• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm...it's all a bit awkward from where I live (bottom end of Hyde Park). 25 minute walk to Potts Point is probably about the least worst option. There's a bus from near my place to Norton Street but it also takes about 25 minutes, and walking is healthier.

Anybody know of a good Italian deli in Surry Hills?

There used to be a great continental deli near the Capitol Theatre but it closed recently. They must have seen me coming.

OzWino

Reaction score
@Coxsackie my info is probably out of date, but didnt there used to be a good cheese/salumi place downstairs at No1 Martin Place? I cant remember if it was retail or cafe.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Good tip. I'll check that one out, it's near where I work.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@Coxsackie my info is probably out of date, but didnt there used to be a good cheese/salumi place downstairs at No1 Martin Place? I cant remember if it was retail or cafe.
That was the cheese & wine room in GPO? Not sure if it was ever a deli, just a spot to eat cheese and drink wine.

Bit out of the way but the best Italian deli in Sydney is Pino's Dolce Vita in Kogarah.

eightace

Reaction score
Hmm...it's all a bit awkward from where I live (bottom end of Hyde Park). 25 minute walk to Potts Point is probably about the least worst option. There's a bus from near my place to Norton Street but it also takes about 25 minutes, and walking is healthier.

There used to be a great continental deli near the Capitol Theatre but it closed recently. They must have seen me coming.
The 311 bus will take you from the bus stop outside Museum Station to Macleay St Potts Point in 10 minutes.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bus sounds convenient.

Many options to explore. Thanks again gents.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I used to work right next door (at Haymarket Library) to that deli back in the 90s. I remember raiding their German Christmas goodies for my family there every year I was working close by.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One on the corner of Crown and Foveaux St is good.

Cyril's was the name of it, best and cheapest place in Sudney for past used by date products back in the 80/90's

akclothpooper

Reaction score
Any of the Aus thread own pants which err on flares? Tempted to try some trousers with quite large leg opening and relatively straight fit along the thigh and top block; I like the way old YSL trousers look. Thinking probably hacking away at something thrufted is the best bet, also trying to decide between cuffs or not?

Last edited:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was a teenager I wanted a pair of flares so, so badly.

My mother finally relented and let me buy a pair. From memory, they were purple. I guess I was 12 or 13.

Then I started to get enough pocket money to buy my own stuff. Went straight out and bought the most flared pair of jeans I could find. They were, of course, unspeakably hideous. I paired them with Miller shirts with press-stud-closure flap breast pockets and that golden thread through the fabric. Worn tight, even though I was painfully skinny.

Burgundy leather square-toed shoes with stacked heels completed the look. Being a good middle-class boy, I never succumbed to a sharpie hairdo.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any of the Aus thread own pants which err on flares? Tempted to try some trousers with quite large leg opening and relatively straight fit along the thigh and top block; I like the way old YSL trousers look. Thinking probably hacking away at something thrufted is the best bet, also trying to decide between cuffs or not?

I think I have a pair of 7 for all mankind flared jeans somewhere. What size are you?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads