• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

hamed

Reaction score
Hello there,
I have been searching for an online seller for GAP and Banana Republic since they don't accept paypal charge in their own site and want american creadit card and I dont have one.
recently I foun ASOS.com having some peieces of GAP but they don't deliver GAP to US but they do other brands !!!!
so I need some advice on where can I find those brands in an online seller like amazon, or any other brand like GAP, I like their plain polos and cargos.
thanks
Hamed

hamed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde
buy american express/visa gift cards at a supermarket

I'm in Iran and buy through a middleman so there is no choice, just paypal
frown.gif

konoyaro

Reaction score
Thinking of purchasing some Black Fleece shirts via the Brooks Brothers website. Can anyone comment on the sizing for a long sleeve shirt? I wear a 16.5 / 35, 44L and am wondering if the BB04 or BB05 would be best...

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an Armani single breasted, 2 button suit dated 1987. Judging by the words on this label, from what I have read this is a "black label" Armani in spite of the fact that the label is white. Is this correct? Any info welcome. The suit was originally sold by Boyd's in Philadelphia. Thanks.

1-27-11002.jpg

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by irust
Not sure if this is a stupid question, but I've looked over the web for slim fit khaki's and can't really find anything. In particular, I'm trying to find khakis that are very similar to the J Crew Urban Slim Fit (as I already have two pairs of these), however I can't find anything with traditional pockets or thats in my price range (< $65). Does anybody have any suggestions for where to look?
Traditional pockets?
I think Brooks Brothers has a nice slim one (Milano?). I've found Modern Amusement khakies are very thin and very very slim as another option off the top of my head.

Originally Posted by Rossbj2
Hello,
I am buying a suit and have been to several stores to try on suits. I'm athletically built and am just having a terrible time finding something that fits. I don't want to spend more than a few hundred on a suit right now and would appreciate any advice on finding a suit that will fit comfortably. Thanks.

As mentioned, either try find a brand that works for your frame and wait for a sale or look online for cheaper of the same model. You could take measurements off something that works for you and do cheaper made to measure if it's a proportion/fit thing, buy suit separates if it's a top versus bottom thing...

Originally Posted by GloryField
I recently bought a 3 button charcoal gray pinstriped suit jacket for $23 shipped from JC Penny on clearance sale. To my surprise, it's actually a perfect fit, even the sleeves are fine. However, my regular suit is charcoal gray solid, so I don't really have a matching pair of pants.
I plan on wearing this charcoal gray pinstripe to less formal occasionals, and possibly without a tie sometimes. Is ok to wear this with a charcoal gray solid, black solid, or gray glen plaid dress pants for non-formal situations, without tie? Or does it always need to be worn with a charcoal gray pinstripe pants.

If I'm understanding you... Are you saying you have 2 SUITS one plain and one pinstripe?

I don't see any problem wearing the suit jacket with non-matching pants. Generally pinstripes means it's from a suit but not everyone would notice that.

Originally Posted by readyinsemo
I am looking for some good quality ties for under $25 can anyone suggest good places to order online? I searched other posts but want to make sure I found all the good places.
Check the Buy and Sell here frequently. Many websites like Brooks Brothers, Charles Tyrwhitt, Hawed & Curtis, etc sell ties on clearance a few times a year.

ichobi

Reaction score
Hi all, I am interested in this JCrew Bowery weekender Duffle bag.

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...2457/22457.jsp

Screen+shot+2010-01-28+at+1.38.14+AM.png

Before I pull the trigger . I was wondering if anyone here has seen it or used it in person. I was wondering about the quality. I live in the UK and thus if the bag is not worth buying not only I have to pay for the bag, i have to pay for the shipping too.

If you guys have similar looking bag please also recommend. I really dig this Jcrew style but I think it's cost a bit more than it worths from the look of it.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ichobi
Hi all, I am interested in this JCrew Bowery weekender Duffle bag.

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...2457/22457.jsp

Screen+shot+2010-01-28+at+1.38.14+AM.png

Before I pull the trigger . I was wondering if anyone here has seen it or used it in person. I was wondering about the quality. I live in the UK and thus if the bag is not worth buying not only I have to pay for the bag, i have to pay for the shipping too.

If you guys have similar looking bag please also recommend. I really dig this Jcrew style but I think it's cost a bit more than it worths from the look of it.

The quality is decent, but not great. Brooks Brothers have a few similar bags on sale. I would check them out first.

konoyaro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by irust
Not sure if this is a stupid question, but I've looked over the web for slim fit khaki's and can't really find anything. In particular, I'm trying to find khakis that are very similar to the J Crew Urban Slim Fit (as I already have two pairs of these), however I can't find anything with traditional pockets or thats in my price range (< $65). Does anybody have any suggestions for where to look?

You might check out the Bills Khakis M3 series as they have a slim fit. STP has a couple in this series in your price range.

GloryField

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
If I'm understanding you... Are you saying you have 2 SUITS one plain and one pinstripe?

I don't see any problem wearing the suit jacket with non-matching pants. Generally pinstripes means it's from a suit but not everyone would notice that.
r.

So charcoal grey pinstripe suit jacket + charcoal grey (or black or herringbone grey) solid pants = ok?

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GloryField
I recently bought a 3 button charcoal gray pinstriped suit jacket for $23 shipped from JC Penny on clearance sale. To my surprise, it's actually a perfect fit, even the sleeves are fine. However, my regular suit is charcoal gray solid, so I don't really have a matching pair of pants.

I plan on wearing this charcoal gray pinstripe to less formal occasionals, and possibly without a tie sometimes. Is ok to wear this with a charcoal gray solid, black solid, or gray glen plaid dress pants for non-formal situations, without tie? Or does it always need to be worn with a charcoal gray pinstripe pants.

I don't think I've ever seen a suit coat worn without a suit as working. It will always look like a suit coat but orphaned. This is accentuated by the pin stripe which emphasises that it's a suit coat - lost and lonely. The material as well usually emphasises that it's a suit jacket.

If it is a thicker toward the tweedy end of thing then you might get away with it.

That said, and my prejudices aside,I have seen the odd person look ok in a kind of rock dog sort of way , wearing a suit jacket with well worn and washed jeans, even with holes (shudder), but generally with cowboy boots kind of look and the coat must be waisted. And the wearer may or may not also be wasted.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads