• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

TauKappaEpsilon

Reaction score
I know a lot of people think this is to short, however, I chose a cropped coat for a reason.

Disregarding the length of it, what does SF think about this Burberry mid length coat?

What do you all think about wearing this as outerwear on a chilly, but dry, night? Should this be reserved strictly for rain?

Bob5432

Reaction score
Hello. could you guys give me your opinion on my question? Thanks alot!
I'm a little worried because next week I am going to an office in Rockefeller Plaza, but I have no idea how people dress there.

Do you think its ok if I go with

1) gray wool pants
2) white dress shirt (no tie)
3) black sport coat
4) ferragamo loafers

This was my original question. Thanks

Quote:

Last edited:

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking at a Gant Rugger sport coat for $700, is this justifiable for their quality?  I searched the forum, and couldn't find any guidance on Gant Rugger wrt jackets.  

*this is my first post, I am a 2 year lurker

While I do not think it is a rip off, I do not think it is a good deal either. You could get a Zegna one off Ebay new for ~$500.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm a little worried because next week I am going to an office in Rockefeller Plaza, but I have no idea how people dress there.

It really depends greatly on what sort of office, and why you're going there. If you're stopping by the office to pick up your date at the end of the day, so the two of you can go out for dinner, you can get by dressing one way. If you're going there to give a presentation to some high level corporate/legal/financial types, in hopes of convincing them to retain the services of your accounting firm, you might just want to dress another way. And then there are the IT guys; I've long since stopped trying to figure out how they choose their clothes, but I'm pretty sure throwing darts at something and the use of a random number generator enter into the picture.

1) gray wool pants 
2) white dress shirt (no tie)
3) black sport coat
4) ferragamo loafers
That's an essentially casual look. Which may be fine, or may not be fine - you haven't told us enough to permit meaningful judgment.

It's casual because (1) there's no tie; (2) sport coats are more casual than suits; and (3) loafers tend to be more casual than lace-up dress shoes.

I'll add that I don't care for black sport coats at all. But as the whole "Are black suits okay?" issue has been addressed on SF dozens of times, and most of what's been said pretty much applies to sport coats too, I won't bother going over this well tilled ground yet again.
--
Michael

Last edited:

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And then there are the IT guys; I've long since stopped trying to figure out how they choose their clothes, but I'm pretty sure throwing darts at something and the use of a random number generator enter into the picture.

I doubt they even go to that length.

Bob5432

Reaction score
It really depends greatly on what sort of office, and why you're going there. If you're stopping by the office to pick up your date at the end of the day, so the two of you can go out for dinner, you can get by dressing one way. If you're going there to give a presentation to some high level corporate/legal/financial types, in hopes of convincing them to retain the services of your accounting firm, you might just want to dress another way. And then there are the IT guys; I've long since stopped trying to figure out how they choose their clothes, but I'm pretty sure throwing darts at something and the use of a random number generator enter into the picture.
That's an essentially casual look. Which may be fine, or may not be fine - you haven't told us enough to permit meaningful judgment.
It's casual because (1) there's no tie; (2) sport coats are more casual than suits; and (3) loafers tend to be more casual than lace-up dress shoes.
I'll add that I don't care for black sport coats at all. But as the whole "Are black suits okay?" issue has been addressed on SF dozens of times, and most of what's been said pretty much applies to sport coats too, I won't bother going over this well tilled ground yet again.
--
Michael

Thanks a million Michael.

I forgot to tell you why I was going in the first place!
I'm going to give a presentation to the owner of the office (he's someone i've known for over 10 years, but never actually spoken face to face).
He's going to invest money in my new idea (IT based), and become a partner.
He's already given me the yes (over the phone).
His office is not IT based, and he doesn't know anything about it. I'm assuming his office's dress code involves suits and ties because his business is sales, but I'm not 100% sure.

I made a mistake. My shoes are not loafers. They are black Ferragamo Fenice Moccasin. Similar to these, but mine are not shiny. They are more matte.
http://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/Salvatore-Ferragamo-Fenice-Moccasin-Shoes/prod107910010/

Final question.

Would going with the wool pants, white dress shirt, moccasins, and tie be more business appropriate?
If I absolutely need to wear a suit, I can go buy one.

Thanks again!

Dark Knot

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
is gray vest with a black suit okay?
And is matching tie color with your date's dress color tacky? Was planning to match shirt color or not match at all...
Thanks for the reply - this is kind of important to me !
Hey Master Milano,

I personally would not do a grey vest with a black suit. It might look over the top. As for matching your tie color with your date's dress, I would not do that. While its always advisable to match your tie color to your suit and shirt combination, I think its best that you both maintain your individuality. Her dress should be an expression of her fashion sense and attitude to clothing, as should yours. Make your attire and her's match, and it almost looks too contrived. Hope this helps! Remember, fashion is about fun, so dont put pressure on yourself to match her. Just wear what you think looks good for you and what is visually appealing.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm going to give a presentation to the owner of the office (he's someone i've known for over 10 years, but never actually spoken face to face).
He's going to invest money in my new idea (IT based), and become a partner. 
He's already given me the yes (over the phone).
His office is not IT based, and he doesn't know anything about it. I'm assuming his office's dress code involves suits and ties because his business is sales, but I'm not 100% sure.

You're going to a business office, in Manhattan, to meet with a man whom you've never met in person before, because you want him to give you money for a business venture. And it's extremely possible that suit and tie is the norm at this office.

Bob, you're describing a definite suit and tie situation. I mean, come on - how can you even wonder about this?

I made a mistake. My shoes are not loafers. They are black Ferragamo Fenice Moccasin.
They're basically black, horse bit loafers. Which is great; I own a similar pair of shoes - black Allen Edmonds Verona horse bit moccasin-type loafers. I like them.

But if you're going into a situation where a suit and tie are appropriate (and you are), they're not really the ideal choice of footwear.

Would going with the wool pants, white dress shirt, moccasins, and tie be more business appropriate?
If I absolutely need to wear a suit, I can go buy one. 
Get a suit. Get a pair of shoes appropriate for wearing with a suit.

You ought to own at least one suit, anyway. They sometimes come in handy for weddings, funerals, court appearances... and meetings with potential investors, whom you want to convince to put their money in your hands.

You're going into a quintessential "suit" situation. Yes, you should wear a suit. Go buy a reasonable, relatively inexpensive navy or grey wool suit, that fits you pretty well in the chest and shoulders. Then get some alterations - at the very least, you'll likely want the pants hemmed/cuffed, and probably the jacket sleeves shortened, and maybe a minor adjustment to the waist. Just do it. If you buy it right away, and convince a tailor to do the alterations without delay, you could probably have it in time to wear it to your meeting next week. Then keep it in your closet against future need.

Or don't. Ultimately, you can wear whatever you like; nobody's going to throw you out of the building because you're not wearing a suit and tie. Heck, you might be able to show up in jeans and a t-shirt and still get the investment capital you seek. But you've asked what you should do, and now I've told you.
--
Michael

Bob5432

Reaction score
You're going to a business office, in Manhattan, to meet with a man whom you've never met in person before, because you want him to give you money for a business venture. And it's extremely possible that suit and tie is the norm at this office.
Bob, you're describing a definite suit and tie situation. I mean, come on - how can you even wonder about this?
They're basically black, horse bit loafers. Which is great; I own a similar pair of shoes - black Allen Edmonds Verona horse bit moccasin-type loafers. I like them.
But if you're going into a situation where a suit and tie are appropriate (and you are), they're not really the ideal choice of footwear.
Get a suit. Get a pair of shoes appropriate for wearing with a suit.
You ought to own at least one suit, anyway. They sometimes come in handy for weddings, funerals, court appearances... and meetings with potential investors, whom you want to convince to put their money in your hands.
You're going into a quintessential "suit" situation. Yes, you should wear a suit. Go buy a reasonable, relatively inexpensive navy or grey wool suit, that fits you pretty well in the chest and shoulders. Then get some alterations - at the very least, you'll likely want the pants hemmed/cuffed, and probably the jacket sleeves shortened, and maybe a minor adjustment to the waist. Just do it. If you buy it right away, and convince a tailor to do the alterations without delay, you could probably have it in time to wear it to your meeting next week. Then keep it in your closet against future need.
Or don't. Ultimately, you can wear whatever you like; nobody's going to throw you out of the building because you're not wearing a suit and tie. Heck, you might be able to show up in jeans and a t-shirt and still get the investment capital you seek. But you've asked what you should do, and now I've told you.
--
Michael

I really appreciate your honest answer. You've made it really clear and tomorrow I'm going to buy the suit (hopefully they can alter it in time)
I've read on this forum that J Crew makes some decent suits for less than $1000. I like the grey wool idea.

I might even have to show up for a court appearance this year, so I'll be ready for that.

Question for you. How often and with what clothes do you wear your Allen Edmonds Verona horsebit moccasins?

Thanks again Michael

Dynasty

Reaction score
I'm about to graduate college and begin working in a business casual environment. I want to purchase a navy blazer, but am not sure where to purchase it from. Some stores close by are Macy's, Sears, Men's Wearhouse, Joseph A. Bank, and the typical mall stores (J. Crew, Banana Republic, etc.). I want to spend under $200 on the blazer. Where is the best place to start out at?

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hit as many places as you can. Take notes as you go, brand, price, material, fit, etc. Put on something you would wear with the blazer. If possible, have a friend take a photo. Go over your options, and pick the one you like best. It's a little bit of work, but it lets you compare all your options.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've read on this forum that J Crew makes some decent suits for less than $1000. I like the grey wool idea.

A solid medium to dark grey suit is a great first (or only) suit. And if money's tight, you don't even need to drop $1000 on a suit. Frankly, a $350 suit that fits you perfectly is likely more than adequate. (Not that there's anything wrong with spending more than that. It's just that a $350 suit that fits you perfectly will often look better than a $1500 suit that's just a little bit off. And you'll probably feel better in it, too. An alterations guy who knows his stuff can prove invaluable.)

I might even have to show up for a court appearance this year, so I'll be ready for that.
All too few people bother wearing a suit to court these days. Still, it's often a good idea, and it's seldom a bad idea. If nothing else, it might make you feel more serious and focused (yes, the clothes we wear can influence how we feel), and feeling serious and focused when appearing before a judge isn't necessarily the worst thing in the world.

How often and with what clothes do you wear your Allen Edmonds Verona horsebit moccasins?
I wear them not infrequently, for various social occasions. They're certainly not my most frequently worn shoes, but if I'm going somewhere where I want a shoe a couple of notches above my Sperry Makos, but decidedly less dressy than the AE Park Avenues, well, that's dress loafer territory. I don't normally wear them with suits, although they're okay with sport coats. I wear them mostly with navy or grey pants; I don't care for the look of black shoes with tan or khaki pants. I don't typically wear jeans, but they'd probably be a good match to a pair of jeans and an OCBD.

In general, I don't care for black loafers; black seems to be contrary to the somewhat informal nature of most loafers. But I do like black horsebit loafers, for some reason.

'Course, some people just don't like loafers. Some of them regard loafers as "old man" shoes. Me, I'm 49, but I've liked loafers since I was young. Well, to each his own, right?
--
Michael

Dark Knot

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Success or Fail?
Oxxford Med. Grey Suit
Lavender BB shirt
Four in Hand Tie (purple/silver)
KW white linen PS w/ light blue edge
Hey Gauss17,

Given that this is an oxford grey suit, your choice of a lavender shirt complements your suit well, if you are going for a slightly understated look. As for the tie, I like the idea of a purple tie, as it complements the lavender very well given that it is essentially a darker shade of lavender, but the silver stripes add too much flash to the combination. I would replace the PS in thise case as otherwise with the light blue edge you would have too many colors going on with the grey, lavender, purple and blue. Alternatively, you can go for a bolder look, in which case a blue shirt and a bright yellow tie would complement the lighter grey very well. You could either go with a light or darker blue, but definetely go with a brighter yellow tie, preferably one with a print - hermes style animal prints would look great in this case as your suit and shirt are both solids. The PS should look good with this or you could go all out with a yellow PS. Hope this helps!

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I want to spend under $200 on the blazer. Where is the best place to start out at?

Although I don't own one, I've heard mostly positive things about the Anderson-Little Classic Blue Blazer. http://andersonlittle.com/blue_blazer And it does come in a little under budget. It's not 100% wool, but at least that means it's a good travel blazer.

Used blazers - often in mint condition - seem to routinely sell for pennies on the dollar on eBay. I even own a vintage Brooks Bros. blazer I got off eBay, at a cost of maybe 1/20 what a comparable item would cost new. It doesn't have a "modern" fit, but since I like that fact, it's not a problem for me. Anyway, if you're looking to wear this in a business environment, you probably don't want to go too close-fitting, even if you do prefer a somewhat trimmer than traditional fit.

Of the stores you mentioned, I'd probably give the nod to Jos. A. Bank (JAB). Now, don't misunderstand me - I'm not a big fan of JAB. I don't hate it the way some folks here do, but neither do I have any difficulty finding plenty wrong with it. Still, if the alternatives are Macy's, Sears, Men's Wearhouse, and the typical mall stores, JAB might just be the least bad choice. Maybe. Of course, don't buy from JAB until the item's on sale for 70% off. These sales seem to happen about every 10 days or so. (Disclaimer: I've never had much use for J. Crew or Banana Republic, so I'm really not very familiar with their sub-$200 business-appropriate blazer offerings.)

You know what, though? If you want new, and you want to keep it under $200, I'll repeat my initial suggestion - Anderson Little. Get it, maybe have some minor alterations done to it, and I bet it'll work out fine for you. And even if you eventually decide to move up to something nicer (and more expensive), it'll be a good 2nd or travel blazer to have around. And the fellow who runs the company is a regular over at AAAC, so if you do have a problem, it's possible to take it directly to the top man, instead of having to argue with some 19 year old salesperson who's working the job during summer vacation from college.
--
Michael

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads