• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

StormRider

Reaction score
I found the DKNY slim suit pants in 30x30 fits me perfectly, but I have a really hard time finding it not as part of the suit, anyone know where I can buy the these not as part of a suit?

Thanks.

repsakC

Reaction score
What does it mean when a suit has a "high twist"? I'm running into it while looking at some online stuff whose quality/trustworthiness I can't count on, so it'd be nice to know if that's actually a "thing". Is it the same as saying a high gorge?

Thanks!

E TF

Reaction score

What does it mean when a suit has a "high twist"? I'm running into it while looking at some online stuff whose quality/trustworthiness I can't count on, so it'd be nice to know if that's actually a "thing". Is it the same as saying a high gorge?

Thanks!

It refers to the type of yarn used to weave the cloth; nothing to do with the cut of the finished garment . High twist yarn is harder and stronger than "low twist": fresco is a high twist cloth, flannel a low twist. As i understand it, it has to do with the angle and tightness with which the separate strands of wool are woven together to make the yarn.

I suggest you lurk on the forum for a while longer before you buy anything...

dufferin1

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Received my Sutor's the other day and wore them for the first time. They are very slippery and nearly fell in the super market (I wasn't drunk) haha. Is there anything I can do to perhaps lessen the slipping of the sole? I am fairly new to high end shoes.

Regards,
Mario

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hi everyone,
Received my Sutor's the other day and wore them for the first time. They are very slippery and nearly fell in the super market (I wasn't drunk) haha. Is there anything I can do to perhaps lessen the slipping of the sole? I am fairly new to high end shoes.

Regards,
Mario

Scuff up the sole on the pavement.

logan858

Reaction score
i made a thread then saw this one afterwards, asnyways, here's my 2 questions:

"ANYWAYS, i'm still learning tons, and i run into new questions all the time. yesterday i ran into two things i was wondering about.

1. what is a taped armhole? I saw it written on a shirt tag, a fairly cheap leo chevalier shirt, with a number of other things and had never heard that term used before.

and 2. what are sport loops on a pant? and what distinguishes sport loops from other loops? it was advertised in our coppley spring 2012 catalogue on a pant. I *assumed* it must be some sort of configuration of the belt loops, but really, it's the first time i've heard people talk about the loops of a pant.

thx SF, hope u guys can help me out :)"

Zaeon

Reaction score
Too tight IMHO. It must be very uncomfortable. I would definitely go with one size bigger. That way you will be able to wear sweater/etc. under it.
ty for the reply. I'll just return the jacket. My sizing is weird-- the small is a little bit big/drapey and the xsmall is a little tight.

LokStock

Reaction score
Thinking of using a navy 120s basketweave wool for an everyday business suit (for law firm), what are your thoughts?

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Does anyone know where I can find this purple zip-up jacket?

Cheers :)

I think the question-thread in SW&D would be more appropiate for this question
smile.gif

pyroxyze

Reaction score
What would you pay for this fabric per yard: Zegna 150 Ultrafine cashemere/wool blend(11.5–15 µm)? Colors can be chosen after order(black, navy, grey, etc.)
A friend and tailor just became an official distributor here in a thirdworld country I'm in for business. He made me a Zegna suit and wants to me to bring some yards to the states to sell. He wants to sell for over $250 per yard.....reasonable?

(Asking this for a friend)

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It refers to the type of yarn used to weave the cloth; nothing to do with the cut of the finished garment . High twist yarn is harder and stronger than "low twist": fresco is a high twist cloth, flannel a low twist. As i understand it, it has to do with the angle and tightness with which the separate strands of wool are woven together to make the yarn.
I suggest you lurk on the forum for a while longer before you buy anything...

Affects the texture and how warm the suit will wear too. A low twist yarn, like you would find in a flannel or a tweed, will be fuzzier, trap heat better, and be warmer. Higher twist yarns will allow you to weave something like fresco, which has fairly wide spacing between threads, allowing it to breathe. Try that with a low twist yarn, and you wind up with the durability of tissue paper, though it would probably be very soft and comfy to wear.

Thinking of using a navy 120s basketweave wool for an everyday business suit (for law firm), what are your thoughts?

Perfectly fine. It'll still be a solid navy suit, the fabric will just have a little depth to it from the basketweave.

Barney Stinson

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm invited to a wedding next wednesday. Have this Navy plain Suit with this Shirt.

So I need a tie and a pocket square for it - What do you recommend? The rest of the guests are not strict formal worn.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads