• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

LUBE UP

Reaction score
Watching shows like Mad Men and A Single Man, I can't help but notice the main character always uses new white shirts, never seeming to reuse them. Was that a common practice in that era? Surely having to buy so many shirts they have to be quite cheap, and rather uncomfortable..

mojoe_24

Reaction score
Yeah, I really hate the square toes, but they were the only shoes they had in my size when I bought them and I was in a hurry, lol. Hopefully I'll be able to find relatively cheap pair of shoes. Don't really have too much money to spend right now.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LUBE UP
Watching shows like Mad Men and A Single Man, I can't help but notice the main character always uses new white shirts, never seeming to reuse them. Was that a common practice in that era? Surely having to buy so many shirts they have to be quite cheap, and rather uncomfortable..

That's not the case. They look new because they are coming out of packages because that is how they got them back from the cleaners, folded and in plastic. If you go to a better dry cleaner you can opt to have them sent back to you this way. I do, the collars come out much better and you can recycle the materials rather than it being a hasstle to bring back hangers, or worse, throwing them in the garbage.

mojoe_24

Reaction score
What color tie would be good for navy/lavender combo? I'll probably go out tomorrow and look for shoes/tie. I got some pictures of the suit/shirt and the only tie that I have that seemed to match. Haha, I would have got a picture with the whole view (shoes/pants too) but I was wearing some shorts and just was making sure the shirt/jacket looked fine together. All the pictures make it look lighter than the shirt is.
8d2687ee.jpg
1087fb44.jpg

vthustle

Reaction score
Hopefully someone can help with this...

I'm the treasurer in my university's Men's Chorus and we're looking into getting blazers/sportcoats for each member to wear for performances. The criteria: solid maroon, ability to order in fairly large quantities, and affordable. Although price isn't a real issue for me personally, I think most of the guys won't be willing to pay as much as I would (since they'd probably only wear them for performances, which is about twice a semester). Are there any possibilities for say, $150?

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it more staylish to roll up your sleeves evenly to almost elbow or roll half way then push past elbow? or some other way?

I like dress shirts but I almost never wear them without rolling up the sleeves.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just tonight was asked to serve as godfather to a friend's newborn son. I am stoked.

At their church ties are standard, jackets are 50/50. I plan on showing up to the christening in a navy suit and, if I'm feeling adventurous, a Buchanan tartan bow tie. (Friend is proud of his Scottish ancestry and slightly eccentric. It'd work.)

Question is: white flower in the lapel, or skip that?

D Yizz

Reaction score
Is a cream colored linen jacket appropriate to use at night with dark unwashed APC style jeans? It's for my 20th anniv. high school reunion and the invitation states "casual". If so, what shirt color? Oxford blue, white, gingham?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by D Yizz
Is a cream colored linen jacket appropriate to use at night with dark unwashed APC style jeans? It's for my 20th anniv. high school reunion and the invitation states "casual". If so, what shirt color? Oxford blue, white, gingham?

I did that one, I wore a cream colored blazer to the Opera and felt weird all night. It didn't bother me much, but I could sense that something was wrong. I think, in a perfect world, you should not do something like that, but in this world, I really don't think anyone will notice. So, my point is, if you feel fine with it then do it, if not then don't. I wouldn't care what others would think, because they just won't.

D Yizz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
I did that one, I wore a cream colored blazer to the Opera and felt weird all night. It didn't bother me much, but I could sense that something was wrong. I think, in a perfect world, you should not do something like that, but in this world, I really don't think anyone will notice. So, my point is, if you feel fine with it then do it, if not then don't. I wouldn't care what others would think, because they just won't.

Thing is, 5 years ago, I went to our reunion with dark jeans and a short sleeved button down. I felt way under dressed because everyone was in slacks and either short sleeved or long sleeved button downs. Since now the invitation specifically says casual, and casual in the real world is jeans and polos or button downs, I feel confident to go with jeans, but still want to dress it up a bit with a blazer. I feel like an 18 y/o undecided on his prom attire...
laugh.gif

Okano

Reaction score
Hello Guys I'm going to buy a new messenger mag and I found a really great one.
m3211-3211---2.jpg
m3211-3211---1.jpg
Now I'm not sure about the color ... My usual style is really casual : dark coat , white shirt, dark blue jeans and black shoes. Would you take the light one to highlight the contrast, or the dark one so it fits more in my style (which it doesn't all in all)?

Amizerek42

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Looking to pick up my first pair of entry level shoes... I would like a recommendation on which shoe is the best value / quality for the price out of those listed.

AE Park Ave's will be on sale for ~200 @ Nordstrom starting the 16th.

Fratelli Rossetti brown lace up ~225 @ yoox if the 10% is still in effect.

Also considering:

Sergio Rossi ~200 @ yoox ..although I haven't heard much positive feedback regarding this brand.

If there is another option that is better please let me know. I would like to keep it around ~250 or less.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Amizerek42
Hi guys,

Looking to pick up my first pair of entry level shoes... I would like a recommendation on which shoe is the best value / quality for the price out of those listed.

AE Park Ave's will be on sale for ~200 @ Nordstrom starting the 16th.

Fratelli Rossetti brown lace up ~225 @ yoox if the 10% is still in effect.

Also considering:

Sergio Rossi ~200 @ yoox ..although I haven't heard much positive feedback regarding this brand.

If there is another option that is better please let me know. I would like to keep it around ~250 or less.

They're all about the same if you consider price/quality ratio. Sergio Rossi actually makes good shoes, though it's hard to compare to AE Park Avenue, it's like orange and apple. If they're of the same style (plain captoe) and color, I would pay attention to the last. I personally don't like AE PA, somewhat too clunky to my taste. FR and SR most probably have sleeker lasts (However, it's hard to tell without pictures). It's personal taste though.

Amizerek42

Reaction score
thanks for the quick response.. After looking them over I am actually leaning towards the sergio rossi plain toe in dark brown. It seems a bit less formal and more age appropriate as I am only 24.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads