• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

GrensonMan

Reaction score
I've been looking at shirt brands such as Isaia, Borelli, and Thomas Pink. While Pink does offer a slim option, I fear that might still be a bit big and will undoubtedly require alterations. Would I be better off going MTM on the shirts or does the quality of said brands far exceed that of MTM? Thank you.

GrensonMan

Reaction score
Come on gents, some advice please?

From the pictures it looks like the fit is not that great. The waist needs suppression and the shoulders are large. Also the sleeve length is too long. Given all that it needs to fit properly, I would not keep it. Plus, that style is more for a shirt IMO and very hard to pull off on a blazer.

mekato1

Reaction score
hey guys i'm looking for some cognac blucher wingtips for less than $250. Any advice?

BK Pogue

Reaction score
Thanks, that's pretty close to what I thought felt right, but the more researching I did, the more doubt crept in.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm undecided about this stripe blazer... can I make it work, or should I return it and get something easier to wear?

My answer depends on how long before you are eligible for parole and whether you need that oversized jacket to smuggle contraband into your prison.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hey guys i'm looking for some cognac blucher wingtips for less than $250. Any advice?

I keep seeing Allen Edmonds Players' shoe in walnut at Nordstrom Rack for $199. You can probably find some on EBay as well from others who recently picked them up at a hefty discount.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm undecided about this stripe blazer... can I make it work, or should I return it and get something easier to wear?

Looks pretty bad. It's a tough pattern to use in the first place, but the pockets are the killers for me. Weird/bad pattern matching, flapped pockets (even the chest)...the whole thing looks like an epilepsy hazard.

comeonyouspurs

Reaction score
Hello all. Just picked up a Harris Tweed Gray/Black herringbone jacket off of ebay. I am a bit confused on what color trousers would be appropriate though. I've read that black is not a good choice so what should I go for? Thanks.

Handcuffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I purchased a raincoat (single breasted, no belted trench coat?) that unfortunately is a bit too large for me (my old size, but I've been working out and dieting and it's too big and only going to get bigger on me).

Is it possible to have a tailor slim sleeves and take in the waist/back to have this thing fit me more like a loose fitting classic raincoat and less like a poncho?

I'm not all too familiar with alterations to ready-to-wear clothing.

Poindexter

Reaction score

Looks pretty bad. It's a tough pattern to use in the first place, but the pockets are the killers for me. Weird/bad pattern matching, flapped pockets (even the chest)...the whole thing looks like an epilepsy hazard.

Good call, Gibonius. I missed the wonky pockets in the general misfitting and other associated tragedies of this jacket.

OP, do not go there.

GrensonMan

Reaction score
I've been looking at shirt brands such as Isaia, Borelli, and Thomas Pink. While Pink does offer a slim option, I fear that might still be a bit big and will undoubtedly require alterations. Would I be better off going MTM on the shirts or does the quality of said brands far exceed that of MTM? Thank you.

Anyone?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads