1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Aristocratic sports and pasttime activities

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Jerome, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member

nice first post
    Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Concordia

Concordia Well-Known Member

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member

^ That actually looks pretty nice! Like a hybrid of tennis and the Eton wall-game. [​IMG] Especially if it's played in that Victorian trainstation look-a-like: quite brutal-inski! I wonder if we have some such facilities here, too. I did play lots of tennis in my teens and twens both in- and outdoors and mainly on 'sand' as we call it here...

4. Concordia

Concordia Well-Known Member

^ That actually looks pretty nice! Like a hybrid of tennis and the Eton wall-game. [​IMG] Especially if it's played in that Victorian trainstation look-a-like: quite brutal-inski! I wonder if we have some such facilities here, too. I did play lots of tennis in my teens and twens both in- and outdoors and mainly on 'sand' as we call it here...

There are courts left in England, Scotland, and France, as well as the US and Australia.

http://www.curtc.net/googlemap.php

FWIW, this the sport mentioned in Act 1, Scene 2 of Henry V. The lines with the puns on the rules of tennis are mostly cut from the film versions.

5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member

^ Thanks again, interesting map. Unfortunately we in Austria do not seem to have any of those left although we even had some 'courts' in Graz and Klagenfurt, it seems. I'll also re-read those passages: Nice!

6. howbah

howbah Well-Known Member

^ Thanks again, interesting map. Unfortunately we in Austria do not seem to have any of those left although we even had some 'courts' in Graz and Klagenfurt, it seems. I'll also re-read those passages: Nice!
    the Ballhausplatz is named after a "real tennis" court built there by the Emperor Ferdinand I.

7. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Yeah, sailing is definitely not stuck on the rich-boy side of the scale.

Sure, there are rich dudes who sail their teak decked beautiful 40ft cruisers off of montauk...but anyone who has actually done sailing as a competitive sport knows that this is not the case.

Racers come from all walks of life...I did the chicago mac last year and one of the guys on our crew basically does construction while another ran an advertising firm in new york.

8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member

the Ballhausplatz is named after a "real tennis" court built there by the Emperor Ferdinand I.
    It would be fun to turn up at the Bureau of the Federal Chancellor with our tennis-bags and shout: 'Now where is that f+kcin tennis court??' [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Well-Known Member

10. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Well-Known Member

How about hunting humans? http://huntme4sport.com/
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

11. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Well-Known Member

sleeping

1 person likes this.