• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Armani Tuxedo for my wedding

Montrachet

Reaction score
Chinese tea ceremony?! You should wear this then!

guanyu-800.jpg

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
Why are you still talking about this? Dude said he wanted ventless, your statement about ventless being wrong was incorrect, quit blustering on.

K

Another poster claimed that MTM does not enable a client to choose his vent options and I was simply disagreeing with this person.

elapsed

Reaction score
Just to clarify, I was fitted for my made-to-measure Armani tuxedo by David Newlove of Armani Collezioni. He was in Vancouver from New York for a special event at Harry Rosen. I specifically asked if there was a double-vented option available and he informed me that all Armani tuxedo's are ventless.

cheers,
elapsed

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by elapsed
Just to clarify, I was fitted for my made-to-measure Armani tuxedo by David Newlove of Armani Collezioni. He was in Vancouver from New York for a special event at Harry Rosen. I specifically asked if there was a double-vented option available and he informed me that all Armani tuxedo's are ventless.

cheers,
elapsed

And they call that made-to-measure? that's the dumbest thing I ever heard. What if someone doesn't want his Armani MTM tuxedo without a vent? That's not made-to-measure!

AlSailor

Reaction score
Armani is known for ventless coats. It is their signature style. With vents, it would be made-to-measure but perhaps not Armani anymore.

awcollin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
And they call that made-to-measure? that's the dumbest thing I ever heard. What if someone doesn't want his Armani MTM tuxedo without a vent? That's not made-to-measure!

Apparently you have quite the hang up regarding this issue. Maybe you should contact Armani directly to explain your displeasure with services that another paid for.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
Now that I think about it, doesn't the Chinese wedding tea ceremony require a lot of crawling around on your knees?

no it doesn't

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by awcollin
Apparently you have quite the hang up regarding this issue. Maybe you should contact Armani directly to explain your displeasure with services that another paid for.

I've already done so.
bigstar[1].gif

elapsed

Reaction score
Dropped by Harry Rosen this afternoon and had them show me bowties from Armani, Tino Cosma, and Dion. The Armani was fairly expensive and hard to tie, so I selected a really nice bowtie from Tino Cosma, one that has a guide measure in the back so I can select a size 16 neck.

Spent a good half hour learning to tie her above my knee, and then another 45 minutes in front of a mirror. Managed to tie a really beautiful knot this evening after all of the hard work, I'll practice a few more times before my wedding.

You guys were absolutely right, the bowtie looks and feels great. When I first tried on a bowtie last week it was with a ready-tied model from Armani and it looked just awful, so I can certainly appreciate the difference with a self-tie. It boggles my mind that Armani would even have a ready-tied model available for purchase, at the same price as the self-tie. (?)

Also tried on a pair of patent leather Ferragamo's and felt it will really pull the tux together. Any advice on picking a pair with a black leather sole vs a pair with a brown/beige leather sole? Of course I will have Topy applied, though I do usually pick out a brown/beige sole as it gives that extra hint of the shoes not being of a cheap rubber variety. Any advice for which soles to pick with a tux?

cheers,
elapsed

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also tried on a pair of patent leather Ferragamo's and felt it will really pull the tux together. Any advice on picking a pair with a black leather sole vs a pair with a brown/beige leather sole? Of course I will have Topy applied, though I do usually pick out a brown/beige sole as it gives that extra hint of the shoes not being of a cheap rubber variety. Any advice for which soles to pick with a tux?

The colour of the sole doesn't really matter, since it'll get ripped up in a few minutes of wearing it any way. Not sure you should get a Topy though, since you won't be wearing these shoes often enough to warrant the Topy look. Just make sure you wear in the soles a bit before your wedding, so you don't slip on any slick surfaces.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is their right to deny certain options if they feel they are not in keeping with their brand image. For example, Thick As Thieves will not do lapels wider than 3", does this mean that they are not made-to-measure either? Armani simply do not want loads of clothes around with their name on which don't represent the style of the brand, nor do they want their name to be associated with 'incorrect' garments such as vented dinner-jackets. If you really want a vented dinner-jacket you just don't go to Armani, in the same way that if you want an unstructured coat you don't go to Huntsman, and that you wouldn't go to A&S and ask them to make you coat without drape.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
I want to make sure I understand this correctly, gentlemen: virtually everyone on SF is saying that a tuxedo, by virtue of the garment being a tuxedo, MUST always be ventless?

Forgive me, gentlemen, but that is the biggest crock of sh!t I've ever heard or read. I say that with the utmost respect, of course.

I'm very sorry but I must respectfully disagree. In the 30s, 40s, and 50s, tuxedos and dinner jackets, just like suit jackets and odd jackets, didn't have vents simply because the dominant style at that time didn't favour vents of any kind; in the 60s, tuxedos, dinner jackets, suit jackets and odd jackets featured short vents (either center or side vents); in the 70s, they featured longer vents (center or sides); ditto in the 80s; in the 90s, ventless dominated for most of the decade and I notice that a lot of tuxedos, dinner jackets, suit jackets and odd jackets today feature side vents or center vents once more.

1. All of my suits are double-vented, this is how I am most comfortable. However, Armani only makes ventless tuxedo's to my knowledge. This is fairly timeless and classic,

cheers,
elapsed

Originally Posted by VKK3450

A dinner jacket / tuxedo is “supposed” to be ventless.

The OP is correct.

Originally Posted by jeff13007

Ventless Tuxedo is correct

Originally Posted by larsrindsig

Dinner jackets are meant to be ventless.

Originally Posted by Douglas

First off, to that guy that said ventless is bad, you don't know what you're talking about. Ventless is the classic tuxedo.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to make sure I understand this correctly, gentlemen: virtually everyone on SF is saying that a tuxedo, by virtue of the garment being a tuxedo, MUST always be ventless?
Actually, no one has said must, but instead some people have just pointed out that your pointing out that a ventless tuxedo is ipso facto somehow 'wrong' is well... wrong. And 5 posters are not 'everyone' either.

LaoHu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
Just make sure you wear in the soles a bit before your wedding, so you don't slip on any slick surfaces.

This is very good advice.

LaoHu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Actually, no one has said must, but instead some people have just pointed out that your pointing out that a ventless tuxedo is ipso facto somehow 'wrong' is well... wrong.

Well put.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads