• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Audi S5 vs BMW 335 xi

Audi S5 vs BMW 335 xi

• Audi S5

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • BMW 335 xi

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok, this is what happened

the old jeep tried to die on me. so that had to buy a new car in a rather hurry (few days to close the deal...) got an Premium Plus Sport Package with Navigation Audi A5...:slayer::slayer::slayer:

couldn't be happier... I love the car... don't get me wrong the sound of the S5 was sex on wheels but the A5 is just great... :)

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The A5 is pleasant looking.... but I find it hard to call it 'gorgeous' or 'beautiful' yada yada... it's a German box car like any other. :eek: It's nicer looking than the BMW, but that isn't hard.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Damn I want a new[er] car. Can't justify/afford it though (at least without severly cutting back on my social life expenditures) :violin:

Last edited:

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NOT comparing to the M3 makes no sense, so I will go ahead and do it anyway.

The A5 and S5 are beautiful cars and on their own quite good. However, they are not competitive with BMW in their respective price segments in USA. S5 was more expensive than my M3 when I did comparison shopping earlier this year.

A5 competes with 335. 335 demolishes A5. A5 woefully underpowered.
S5 competes with M3. M3 demolishes S5.
S5 would be a great competitor for the 335, if it did not cost as much as the M3. Oops.

RS5 is going to be 105K in the USA and is on par with the outgoing E9X M3. E9X M3 is a 50-60K car. Not sure why Audi is pricing the RS5 in Aston & 911 territory.

After test-driving the S5 several times and considering it, I came to the conclusion that I would either have to be insane, care nothing about value, or value aesthetics above any other criteria to pick the S5 over the M3. S5 was more expensive than my E92 M3 and BMW kindly covers maintenance for four years.

In any case, you will know which car you prefer, even if you compare 335 to S5 in about five minutes during test drives. S5 steering is shockingly un-sportscar like.

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeah M3 would be a no-brainer recommendation IMO if the OP hadn't insisted on having AWD.

OP, why do you say you 'want AWD even though you don't need it'?

Last edited:

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yeah M3 would be a no-brainer recommendation IMO if the OP hadn't insisted on having AWD.
OP, why do you say you 'want AWD even though you don't need it'?

Just read the above where OP says he (she?) got an A5 and is happy with it. Nevermind. If someone chooses a 3600lb 211hp car over a 335 don't think they cared too much about performance.

Last edited:

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just to clarify the OP is HE
secondly I do care about performance but also realize that need to budget things so I'll wait for what I really want an S5 with 3.0 turbo, not the current V8 which feels really heavy.
thirdly I like AWD b/c of the way I drive. I realize after having driven rear and AWD cars that I much prefer AWD. It's more forgiving if you know what I mean.
finally, I don't think you should compare the M3 to S5. The direct M3 comparison would be the RS5, and I don't think the M3 would come up so well in that comparison

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh and by the way I think I actually put a lot of value on aesthetics, what can I say ??? :satisfied:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

secondly I do care about performance but also realize that need to budget things so I'll wait for what I really want an S5 with 3.0 turbo, not the current V8 which feels really heavy.
thirdly I like AWD b/c of the way I drive. I realize after having driven rear and AWD cars that I much prefer AWD. It's more forgiving if you know what I mean.
finally, I don't think you should compare the M3 to S5. The direct M3 comparison would be the RS5, and I don't think the M3 would come up so well in that comparison

The RS5 is also vastly more expensive than the M3.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wasn't trying to insult you by claiming you don't care about performance.If it what makes you happy, that's cool, but a 335 is around the same price point and is a significantly faster and better performing car. The A5 performs on par with a BMW 328. Granted, it is better looking, and there's nothing wrong with prioritizing that.

Not really sure what you mean about RWD vs AWD. I have way more traction than I can possibly use without being completely reckless on the street in my RWD M3. Maybe you are driving in winter conditions a lot.

The M3 is a 50-60K car as I have said. The RS5 will be sold for 105K in the USA in 2012. That is around DOUBLE the price. The M3 and the S5 sell for the same price in the USA. Therefore the direct comparison to the S5 is the M3.

As for the M3 vs the RS5 (a 50K vs. a 100K car): the M3 has already been compared by Car and Driver to the RS5 (and the CTS-V). The M3 won that particular comparison.

Read here:

http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...0-bmw-m3-2011-cadillac-cts-v-comparison-tests

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the two cars you listed I voted for the S5.

But having driven both, I'd take a bimmer anyday. And picking up a lease return makes them very affordable and you still have warranty for a year or two.

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the M3 a more balanced car ? may be...

Is the M3 faster ? may be...

I'd still take the A5/S5 b/c stylewise is way way prettier... that's all... is this subjective ? sure... that's all

Last edited:

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ let me guess, you drive an M3 right?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads