• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabilmust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. Belt is dark brown, best I could do with my meager belt collection. No belt looks even worse IMO. Wife nearly insisted I change shirts this morning, but I was in a hurry. Shows that it pays to listen to the missus. Baby blue shirt next time.

Get rid of belt loops altogether - saves money on buying belts, and saves time in the morning trying to match belt with shoes
thumbs-up.gif

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
speaking of belts - i want a mahogany and a black leather belt on double O rings - anyone spotted good options?

Also cant remember who had the RL tie - ive got the reverse colours as below.

eightace

Reaction score
Very nice 8ace. I've eyed these off myself (actually was looking at their gunboats) but was hesitant given some mixed reviews about the shop's customer service. Also compared to Herrings etc. (not to mention a bricks and mortar shop) they are a bit of an unknown quantity and probably not quite as slick with online sales, so I shied. I'm glad you didn't though and decided to share with us; they certainly win points for uniqueness.

Apparently Robinson's make their shoes on site in Northern Ireland rather than having them made for them as Herrings do. And they're obviously trying to appeal to the US market with the shoes named after Scots-Irish descended US Presidents... anyway I hope they survive given their product is as good as you demonstrate.

As for a Topy, maybe that's an option once the lovely imprint of Carrickfergus Castle wears off the sole... I'd just feel bad about covering that with a sole protector!
Cheers PoP.

Re. the customer service, actually, I found it to be mainly pretty good. Initially, I got in touch during a sale (St. Pat's day, FYI) to get some sizing advice, and Robin, the boss, and I went back and forth with photos and measurements and by the time he recommended a size, the sale was over. However, he gave me the discount anyway and a promise that if he got the sizing wrong, he would pay for return shipping. You can't argue with that.

As I said, there were a few production problems (yes, they're made by the company itself), so there was quite a delay. In an ideal world, they could probably have been a bit more proactive in letting me know the situation as it developed, but they were very helpful and replied to my enquiries very quickly. There were, on the other hand, a couple of administrative stuff-ups at the end that could have been avoided, but on the whole, no great dramas.

In the end, the product is not quite C&J or Church's, but bloody close. And, as you say, quite unique.

Re. the 'V', I didn't really do them up properly, so it's probably not as pronounced as it looks in the photo.

Looking forward to knock-off, so I can pick them up from Brice's. I might even wear them out of there, so feel free to stop me in the street this afternoon and compliment my shoes if you wish. I'll be the one strutting down Market St.
smile.gif

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am still confused. I have a pair in U-Last and a pair in F-last. Still can't really tell the difference. The U-last pair is actually for sale (see signature)

I think that the U-last and the F-last differ most in the toe, as the F-last has a more rounded (although still quite sleek) toe, whereas the U-last has a very chiselled toe. The U-last also seems to be a bit narrower than the F-last.

The general advice - which of course differs in application from individual to individual - is that you can take the same size in the F-last, but that you should go up by a half-size or even a full-size in the U-last, despite its reasonably lengthy, chiselled toe.

On a different subject, I was browing Ethan's "Rugged Old Salt" blog last night, as I like to do from time to time, and I came across one of his lovely, philosophical posts - click here. I must admit that, whilst his photography is great (and Ethan has a very good eye for composition), I really enjoy his more thoughtful, philosophical posts about life, style, the development of individual taste and so on.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
nabilmust Do you forgo belt loops even on odd trousers?
i do .. or id just not wear a belt with belt loops if its casual odd trousers

jmills

Reaction score
I have reddy - burgundy loake strands (wearing today). These get seriously weird looks from people on the street multiple times per day. Ruby shell would be like these x 10.

I have a pair of those, and I'm a bit surprised at that! Since they're a dark burgundy, I wouldn't have thought they would stand out that much, or really attract any attention.

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to get trousers made because nothing fits me OTR, and too many alterations just ruin the look of the trousers.
That, and why get OTR when you can afford to get something made for you
fistbump.gif

Guys, what are you doing for your lady friends next week? DB, what do you have in mind?

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Guys, what are you doing for your lady friends next week? DB, what do you have in mind?

im starting to worry about you and DB .. maybe you should have dinner together on the 14th lol

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For anyone looking to do a bit of shopping in Melbourne conservative business dress both Henry Bucks and MJ Bale have sales starting tomorrow.

Sale also on in Sydwney at HB went in to try Penhalligons BB walked out with new cravat down from $115 to $55

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
I have a pair of those, and I'm a bit surprised at that! Since they're a dark burgundy, I wouldn't have thought they would stand out that much, or really attract any attention.
Mine have lightened quite a bit since I bought them, I think it's the polish I'm using. But it's also that even though they're dark, 1 in 100 or less Sydney men would be in such shoes so it does stand out.

Strangely, blokes rarely notice my shoes, but I get quite a few comments from women.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of red shoes, today I saw a gentleman wearing canary yellow chinos, traffic light red suede shoes, an olive checked sportscoat and a straw hat with red feathers in it.* Very Wanny di Filippo, right down to his natural leather folio similar to those Il Bisonte ones. Whoever he was he looked very well indeed and relegates me to the second loudest dressed man in Sydney - at least for today ;-)

* Don't try this at home kids. This is advanced level dressing recommended only for old dudes not young pups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics