• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

erakettu

Reaction score
Without a definite location of the sound, it's hard to say. If you think it's the leather, you could try a full moisturization/polishing (which you should've done already anyway.)
Otherwise perhaps visit a cobbler and see if they can locate the squeak and repair it.

It's suede, so only added a spray. Insides didn't feel dry at all, so did npt put anything there. Will try though.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's suede, so only added a spray. Insides didn't feel dry at all, so did npt put anything there. Will try though.
Squeaks can be caused by the heel being slightly loose. You can try setting the nails a little more securely yourself or you can have a cobbler look at them. Alternatively some people recommend trying some talcum powder in the shoe but I've never tried this myself.

erakettu

Reaction score
Sqeaks come right before foot leaves the ground. Leaves me thinking its from the rubber sole, or the air puffing out from the tight toe-cap area.

Is there anything to do to prevent/ test these?

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a specific type of scissors that's meant for snipping small threads off delicate fabrics (like ties or shirts) that makes it easier not to cut the fabric itself?

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BlairW

Reaction score
I got a new 3 roll 2 jacket which the dry cleaner has pressed into a 3 button. There are NO tailors in the town I live in - can anyone point me toward a video or step-by-step for me to fix the lapel roll at home?

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a new 3 roll 2 jacket which the dry cleaner has pressed into a 3 button. There are NO tailors in the town I live in - can anyone point me toward a video or step-by-step for me to fix the lapel roll at home?

Yikes, sorry to hear that. Take a look at the "Touching up a suit" link in this post. A ton of great resources here.
https://www.styleforum.net/threads/the-second-tailors-thread-technical-tutorials.278468/

You should rarely dry clean a good suit, even with a dry cleaner who knows what they are doing.

Poomba

Reaction score
These are too long aren't they? They fit super comfortably in width and my feet can't really slide forward, but I can't help but feel that they will wear in funny with that much room in the toe box. They are a pair of George loafers by George Cleverly.

IMG_7432.JPG

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The safest option is to contact Rave Fabricare to have them repress the lapel into its intended shape.

If you are intent on doing this at home, use a press cloth and a damp sponge to press out the original crease. Start on the reverse side. Avoid using too much steam, which can cause the seam to pucker. Just a damp sponge to moisten the cloth and then use a hot dry iron with the press cloth. Don't move the iron around; just press downwards. With the hard crease pressed out, the lapel should be able to find its intended natural roll.

zanci

Reaction score
My new boggi full canvas suit has some wrinkles in the back

Its 10% silk and very light , so probably the material, I hanged it but still they are there...

what to do?

Quesjac

Reaction score
Can't you explain what's wrong and get them to press it again correctly? I try to get my drycleaner to attach a note explaining how to press on 3r2 jackets just to avoid any confusion.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liamsebastia