoid red or yellow ties or shirt patterns - just don't suit me for some reason - whereas I'm fine with anything pink or lavender. Pretty much anything will go with a blue shirt so it's a question of sorting something that suits you. There's a mania on SF for solid coloured ties but with a solid suit and shirt you can get away with being a bit more adventurous with your tie too (though avoid anything that's too shiny - it'll look cheap). The flipside of this is that solid ties will go with pretty much any of your blue or white-based shirts so will be more flexible. If you know your collar size, you can get good deals on shirts and ties from the British makers like TM Lewin or Charles Tyrwhitt (remember to order the slim or tailored fit ones). In terms of weight, you'll not get anything that'll do you the full year and neither is there anything that'll stop you sweating your chuff off in the Sydney summer (you'd be hot in shorts and t shirt so the addition of shirt with collar done up and a jacket is going to make you hot.). If you've got a couple of cotton ones for summer already, personally I'd get something in a midweight wool that'll do you for spring/autumn and, with the addition of overcoat or trench coat, cold winter days too. I'm sure the folks at PJ can advise on specifics. But you have to be careful with the whole colour thing too: I was working in British politics when the Labour MPs all 'had their colours done' by a fellow MP (Babs Follett, wife of novelist Ken Follet, fwiw). It was the height of New Labour's media obsession and she offered to make them all look TV-friendly. She drapped swatches of different coloured cloth around them to see whether they were a summer, a winter, spring or autumn type :brick: Anyone with a hint of red/russet/auburn in their colouring was deemed an autumn and told to wear appropriate colours and all of a sudden they all started wearing green suits, yellow shirts and orange ties. It was fecking hideous. All these previously normally-dressed people dressed up like leprechauns with court appearances. Ugly stuff.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

5iver : Your dad sounds like he knows what he's on about. Stick with him.
As a humorous aside, I took a mate of mine shirt shopping at Azzaro last week. He's started work at a hedge fund. He bought five blue shirts. Solid light blue, solid medium blue, thin light-blue stripes, thick light-blue stripes and a light blue with a cross weave/texture.
I wept.

Hey blue is a great colour :laugh: Especially if you are a lazy dresser like me. I have 10 white shirts, and 5 blues in my collection of 20 odd shirts. I crawl out of bed in the morning still half asleep and slap on whatever shirt and random tie from my tie box and still look half respectable.

Texmo

Reaction score
Hey blue is a great colour
laugh.gif
Especially if you are a lazy dresser like me. I have 10 white shirts, and 5 blues in my collection of 20 odd shirts. I crawl out of bed in the morning still half asleep and slap on whatever shirt and random tie from my tie box and still look half respectable.

I have just started working again after taking a solid 18 month break. I have been looking at getting some shirts made by http://www.moderntailor.com/ have you seen the selection? I am not a lazy dresser but I am a lazy shopper. How are you supposed to choose from 2000 different fabric options!

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

She drapped swatches of different coloured cloth around them to see whether they were a summer, a winter, spring or autumn type :brick: Anyone with a hint of red/russet/auburn in their colouring was deemed an autumn and told to wear appropriate colours and all of a sudden they all started wearing green suits, yellow shirts and orange ties. It was fecking hideous. All these previously normally-dressed people dressed up like leprechauns with court appearances. Ugly stuff.

:uhoh::lol:

Last edited:

jobro

Reaction score

...Lastly, any good websites, suggestions on shirt/tie matching. If I am to get shirts from P Johnson, and ideally I want solid colours, what are must have colours that go with black, navy blue and/or grey suits? ...

Try these two links. The first is a blog by member Phat Guido. Great photography and examples of 'shirt/tie matching'. Second link is the What Are You Wearing Today thread, it's got many useful posts/pictures sometimes people don't always do things 'right' but the comments in the thread will usually send you in the right direction. This site is about developing your own style and generally not about following fashion trends.

http://mostexerent.tumblr.com/

http://www.styleforum.net/t/234255/hof-what-are-you-wearing-right-now-part-iii/0_40

Plestor

Reaction score
5iver, don't worry about matching if you are conservative shirts and ties you can pretty much just pick at random. Pocket squares are there to a contrast for me so I don't bother there either.

Try switching ties and shirts in your mind Phat Guido's blog and see what I meant about how useful or otherwise matching is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads