• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar
Seriously I have no idea where you are finding this stuff in Melbourne! Please do let me know if you ever find anything decent in a 40R/L or shoe size 10.5/11.

I find that Rhodes & Beckett shirts barely fit my long arms at the best of times, although I am slightly tempted to check out the suit sale mentioned a few posts earlier. If I do though it would have to come out of the P Johnson fund. Hmmmm quality v quantity - decisions, decisions...

I'd say save your money for P. Johnson. It's what you really want and after a week of wearing your new B&R sack you'll still be yearning for a MTM one... and when you get it the B&R will be lucky to only see wear on a squally Melbourne winter's day...

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the quality on the Ralph Lauren suits sold in their stores here like?

I was thinking of picking one up I saw at the sale.

Half price it's $1000, and would probably need $100-200 worth of tailoring.

Looks and feels pretty good, but I don't know enough about this stuff.

I think it was the Ralph Lauren Polo line, which from reading around seems to mean its half canvassed.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with half canvassing these days. Most (if not all for all I know) Herringbone suits are half canvassed and are very good quality.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lachyzee
What is the quality on the Ralph Lauren suits sold in their stores here like?

I was thinking of picking one up I saw at the sale.

Half price it's $1000, and would probably need $100-200 worth of tailoring.

Looks and feels pretty good, but I don't know enough about this stuff.

I think it was the Ralph Lauren Polo line, which from reading around seems to mean its half canvassed.

Different strokes for different folks, of course, but I really like the RL Polo suits that are made in Italy by Corneliani. I have five or six of them and the only alteration I need is to have the sleeves and trousers shortened slightly. Because the sleeves do not have working buttonholes (unlike Herringbone, which continues to frustrate me), they only cost me about $60 to have the alterations done.

Do be aware that there are a number of different styles - some are single-vented, most are double-vented, some are two-button, most are three-button (rolling to the second button), some have a ticket pocket, some have side-adjusters on the trousers and so on.

The jackets on my suits are reasonably fitted, with not much padding in the shoulders, and the lapels have a very nice roll.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"6"

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe
I do hope that you mean you are going to purchase them also if they fit and not just ask her to specially order them in for you to try on and then buy them off pediwear?
If it really is $600, I would have no qualms purchasing from them. Afterall, good customer service does have value in my eyes. Went into American Tailors on Bourke Street today, and the guy quoted me $695 for the Selbourne handgrades which I tried on. Beautiful shoe, not too sure about the penis shape on the toe though. If someone in Sydney could confirm the price of herringbone handgrades that would be great. $600 is a really good price! ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Louisa on 169 Collins Street were selling Church's, Trickers, and some italian brands (I'm not too familiar with italian shoe brands) at 70% discount. Definitely worth a look. Picked up some calf loafers there today at $125 - franco cimadamore

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are the Ralph Lauren Black Label suits available in sydney??????

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
This is worth investigating. Does anyone know which of the Sydney stores have the C&J? I'm going to be in Sydney after today and would love to have a look and try a pair on for size.

I bought a pair of Church Brisbane, cost all up about $370 about a week ago from Herrings, sadly they don't have C&J and UPS still hasn't delivered them. I think they may have been taken hostage by Gerry Harvey either that or the delivery driver is a total idiot.

Originally Posted by AriGold
Are the Ralph Lauren Black Label suits available in sydney??????

Originally Posted by jaypee
Call them?
- exackery!
- I don't understand why some here don't just call the source, it's not as if we know the invetory
nest.gif

elvish

Reaction score
As a junior member/person in this forum I am interested to hear what everyone thinks of Mont Blanc leather?

I bought a coin wallet because I had to use $100 credit from a trade-in & the store would swallow the remainder if it wasn't used.

Something about the leather feels a bit off; it is very hard and I'm hoping it doesn't tear from being used.

To save any "you didn't pay so it doesn't matter if it breaks" comments, I had to pay on top of the credit.

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by elvish
As a junior member/person in this forum I am interested to hear what everyone thinks of Mont Blanc leather?

I bought a coin wallet because I had to use $100 credit from a trade-in & the store would swallow the remainder if it wasn't used.

Something about the leather feels a bit off; it is very hard and I'm hoping it doesn't tear from being used.

To save any "you didn't pay so it doesn't matter if it breaks" comments, I had to pay on top of the credit.

I don't know what this has to do with the Australian Members, Montblanc is a very well established, international brand.

'Hard' leather usually softens after it is 'broken in'.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by elvish

I don't know anything about it. But all leather can be softened up as much as you like. In fact I've seen Brookes bike seats with too much conditioner feel like liquid. (slight exaggeration for illustrative purposes only)

Really though - if you searched SF you'd know you really should have saved that $100 and gone and got a green leather Hermes breast wallet.

Coins are a bugger. Too heavy.

You can't beat a coin pocket in pants - sadly rare these days.

I keep coins in the car, for parking, and in a jar at home.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Really though - if you searched SF you'd know you really should have saved that $100 and gone and got a green leather Hermes breast wallet.

Gold! Never gets old!
lol8[1].gif

Originally Posted by fxh
Coins are a bugger. Too heavy.

You can't beat a coin pocket in pants - sadly rare these days.

I keep coins in the car, for parking, and in a jar at home.

+1 - I might carry a few 'goldies' in my coin pocket (assuming I have one) or that little pocket within a pocket that some of my suit pants have - otherwise I have no time for coins at all. Most coins end up the old CBA money tin that sits on our kitchen bench, where it typically funds my fast-food urges. I can often be seen on a Sunday night walking my cupped hands full of coins over to the local pizza shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads