• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Bill Dlwgosh

Reaction score
At a half inch difference I probably wouldn't even touch the shoulders. I wasn't sure if the chest and waist adjust would be considered good ol' "waist suppression". For length, especially as a slightly tall guy I wondered if I could get away with shortening the jacket by an inch and wearing a jacket that would then be an inch longer than what's in the pic... but maybe not eh'?

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oy. I was dead set on wearing a bow tie. Let me see what I can come up with...

I have three suits: Grey, Black, and Khaki. I have a navy suit as well, but the pants are at the tailor so it's out of the question for now.

I'll go with the grey suit and wear the navy vest. If it looks off, I'll take off the vest. Still debating the tie, but I was really hoping to wear a bow tie. I have a black patterned bow tie. I might have to try that. My 'date' is wearing a red dress. Hence the red bow tie. Must rethink all of this.

How dark is the grey? I'll be blasted for it, but if it's lighter than charcoal, black is more appropriate for black tie optional. Even if it is charcoal, I still think black is better. From an etiquette standpoint, it's the closest thing you have to what the host/hostess wants (Black Tie), and as long as you wear it with a four in hand tie (black, or midnight) it will be clear you are wearing a suit, and also clear you are doing your best to honour the dress code. This is the most appropriate, respectful course of action. If this is likely to happen again, eBay, consignment stores, and savvyrow.co.uk are your friends for acquiring an inexpensive Tux. Mine (jacket and pants) was $140. One I was looking at today in a consignment store, with some visible damage on the chest, was $65 but effing beautiful everywhere else. They've had it over a year and I'm going to try to haggle them down next week, due to the damage, and wear it to less formal events, and ones where I might expect drinks to be spilled. It's double breasted, so suited to more informal settings anyway. But I digress!

Honestly, if it truly is BTO, wear the black suit. I said it! SF gods, strike me down if you must!

J011yroger

Reaction score
^^ I second that emotion.

Now for my question: What's the survival rate on letting down jacket bodies? Do they always come out awful?

J

Valire

Reaction score
What are the best bespoke shoe threads and best bespoke suit threads? Any sites you guys recommend besides SF?

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

How dark is the grey?  I'll be blasted for it, but if it's lighter than charcoal, black is more appropriate for black tie optional.  Even if it is charcoal, I still think black is better.  From an etiquette standpoint, it's the closest thing you have to what the host/hostess wants (Black Tie), and as long as you wear it with a four in hand tie (black, or midnight) it will be clear you are wearing a suit, and also clear you are doing your best to honour the dress code.  This is the most appropriate, respectful course of action. If this is likely to happen again, eBay, consignment stores, and savvyrow.co.uk are your friends for acquiring an inexpensive Tux.  Mine (jacket and pants) was $140.  One I was looking at today in a consignment store, with some visible damage on the chest, was $65 but effing beautiful everywhere else.  They've had it over a year and I'm going to try to haggle them down next week, due to the damage, and wear it to less formal events, and ones where I might expect drinks to be spilled.  It's double breasted, so suited to more informal settings anyway.  But I digress!

Honestly, if it truly is BTO, wear the black suit.  I said it!  SF gods, strike me down if you must!

Okay cool. The black suit is a Nehru collar though. That's the only hold up.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Okay cool. The black suit is a Nehru collar though. That's the only hold up.

Well, That really comes down to weather you want to wear a Nehru collar, I guess. I'm inclined to say don't, but then I'd have been inclined to sy don't buy it, also. It will certainly stand out; How dark is the grey?

Edit: whether*

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Actually I'm going to disagree with my esteemed colleagues for once:

It's black tie, or it's not. Wearing something "as close to black tie" as possible, without it actually being black tie, is half-assed. Wear black tie, or wear a lounge suit. And if it's a lounge suit, charcoal or navy is ideal for an evening event, with a neat navy or burgundy tie respectively, light blue or white shirt and a clean white PS. Safe. A smart lounge suit. But trying to be a bit black tie by wearing a black suit with a long black tie, is off. In itself, it's a Blues Brothers/Ska revival thing, and it is definitely not the way to go!

But, the nehru collar is brilliant. RTC is Indian by ethnicity, and doesn't have black tie to hand. So he's going a version of "national dress". OK, not exactly. But he's an Indian guy in an Indian suit, looking super clean and minimalist. I think that works better than even a SF-approved lounge suit, let alone a half-black-tie lounge suit would. Go Indian, and go proud.

A story for you: nine years ago I was visiting a friend for a couple of days in New Delhi. First time ever in India, just for a weekend. I am not Indian. I am possibly the whitest man on Earth (even though I'm black on the inside and have Japanese feet). Anyway, on arrival, my even whiter (i.e. Scottish) friend asks me if I brought a dinner suit. We're going to dinner that night at the US Ambassador's residence for some kind of US Marine Corps bicentennial or something or other celebration, dress code is black tie. He didn't tell me. Can I get a dinner suit made in a day, like I could in, say, Hong Kong? No chance. Can I find a cheap one off the peg that fits. Debatable. Brainwave. Mimo buys some black shoes, and a cream colour Nehru-style suit. It was one of only three such outfits among several hundred guests, the only light coloured one, and certainly the only one being worn by a non-Indian. But it was universally agreed to be an awesome look, because I was happy and confident that it looked awesome.

Moral of the story: if you have to be a bit different, be a lot different and embrace it. Wearing something that says you have some balls, is better than wearing an apology, by a long way.

P.S. Michael, that last comment made me LOL. :)

Last edited:

abl

Reaction score
I'm looking for a new wallet -- one that I can use both at work (business casual) and home (with jeans). My preference is for a thin bifold. Budget's about $40.

Thoughts about getting one of these?: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/t...inimalist-rfid-blocking-patent-pending-wallet

I'm willing to be patient with the whole kickstarter thing, and dig the look. Thoughts? Got a favorite? I'm leaning towards one of the brown leather combo ones, although some of the color ones look slick also (pics below).

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I'd go with something plainer myself, but of those maybe the top one. Actually the navy one second from bottom is kind of fun. I just think the novelty will wear off rather fast. Anyway, if you like it, buy it. And if not, buy another one. Don't buy number two though, it's horrible.

Those are my views if you're actually seriously asking the world which reasonably-priced leather wallet you should buy. If, on the other hand, your 37 posts (that I can't be bothered to check) are all in different threads promoting a kickstarter project for a wallet with a stripe on it, then do feel free to **** off.

In the mean time, you have the benefit of the doubt, and I hope you get something you like. :)

abl

Reaction score
I promise, I'm not a Kickstarter promoter or in any way affiliated with the above (or any other) project :) I do think the top (brown w/ beige) and the dark blue ones are my favs now. The bright blue one looked neat on their website but is horrendous as posted above.

Got any other relatively cheap wallet suggestions?

pantaleon

Reaction score

I don't think this will be a quick question, but as I'm new here, I thought I'd err on the side of caution.

Sart posted this photo all the way back in 2009. I suspect many here have seen it.

Since I first saw this photo, I've been trying to identify the shoe on the right, let alone find a name for that style. Is it a monk strap, a type of monkstrap, a man's mary jane or something else? What is the space between the strap and the vamp called? A window?

Once or twice a year, I'll try doing reverse image searches using both google and tineye, but have yet to have any luck. I've tried searching for shoes that were part of the 2009 F/W RL collection but it's never shown up. I've never even come across another men's shoe with this design. At this point I'm beginning to think only someone who was there will know what it was, so I'm hoping SF can help shed some light on the issue.

Also, if anyone thinks this question would be better as its own post, let me know...still trying to get a feel for the rules here.

Additionally, since it's common for people to ask about the shoes on the left, they are Marlows by C&J for Ralph Lauren, though I believe the Marlow is based off of C&J's own Cardiff.

edit - grammar and such

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
**** mimo, you're giving me second thoughts. I just thrifted a burgundy tie to match my friend's dress.

I don't know what shirt I'd wear...

I'll go with the gray suit, navy vest, and burgundy tie.

I'll break out the nehru suit next month for a different holiday party.

Eep. I would have loved to wear it tonight, but gahhhh!!! I'll post a picture later!

Also, it's snowing so I might have to wear brown dress boots instead of the black cap toes I was hoping to wear!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads