• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FXH,
Wasn't there an exhibition going around Australia a year or two back featuring old mug shots and police records?

I always meant to see it but never got around to it.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
This might interest some of you. Over at Devil's Island I have a thread on which I post good pictures of examples of clothing from early (ish) days in Australia. The best pictures are actually Sydney police mugshots from the 1920s. Its easy enough to find pictures of the ascendancy and well off as this is the most recorded. I'm interested in what the well dressed street wear of the ordinary men was.
Jeebus! Some 100 year old SF approved WAYWRN stuff in AUSTRALIA. And I
laugh.gif
at the knit tie and no break 2" cuff thing. The double jacket buttons and the 'slash' breast pocket are very interesting. Wonder if someone would turn up on our WAYWRN in a jacket with those details whether he be flamed for being douchey and too fashion forward? :p

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaypee
FXH,
Wasn't there an exhibition going around Australia a year or two back featuring old mug shots and police records?

jaypee- I think so.

I'm more interested in the clothes than the fact they are mugshots. Strangely the photographer must have been really really good as they are very clear.

In addition he (presuming its a he) has allowed the crims to pose as they wish.

So what we have is a contemporary of the times WAYWT collection. I assume that people didn't have a chance to go home and get freshened up but were under arrest (usually a bit of a surprise).

Its safe to assume that these people didn't have loads of $, not many criminals do despite media myth making, and also that mostly these people are not of the middle class, so the clothing is a good record of smart street wear.

jhof5421

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
jaypee- I think so.

I'm more interested in the clothes than the fact they are mugshots. Strangely the photographer must have been really really good as they are very clear.

In addition he (presuming its a he) has allowed the crims to pose as they wish.

So what we have is a contemporary of the times WAYWT collection. I assume that people didn't have a chance to go home and get freshened up but were under arrest (usually a bit of a surprise).

Its safe to assume that these people didn't have loads of $, not many criminals do despite media myth making, and also that mostly these people are not of the middle class, so the clothing is a good record of smart street wear.

Gents,

There is actually a book from that exhibition called 'City of Shadows' by Peter Doyle. It's got quite a lot of mugshots with a lot of dapper crim's. It also has a lot of photos of undeveloped Sydney from back in the '20's. Very interesting if you can get your hands on a copy.

mercury

Reaction score
Interesting posts, fxh.

The book jhof5421 mentions from the exhibition is still available. Even book depository and fishpond have it in stock.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhof5421
Gents,

There is actually a book from that exhibition called 'City of Shadows' by Peter Doyle. It's got quite a lot of mugshots with a lot of dapper crim's. It also has a lot of photos of undeveloped Sydney from back in the '20's. Very interesting if you can get your hands on a copy.

It's a fascinating book. Well worth a look if you are of a historial bent.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jeremy!

Originally Posted by mercury
Interesting posts, fxh.

The book jhof5421 mentions from the exhibition is still available. Even book depository and fishpond have it in stock.

Sad to see Borders going broke, i like that store. They just cant compete with the above mentioned though

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About the razor gangs on Sydney, cant wait!
I have a strange interest in that era of Australian crime

Gassyndrome

Reaction score
Thanks Jeremy!

Sad to see Borders going broke, i like that store. They just cant compete with the above mentioned though

Is that actually going to mean something for their Oz stores? I bought a magazine in one of their stores today and they have such a great range...

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FXH,

There have been a couple of shows with this theme one featured mug shots from the 1920's to early 1940's. The second was a show with just images from Sydney in the same time frame they captions and explanations had been lost along with another identifying information.

The mugshots are an extensive glass plate collection I think its held at UWS the show was on at the Police and Justice Museum in Circular Quay. Saw both of them.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mercury
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=225925

You can check shipping on the site before submitting an order.
I pay around $50 for shoe trees locally, so it works out cheaper through Cedarville (including shipping).

Thanks will drop them a line

Just listening to the news about Angus & Robertson and Borders going down the drain bad for the loss of the jobs. But sadly I have not bought a book inshore for at least three years now.

And worse Abels Music has now gone so there is no where to walkin and just buy a Classical or Jazz CD in Canberra. FTFAJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members