• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

dan138zig

Reaction score
So I got this knit tie that's too long except if I knot it with some bulkier knots. But I don't want my knot to be bulky. So is it okay to tuck the tie into my pants or slip it between the lower buttons of my shirt? I think it won't be noticeable since I'll be wearing a jacket. Thanks.

Last edited:

zachthais

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
How can I sell something on this site? Can't seem to find the "List Item" option anywhere in the B/S section...

Minarchist

Reaction score

Anyone ? My main concern is about the chest area and the closed quarters question.

Looks far too large in the shoulders, to me (though it's a bit hard to tell due to the flash throwing glare). They're hanging off the edge of your shoulder blade. Looks like you could size down one, maybe even two.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Penny or Tassel Loafers ? I want a pair in Burgundy.

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Penny is better I think. I don't "get" the tassel. Why not add some bells to jingle along as the tassel bounces up and down? For some reason it reminds me of a fishing lure. I've seen too many tasseled loafers + double-breasted suit combos (blech) that I've grown to detest that shoe. Too be fair, it does have its place. A tasseled loafer, pleated chino, and denim shirt w/ the name of your company is a good way to class up an IT convention.

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Tassel to be honest. I love my #8 shell tassel loafers. Personally, I feel like penny loafers are also more ubiquitous. I think that tassel loafers can be 'fuddy-duddyish' but it is wholely dependent on the last.

For example:

Sexy.

And these are my pair:

2011-04-15_14-21-03_761.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pictures...

But penny loafers can be pretty sweet too:

Alden6.jpg

In the end, it is more a function of the last than anything. Both classic designs, both can potentially be old-manish, but on the right last with the right design, they are both excellent choices. So I guess it is more of a personal opinion thing.

Last edited:

Miha28

Reaction score
I'm going back home from a student exchange on Sunday and will be travelling around for 14 days. I'm a bit confused about packing the suits (2 suits) and shirts bought here. I'm thinking about packing the shirts into a bag and just vacuuming the air out of it as I am pretty limited with the space in my luggage. What's the best way to pack the suits? I was considering just carrying them in a suit bag with me on a plane and then letting them hang in the hotel.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm going back home from a student exchange on Sunday and will be travelling around for 14 days. I'm a bit confused about packing the suits (2 suits) and shirts bought here. I'm thinking about packing the shirts into a bag and just vacuuming the air out of it as I am pretty limited with the space in my luggage. What's the best way to pack the suits? I was considering just carrying them in a suit bag with me on a plane and then letting them hang in the hotel.

Here is the A Harris method:

http://www.styleforum.net/forum/thread/520/no-title

I think you will be fine folding them. You could also ship if you are that worried. It wouldn't be more than 30-40 dollars.

Scotty

Reaction score
Anyone ? My main concern is about the chest area and the closed quarters question.

Scotty,

I'm afraid that you are not going to be happy with this jacket in the long run. My advise is to return it.

The basic cut, including the closed quarters that you mention, appear to my eye to be more appropriate for a suit jacket than for an 'odd jacket'. Nothing short of totally reworking the shape of the lower quarters is going to change that. And that is not such a quick and easy thing to have done.

It's a basically nice jacket - I'm just not sure it's shaped correctly for your intended use.

-G

Looks far too large in the shoulders, to me (though it's a bit hard to tell due to the flash throwing glare). They're hanging off the edge of your shoulder blade. Looks like you could size down one, maybe even two.

Ok, thanks.

Gdot, Now that you mention the suit thing, I was also concerned about the dark buttons, I'm thinking now that it can even be an orphaned jacket sold at the outlet ?

Minarchist, you may be right about the shoulders. It protudes a little but, as the rest fitted well I though I could live with that.

So, final verdict: Return it ? Anyone against ?

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So I got this knit tie that's too long except if I knot it with some bulkier knots. But I don't want my knot to be bulky. So is it okay to tuck the tie into my pants or slip it between the lower buttons of my shirt? I think it won't be noticeable since I'll be wearing a jacket. Thanks.

Or, just leave the smaller blade longer than the front.

Everybody loves a bit of Sprezzatura.

Lumme

Reaction score
Hi Guys
Need some inspiration here. Just bought a pair of Bordeaux-red Chinos, but what can I combined them with? Any ideas? I was thinking Navy-blue driving mocs/loafers and a crisp white shirt?!

Lumme

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My friend's first reaction to my Venetian Loafer is - OLD MAN!!!

Personally I would pick Penny Loafers.

feastmaster

Reaction score
I may be attending an opening of an exhibit at the art museum. I am a little confused as what would be appropriate to wear for an event like this. My friend who attends many of these events and other social events suggested "summer dressy, but not necessarily a tie." What's the consensus here?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics