• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

__PG__

Reaction score
I have an iron, ironing board and showers at work. I don't have a lockable storage space to store my clothes. There is no way I'm leaving my suits 'unguarded' in a work change rooms..even the 2nd-hand ones I got off eBay and thriftshops for peanuts...as they can't be replaced.

Axel Ferguson

Reaction score
What are you guys doing on your bikes that you can't wear your nice clothes? Worried the pant seat wears out too quickly? Or is it the sweating that's a problem?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Axel Ferguson
What are you guys doing on your bikes that you can't wear your nice clothes? Worried the pant seat wears out too quickly? Or is it the sweating that's a problem?

A combination of factors, I suppose:

- sweat;
- friction, particularly with regard to trousers; and
- creasing, again particularly with regard to trousers.

Most modern bikes don't have chain guards, for example, and I for one don't particularly want to stuff the bottom of my right trouser leg into my sock so that it doesn't get stuck in the chain and covered in grease.

Also, I have SPD pedals on my bike and thus wear cycling shoes. I don't think that they'd look too flash with a suit.

Perhaps another way of thinking about this issue would be ponder the question, "Would you go for a 30-minute jog wearing a suit?"

__PG__

Reaction score
Unlike the rest of the hispter posers on their single-speed bikes form the northern suburbs..I actually ride my bike when I commute. This involves sweating.

Which is why I wear Lycra cycling gear....which is oh so unfashionable!

PS in a recent survey Thornbury and Northcote bike riders were being fined about three times the Melbourne average for not wearing a helmet..presumably because a helmet ruins the hipster quiff.

stereoscopic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Axel Ferguson

Riding hard in Sydney traffic = wet through in winter and dripping wet in summer..
Shirts pull at the back and I've blown too many crotches to wear anything but Knicks on the bike..

I'd love to be able to cruise dandy style on an upright, but I just can't ride that way..
Plus riding hard on the commute is the only exercise I get..

Axel Ferguson

Reaction score
It's just that I'm in the Netherlands, and you're just born on a bike here, so you see everyone from businessmen to little old ladies on their bikes. Nothing dandy about an upright bike with chain guards here.

Here 5+ gear, sport bikes are more seen as odd for using to get to and from work. But I guess that's just a cultural difference.

stereoscopic

Reaction score
Its partly cultural and party the nature of the terrain and roads.

Far more people ride in the Netherlands, which in turn means the traffic and infrastructure are more accommodating. In Sydney it's pretty hilly (unless you really plan your routes) and you have to keep up with the cars as much as possible to stay safe.

Dutch city bikes are lovely, but they arnt terribly well suited to Sydney's current cycling situation.

Selvaggio

Reaction score
Agreed - but distance is also a big factor. Sydney is roughly twelve times larger than Amsterdam so the average commutes will be longer.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holland is also mostly flat. Completely different here. Even my wife, who's from the flat as a pancake San Joaquin Valley in California, complains about the hills here when we go cycling.

Axel Ferguson

Reaction score
Yes I can see how hills would make you sweat and all that.

Concerning distances, I do a 40 minute bike commute myself, and it is a good way to keep yourself active. Hurray for biking.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by neyus

In other news.... I saw RM Williams have released a captoe adelaide shoe.

Interesting:

Auburn.jpg

Good on them for expanding out into a new territory.

More on this shoe here:

http://www.rmwilliams.com.au/home.as...CD6850AE70656#

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads