• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't looked at it closely but Aus Post always seems quicker and has local offices for pickup than most couriers.

(As a side note I'd like to see Aus Post makes its local offices work as pickup places*, perhaps in conjunction with 7/11 or service stations so we could have 24/7 POs - for a wide range of online goods - for a small fee - such as groceries)

We have stupid courier mobs that wont leave on verandah and require a bloody trip across Melbourne to pick up from their depot if you are not home. Said trip taking 2 hours across town IN Business hours. FTFAJ.

UK Post seems bloody marvelous - it might cost too much public $$ I don't know - but it sure is fast and accurate - there and here.

* no blahman - not THAT type of pickup place.

Last edited:

Selvaggio

Reaction score

Sydney mini-meet up over a cold one maybe?

Did anyone take you up on this? I wouldn't be adverse to Sydney meet up - but I don't think there are that many 'siders here....certainly seems to be many more Victorians than other states and territories -

...which might explain why MEL makes it on to PutThisOn's starting line up for most stylish manswear city in the world....'versing' (to quote little selvaggio) San Francisco.

Go MEL!

http://putthison.com/

Axel Ferguson

Reaction score

I haven't looked at it closely but Aus Post always seems quicker and has local offices for pickup than most couriers.

(As a side note I'd like to see Aus Post makes its local offices work as pickup places*, perhaps in conjunction with 7/11 or service stations so we could have 24/7 POs - for a wide range of online goods - for a small fee - such as groceries)

We have stupid courier mobs that wont leave on verandah and require a bloody trip across Melbourne to pick up from their depot if you are not home. Said trip taking 2 hours across town IN Business hours. FTFAJ.

UK Post seems bloody marvelous - it might cost too much public $$ I don't know - but it sure is fast and accurate - there and here.

What he says. Don't privatize your mail service, we have done that here. The only thing that will come out of it is them cutting costs and closing down offices and cutting back on deliveries to make a/more profit. Your end up with a company that has a monopoly on personal mail, which you have to subsidize heavily to keep your mail boxes and post offices open, better to just pay for it directly. Probably more efficient that way.

pharmaboy

Reaction score
agree with most of our points FXH, but will add one.

catching more incoming GST will drive more people overseas for holidays too IMO. If I've got a choice between cairns and hawaii, and the cost differential is $400 or so per week - then hawaii wins out for the lower cost shopping - much like people used to routinely travel to hong kong for similar reasons.

For the economy it is better that I stay local for holidays and ship gods here imo.

I'm also not quite sure how we can have a free trade agreement, yet for example mercury marine can forbid their US distributors from dealing with Australia, and the local distributor can run a 50% greater RRP margin than in the US (hell, that GST sure seems to have a multiplier effect.....)

Banana Cognac

Reaction score
Wont happen - to get goods over $1000 Customs and AQIS cleared can take up to three days now - imagine when you add goods under $1000 - will take too long to clear, and with APS cost cutting the chances of more staff being employed by AQIS and Customs wont happen.

The $1000 threshold will stay.

LTM

Reaction score

Well done for keeping this issue in teh public eye FXH.
I think you'll find that the parcel delivery part of OzPost is already privatised. I have rels that do it, they love ebay! They are required to have the OzPost logo on their vans but they periodically tender for the rounds and are paid per item I think.

You are right about the delay, I did this job in the early 80's at customs. The parcels go on a conveyor belt, the dogs sniff for drugs, maybe explosives now? Likely looking parcels (it was always about the money!) get dragged and opened. Then the contents are assessed, then you are sent a little postcard, then you rush in and line up with everyone else in your lunch break (if you found a park), you are stuck behind the punter arguing his case who will be dealt with sympathetically of course! your taxes pay for all the extra wharehousing and public servants, you run a red light rushing back to the office...

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

25 and sunny today. Day off so might hit a beach.

Bastarda. Great 21c today but beach is hours away, merde! I think my time as a tree hugger is drawing to end.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

agree with most of our points FXH, but will add one.

catching more incoming GST will drive more people overseas for holidays too IMO. If I've got a choice between cairns and hawaii, and the cost differential is $400 or so per week - then hawaii wins out for the lower cost shopping - much like people used to routinely travel to hong kong for similar reasons.

For the economy it is better that I stay local for holidays and ship gods here imo.

I'm also not quite sure how we can have a free trade agreement, yet for example mercury marine can forbid their US distributors from dealing with Australia, and the local distributor can run a 50% greater RRP margin than in the US (hell, that GST sure seems to have a multiplier effect.....)

It wasn't long ago I could fly return to see my daughter in Taiwan with a stop in HK nearly as cheap as I could fly to Perth. I got to Scotland a couple of years ago to stay with my brother for around $1600 via amsterdam and buy tweed jackets at $500 less than it cost here. And dope was cheaper and easier to get in Amsterdam than it is here. Not that I ......too many german and USA hippies and 70s music for my tastes.

Don't get me going on FTAs or intellectual property or ....with the USA -

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

...Lets not talk about pricing.

The classic outfit ( doesn't look all l that bad) on the guy on page 70 adds up to around $1,800 in GANT at DJs - the shoes alone - a bad interpretation of Sperry Topsiders are $450

I reckon I could put the clothes/ look together from online sources, not using GANT , for around $200 - $300 and shoes for $200 - hell you can buy Sperrys here for around $200.

From what little I can see the DJs prices for GANT may not be that out of line with USA prices for GANT - anyone have a good idea of USA prices? - but the range of GANT here seems much much more restricted in range than the US range.

Interesting.

Of course, unsurprisingly, the prices are horrendous. You can buy Sperry Topsiders from the US for under $70 from numerous sites, with free or inexpensive shipping. Even at AU$200 they're clearly too expensive (particularly for a pair of boat shoes, for heaven's sake), to say nothing of $450!?!?!

Speaking of boat shoes, I bought a couple of pairs from Land's End during one of their recent sales for $59.95 a pair - one blue pair and one green pair. Exceptionally comfortable, and I now think that I should have started wearing them 20 years ago. Unfortunately, however, I had an almost irrational hatred of anything resembling boat shoes, moccasins, or loafers at that time...

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unfortunately, however, I had an almost irrational hatred of anything resembling boat shoes, moccasins, or loafers at that time...

Nothing irrational about it. What a pity you lost that hatred. Next you'll tell me you wear them with no socks and rolled up chinos or even worse madras checked shorts. Oh dear.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
guys, what pocket square should one get for a navy suit?

Lots of options - plain white as a starter, or blue with white dots, or something with red/ burgundy and white dots.

There's a lot mor experts here than me on pocket squares , take it easy , plain white is already pushing boundaries in some places. Always understand your context and milieu , otherwise you'll be a dick.

xCrunchx

Reaction score
Cheapest way to get GATs or Adidas Resplits or any other sf approved nonballer shoe to australia? pm if anyone knows a good way ie free shipping or something

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Which courier require you to pop down to their depot? Couriers that came around when no ones home always leave a card saying to call them to rearrange another time for them to come around again.

And I am disappoint on the *.

Nothing irrational about it. What a pity you lost that hatred. Next you'll tell me you wear them with no socks and rolled up chinos or even worse madras checked shorts. Oh dear.

Nothing wrong with good looking loafers. I've been thinking about getting a pair of these:

Selvaggio

Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics