• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
Something that's always bothered me. How was polyester so abundant during the '70s, a period marked by a historic oil crisis?
You might find some answers in Susannah Handley's Nylon: The Story of a Fashion Revolution (1999). Despite the title, it's a history of all synthetic fabrics for clothes, and how they were marketed. I've not read it; but apparently there's plenty on the history of how polyester garments were brought to market and pitched to the public.

mcfly26

Reaction score
Can anyone help me identify these asics sneakeres?

Screenshot 2023-09-27 at 15.58.00.png

goalaso

Reaction score
Looking at this used wool-alpaca overcoat, and trying to figure out if the creases and lines running through the (slightly fuzzy) alpaca-wool blend fabric are just from folding in storage for years, and will go away with pressing or hanging? Or if they are marks that are now pretty much permanent?
1699547774975.png

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@goalaso they look like it’s been squashed into a bag and then hung up. I’d wager they’ll come out with some steam.

Baked Potato

Reaction score
All my gloves are rather classic in colour (different shades of brown and black). I saw a beautiful pair of yellow carpincho gloves that I really liked. What do you guys think?

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at this used wool-alpaca overcoat, and trying to figure out if the creases and lines running through the (slightly fuzzy) alpaca-wool blend fabric are just from folding in storage for years, and will go away with pressing or hanging? Or if they are marks that are now pretty much permanent?
1699547774975.png
Agree with Simon C, get it cleaned and pressed and see how it turns out….
All my gloves are rather classic in colour (different shades of brown and black). I saw a beautiful pair of yellow carpincho gloves that I really liked. What do you guys think?
Yellow, yes. Also green. IMHO

acconrad

Reaction score
Got a holiday party coming up: looking for a sleeveless cardigan color…

- navy sportcoat
- white French cuff shirt
- blackwatch plaid pants
- bottle green tie
- black oxfords

Was thinking light gray sleeveless cardigan?

Last edited:

ysc2

Reaction score
Best RTW suit options in London for £800-£1.5k. Just found out the casual wedding I am going to next Friday is not that casual and I will be sitting on a table with some business contacts.

Haven't bought a suit for ~10 years and none of them work any more.

Not Suit Supply, done with slim fit suits. Would prefer nothing too old manish either though. Looking at Anglo Italian but they are waiting on a delivery of suits which might not come in time.

I need to try on and buy this weekend to get it tailored in time!

All suggestions gratefully recieved.

tarunds

Reaction score
I have two queries
Purpose: All purpose

# Jacket
Looking for a top layer for winters in UK?
I am a junior doctor and my work environment is semi formal ie usually odd jacket with smart trousers.

I have a new overcoat I got made in Loro Piana fabric however am realising its a little tough to manage in wet and windy weather.

I also had a burberry puffer jacket which got nicked recently hence i need to replace it.

Some of the options that come to my mind are:
1. Puffer jacket by Rab or North Face
2. Parka: eg by canada goose or similar
3. Some trench coat and layer it underneath with cardigan etc.

Is there a better way to manage UK winters which are not that cold but can be windy and wet.?

# Shoes for work
am also on the lookout for shoes to complement the above environment and attires.
in summers i usually wear C&J Crawford penny loafers almost on a daily basis somehow they don't sound right in winters.
i do have light brown Chelsea shoes from Cheney but the colour makes them look a little casual that go better with jeans rather than trousers.
Thinking on the lines of EG Galaway or Dovers.
happy to hear suggestions?

Last edited:

ysc2

Reaction score
You could get a Barbour? With a zip in lining they can tackle the coldest weather you will get in Brighton and there is a barbour shop in Brighton.

I like dark brown pebble grain boots with a dainite sole in the winter. I wouldn't wear them with a suit (except perhaps a casual tweed one) but they will go with most other stuff and most UK shoe makes make one.

tarunds

Reaction score
Thanks for a prompt response.
Could you share 1-2 examples / links from Barbour?
i can see a no of jackets like wax, quilted, parkas etc and sleeveless gilets and liners?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics