• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tano
Yes, i may end up purchasing one from the B&S forum. Some people here suggested Favazzo G & A and Final Touch for alterations. I used Final Touch twice and the work was very sloppy. I think people suggested Final Touch based on their fake* google reviews.

*Im guessing their fake reviews based on their grouped around the same date and keep dropping names in the reviews.

Don't forget eBay. Theres a fair few people selling BNWT Ralph Lauren, Brioni, Tom Ford and such on there from time to time. Once I let an NWT Gucci (Tom Ford era) Dinner Jacket and trousers slip by for $375US. (Top Tip: use www.ebay.com NOT www.ebay.com.au; you will get more results and more often than not, even if the seller says US shipping only, they'll ship to Australia if you ask nicely) What's your budget if you don't mind my asking?

I've never used them for alterations, I used to have all my clothes made for me when I could travel to SG and HK more often, but now I pretty much fit RTW again and buy over the phone from stores in the UK, and online. For alterations I used my SG tailor when I needed it; but recently I bought a Tom Ford suit, and used a place in Plaza Arcade (opposite Easyway Bubble Tea) called 7 Star Clothing Alterations; the work was very good, and it was ready in 30 minutes, all I needed was the jacket taken in slightly and the rippling at the neck sorted out.

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
For _PG_ and all you bare-ankled dudes - I was in Mountfords the other day - they have Sperry Topsiders - around $250 I think - they don't look all that bad a range - (if you like that sort of thing)

http://www.mountfords.com.au/SearchF...=c&k=0031&h=26

I think its a bigger range in store

The three classic Sperry Topsiders, light, medium and dark brown can be had for around $80-100 here at an outlet store in city west (Perth).

Selvaggio

Reaction score
Another community service announcement...

The David Jones Wharehouse at Birkenhead Point has ten or so differnt varieties of Pantherella socks for $12-15 pair - some a bit casual, but some perfectly okay for business wear. A couple are sea-island cotton (with a hologram for authenticity - who knew?).

I have no solid sense of whether this represents good value or not, but I thought I mention it for Sydney folk whom may be interested.

I've not been much of a posh sock wearer, but I bought a few pairs and they are actually very nice.

Tano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrbig
Don't forget eBay. Theres a fair few people selling BNWT Ralph Lauren, Brioni, Tom Ford and such on there from time to time. Once I let an NWT Gucci (Tom Ford era) Dinner Jacket and trousers slip by for $375US. (Top Tip: use www.ebay.com NOT www.ebay.com.au; you will get more results and more often than not, even if the seller says US shipping only, they'll ship to Australia if you ask nicely) What's your budget if you don't mind my asking?

I've never used them for alterations, I used to have all my clothes made for me when I could travel to SG and HK more often, but now I pretty much fit RTW again and buy over the phone from stores in the UK, and online. For alterations I used my SG tailor when I needed it; but recently I bought a Tom Ford suit, and used a place in Plaza Arcade (opposite Easyway Bubble Tea) called 7 Star Clothing Alterations; the work was very good, and it was ready in 30 minutes, all I needed was the jacket taken in slightly and the rippling at the neck sorted out.

Budget for tux ~400 with $200 alterations. Heading to KL next year to hopefully get a nice pair of C&J wedding shoes.

RedDC5R

Reaction score
Hi,

Any idea where you will buy C&J in KL? I'm there after Xmas and looking for tips on where to shop for some decent shoes.

Also off to Singapore so guys feel free to chip in with some tips. I'm after a pair of work shoes either brogue or semi and budget $500. Saw a pair of Paul Smith Mainline for 335 quid is that good value for Paul Smith? Thanks in advance.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedDC5R
Hi,

Any idea where you will buy C&J in KL? I'm there after Xmas and looking for tips on where to shop for some decent shoes.

Also off to Singapore so guys feel free to chip in with some tips. I'm after a pair of work shoes either brogue or semi and budget $500. Saw a pair of Paul Smith Mainline for 335 quid is that good value for Paul Smith? Thanks in advance.

P.Lal seems to be the place to get good shoes in KL:
http://plal.com/main/index.php?page=crockett-and-jones

There are also some reasonable deals on shoes to be found in dept stores in central KL.

Here are two threads created by an Australian SF member who visited KL a couple of years back - he visited P.Lal and also had a look around other places:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=57159

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=57552

alexspecs

Reaction score
So I walked into general pants today to get a pair of jeans and I saw these being sold for $229.95. What. kind. of. fuckery. is this???

-MG-9426-060ae818-98ed-4f15-a001-ad515438ae47.JPG

mrbig

Reaction score
P.Lal for C&J is a great idea.

You might find it useful to try a local tailor (ask around on the forums for recommendations, I know one in SG but not in KL) for your dinner suit.

You're considerably better off spending the $600 on an MTM program, even something like SuitSupply. $400 for a suit probably won't get you very far unless you're lucky enough to grab something on B&S or eBay (the latter being more likely). If you're spending $200 on alterations for any suit; you bought the wrong size, or the cut just doesn't work for you.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Ernesto
Holy hell.

I hate that place.

I once strolled in during lunch. I strolled back out within 10 seconds.

That being said I would buy those shoes if they're $10. They look comfortable.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chronicles of Never by Gareth Moody, one of the original Tsubi/Ksubi guys
Not a bad pair of light shoes for the hipsters, but for 220 is a joke

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
have any of you guys imported any aldens? i want a pair of chunky norwegian split toes but cant find anyone who will ship them to australia. plus for some reason shipping from the US to Aus is way more expensive than the UK to Aus.

are there any other makers who do a good quality chunky split toe norge?

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
have any of you guys imported any aldens? i want a pair of chunky norwegian split toes but cant find anyone who will ship them to australia. plus for some reason shipping from the US to Aus is way more expensive than the UK to Aus.

are there any other makers who do a good quality chunky split toe norge?

a friend of mine has gone through hell and back to get the right size with Aldens and he has gotten them off Amazon.

elvish

Reaction score
They are actually black noise white rain, mainstream spin off of CON.

You won't find CON in general. The quality of those shoes is terrible if they get wet they are a goner.

Does anyone know of any bris sales coming up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads