• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apple tv

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Was standing in line for the genius bar the other day, saw the gen 2 Apple TV for like $50, bought it while in line. I didn't realize at the time that they'd just previewed the new one, but since it's mainly the 1080p upgrade, it doesn't bother me, I am not a picture stickler about TV's. I have a 1080p LED but I've never really sat and wasted my time comparing TV's considering the crap that comes on air where I live. I didn't really expect much from this thing anyway, so considering I bought it to **** around with, it's not bad. It does a few interesting things at least.

I am finding the youtube function kinda fun and surprisingly less choppy and more usable on my 40" TV than I'd expected, so that is good, will show wife and she will enjoy it. I did the Remote app on my iPhone and that is kinda fun. I can do the Japanese or American iTunes store, so I have an ok range of choices to watch. Going to the DVD rental shop on 3 separate days would pay for the apple TV, so whateva. It should be alright. I will jailbreak it soon and start playing avi's from my MBP or maybe set up a server from my Mini downstairs and just stream lots of shows and movies from near my airport base.

blairh

Reaction score
I'm going to purchase a third gen Apple TV once Mountain Lion is released. I'll be able to FINALLY wirelessly stream my movie collection from my MBA to my HDTV using AirPlay Mirroring. Can't wait.

epb

Reaction score
Does AirPlay really work well? I don't own a tv but I've been considering this for streaming to a monitor from my iPad when I want a larger display or to show someone something without having to crowd over the 'pad.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apple tv sounds great for streaming via Mac to tv but if one wants to stream downloaded (torrent) movies (and doesn't want to mess around with various software installations to enable such compatibility), it seems a generic media player is the way to go. Something like Western Digital Live TV media Player or without the live element, the Digital AV Player.

blairh

Reaction score

Apple tv sounds great for streaming via Mac to tv but if one wants to stream downloaded (torrent) movies (and doesn't want to mess around with various software installations to enable such compatibility), it seems a generic media player is the way to go. Something like Western Digital Live TV media Player or without the live element, the Digital AV Player.

With Mountain Lion coming this summer you'll be able to mirror your display directly onto your HDTV through your Apple TV. (AirPlay Mirroring.) You can play any video file on our Mac and it will show up on your HDTV wirelessly. It's a killer feature that kills any need for a generic media player.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads