• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Terpo

Reaction score
I'm in quite a dilemma here, am looking for a casual smart outfit, will be having a dinner and heading to a little party later on

I'm deciding on
: oxford button down shirt (light colored) light blue
: bow-tie (terrible idea)
: slim dark indigo raw jeans or chinos if you want more smart than casual
: brown leather brogues
fing02[1].gif

Question is i'm not sure if jeans is the right choice here?? Seen some sites giving me the thumbs up but others saying it gives the old man 40's look,
I do have chinos that i can pair with but am wondering if jeans would cut it??

Would appreciate any opinions out there, thanks!
See my comments above.

Chacse

Reaction score
Thanks alot! I'll probably go for chinos and a jacket, do you guys think light brown chinos (going slighty mustard) would go well with brown leather brogues?? Or would dark blue chinos be better?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I am a new convert to braces, and need opinions:

1. Is there anything wrong with wearing black formal braces with a charcoal suit (black shoes)?

2. In the situation that I was photographed without my jacket on, would the following textured braces and tie work OK, or would they clash?
No, yes, no. But nobody should see your braces. Of course, perhaps you tend to take your jacket off in the office. but for me, braces only go with a three piece lounge suit and would therefore still be out of sight.

Can I cut between the stitch to make it useable?

Yes, carefully. Although if the tailor does it, it will be his fault, which is kind of better. :)

I'm in quite a dilemma here, am looking for a casual smart outfit, will be having a dinner and heading to a little party later on

I'm deciding on
: oxford button down shirt (light colored)
: bow-tie
: slim dark indigo raw jeans

Question is i'm not sure if jeans is the right choice here?? Seen some sites giving me the thumbs up but others saying it gives the old man 40's look,

Jeans are not smart. Not even casual smart. Leave them at home. Wear proper trousers. Everything else is fine, but if you want to wear a tie then you need a jacket. Which as you intend to be both casual and smart, is the definition you're looking for. Don't wear a tie without one - bow tie or not - as you will look like a waiter. Some people will think that wearing a bow tie is inherently anachronistic and odd. Which is precisely why I have come to love them. But they must be chosen and tied even more carefully than a long tie to avoid looking like a clownish novelty. If you have the balls, then choose well, put on carefully, and wear with alacrity. :)

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jeans are not smart.  Not even casual smart.  Leave them at home.  Wear proper trousers

While I wholeheartedly agree with the above, I suspect some folks here will take exception to this view of jeans.

Fine. You're entitled to your opinion. Even when I know it's a wrong opinion. :)

But for Dog's sake, please don't clutter up this Classic Menswear thread, with talk of denim. No, not even selvedge demin or raw denim or close-fitting dungarees selling for $1800 in boutiques in Tokyo with rivets applied by an order of monks who live and work in seclusion on a mountaintop in Tibet.

Streetwear and Demin exists for discussion of denim. Classic Menswear is not the appropriate place to ask about jeans. Not even when you're wondering if it's okay to pair them with a dress shirt with French cuffs and a tuxedo jacket (like some pop icon presumably did on an awards show, where you thought he looked good).

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What could cause this worn out at the trousers' crotch? Is it fixable without leaving unwanted scar?

It happens. I have worn through trousers like this before. If your thighs are larger, pants, tight, gait is off this will happen. A lot of reasons for it. The only thing you can really do is ignore it. In the past I have worn through mine over many years. A tailor patched them from the inside with some cuff fabric and it was barely noticeable at all.

xxxamazexxx

Reaction score

I'm deciding on
: oxford button down shirt (light colored)
: bow-tie
: slim dark indigo raw jeans

I think the bowtie can work if you throw on a sport coat. And I actually think that the jeans are the best choice if they're dark enough and clean enough. I don't understand why some people say you can't wear dark indigo jeans when you have already picked brown leather brogues to go with it. It's a casual dinner and a party, not a classic menswear convention.

WickedKlown

Reaction score
I've been wanting a french cuff shirt for awhile now, so two weeks ago I ordered one. Just got it in the mail today but not sure if the cuff fits right on my wrist. I went with an off the rack to see if I like the look and feel of a french cuff, before having one made. So for now can someone tell me if it looks too big. With it on and closed I can slide two fingers between my wrist and the cuff link. If they are too big can they be made smaller.

Last edited:

J011yroger

Reaction score
Are club collar shirts ipso facto casual? I love the way they look and own several, but have always treated them like an OCBD, or even more casual. I never wear them with a tie, either just alone, under a sweater/sweatervest, or at most with a navy blazer, usually with jeans or non-wool pants.

I can't imagine wearing one with a suit, but I couldn't imagine doing a lot of the things I do now a few years ago.

J

Troilus

Reaction score
Am I going to feel a noticeable difference in the difference of two these sportscoats?

(1) P2P 20.25, Sh 17, Sl unfinished, L 30.
(2) P2P 20.75, Sh 17.75, Sl unfinished, L 30.5.

I own the first jacket and am interested in buying the second jacket from one of our B&S sellers.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are club collar shirts ipso facto casual? I love the way they look and own several, but have always treated them like an OCBD, or even more casual.

Well, of course, many men regard an OCBD as being perfectly acceptable to wear with a suit and tie, so if a club collar shirt is about the same as an OCBD on the formality scale...

But the real answer is, if you feel that club collar shirts are inherently casual, then you should not wear them non-casually. True, there's no fundamental rule against wearing a club collar shirt with a jacket and tie, but if it's just not within your particular comfort zone, then don't do it. For example, there's no fundamental rule against wearing a pale pink shirt with a suit and tie, but some men simply aren't comfortable with it, so for them it's a personal rule and that's fine.

I tend not to wear club collar shirts, simply because they don't generally flatter my face. However, I've made exceptions from time to time. Only with sport coats and ties, though. Not with a business suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads