• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone in the Southern California Area want to help me find a job?

zbelden00

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fiasco
I live about 20 mins from Riverside

willing to commute ~1.5 hrs

from orange county to LA to San Diego.

Open to a lot of industries...

just looking to get my foot in the door somewhere where I have to opportunity to grow and earn my stripes. Looking to start a career basically.

Falling into the first industry that gives you a shot is a mistake imo.. Young graduates who get good grades from good schools but no experience are a dime a dozen (not trying to be a dick). Do some soul searching to find out exactly what you want to do then research that industry and get yourself in. You have an advantage because you live in such a populated area so you have pretty much every industry represented within ~1 hour of where you live. Good luck man. I'm a recent college grad (June 09') and just started at a great company and really enjoying it, however, I went to probably 20+ interviews and meetings and sent my resume to 300+ ADs. It took me a while but it is possible for recent grads to find work in today's environment.

fiasco

Reaction score
Update:

Had the phone interview and got another interview tomorrow at 2:30.

The only thing is, its really entry level (12.50/hr) and the position only goes to Aug 31.

I'm afraid of working here for 9 months and then not being offered a regular position.

What do you guys think?

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have something better to do? Its a job, take it. You can always look for something else while you are working if you don't like it.

fiasco

Reaction score
True, if i get offered the job im going to take it.

I am a hard worker and I feel I can make an impression in 9 months to put myself in position for an offer at the end.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, at least you'll have work experience too.
foo.gif

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbelden00
Falling into the first industry that gives you a shot is a mistake imo.. Young graduates who get good grades from good schools but no experience are a dime a dozen (not trying to be a dick). Do some soul searching to find out exactly what you want to do then research that industry and get yourself in. You have an advantage because you live in such a populated area so you have pretty much every industry represented within ~1 hour of where you live. Good luck man. I'm a recent college grad (June 09') and just started at a great company and really enjoying it, however, I went to probably 20+ interviews and meetings and sent my resume to 300+ ADs. It took me a while but it is possible for recent grads to find work in today's environment.

Any job related to your field of study is a blessing in this economy, there are UCLA and USC grads out of work right now... not even to say UC Irvine, UCSD, Pepperdime, LMU, Cal State LB/Fullerton and other Socal schools that have equal or greater prestige.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you got an offer but didn't you work internships, summer or part time jobs before to find out what fields interest you or what facets of work motivate you? You don't want to be the bloke who says I just want a cubicle and wear a suit and tie to work.

If it helps I was out of work for 9 months after graduating. I got an offer doing a contract 3 month assignment that turned into 8 years into middle management with a stint in Europe. I certainly didn't know how deep the rabbit hole was when I accepted.

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
buh. all the internships i've applied to i haven't heard back from and all the jobs told me i don't have enough experience. these are entry level jobs. really? >_<

fiasco

Reaction score
Update (If anyone cares):

I got offered a job as a personal banker at BofA and I accepted
satisfied.gif

Banking was one of the fields I was hoping to get into so I am pretty excited.

It's not much but its a start and a lot more then I was making before.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fiasco
Update (If anyone cares):

I got offered a job as a personal banker at BofA and I accepted
satisfied.gif

Banking was one of the fields I was hoping to get into so I am pretty excited.

It's not much but its a start and a lot more then I was making before.

Congrats. I wish you luck in banking

rexthedestroyer

Reaction score
Not to be a dick ( I was unemployed 9 months when I first moved to SoCal), but aren't those personal banker gigs glorified telemarketers? You'll be in a cubicle cold calling retires to see if they want to invest in whatever you are peddling.

Good luck with that one.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rexthedestroyer
Not to be a dick ( I was unemployed 9 months when I first moved to SoCal), but aren't those personal banker gigs glorified telemarketers? You'll be in a cubicle cold calling retires to see if they want to invest in whatever you are peddling.

Good luck with that one.

To paraphrase the above poster:

"Not to be a dick, but I'm going to be a dick to you".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads