• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone here have an iPad? ...

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Does it have much of a size advantage to the 11" MacBook? I mean, the thing is 1/10th of an inch think at it's narrowest point, so besides the flip up screen, not sure the size advantage is a big one. Also, I think the battery lives between the two are pretty close, with maybe a slight advantage to the iPad.

Size-wise, I dunno. I've yet to handle the new Mac Book. Tech specs say it's abut the same weight as my old TZ150, which is fairly light, but I've forgotten the iPad a couple of times because I didn't notice the weight difference in my briefcase; I've got heavier magazines in there.

The 11" Mac Book is quoted at 5 hours of battery life. The battery life of the iPad is 10 hours running full out (video, gaming, online, etc) - I've gotten 12 hours from it when just reading books with music in the background, and people have reported getting 14 hours. This adds lightness since I don't have to take the adapter anywhere unless I'm going on a trip.

But if you do a LOT of work - yep, stick with a laptop. I do more media consumption than production, so the iPad works for me, especially now that Splashtop lets me throw together a quick Word of Excel document and send it to the office.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epb

But if you do a LOT of work - yep, stick with a laptop. I do more media consumption than production, so the iPad works for me, especially now that Splashtop lets me throw together a quick Word of Excel document and send it to the office.

+1. Great for consumption, not so much for production.

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
+1. Great for consumption, not so much for production.

That said, computers are like cars or guns - people always want way more power than they actually need. Between my home system and work, it's rare I'm away from a computer capable of producing work when I need to. And when I do, the iPad's been enough to get by. But everyone's convinced themselves they're driving the Nurburgring and hacking the Pentagon and need an AK47 for deer, etc...

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Went with the 13" MacBook Air. Liking it a lot so far, although I don't think I'll go to the hassle of migrating my iTunes over to it from my PC..

bunnyoswaldo

Reaction score
The only people I know with Ipads are 100% total douche bags......is there a special DB app that comes with them?

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bunnyoswaldo
The only people I know with Ipads are 100% total douche bags......is there a special DB app that comes with them?

So the device is very popular in your high school?
sarcasm.gif

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Migrating is a PITA, but worth it, gnat.

Thanks, you are probably right. Is this as simple as backing up my iTunes to external storage and then using iTunes on the laptop to transfer the files over?

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
having an ipad as a supplement or just for fun or even for using on the john is fine

using it as your sole computer is just not smart

Edit: Full disclosure i have one and use it on my john daily

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Thanks, you are probably right. Is this as simple as backing up my iTunes to external storage and then using iTunes on the laptop to transfer the files over?

I did it with a firewire when I got my MBP last year, but that took forever. Your way is probably faster, yeah.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some thoughts on the iPad after a few months of use: it's great, but I want more. I want more storage and with 4.2, I want more memory and more CPU. Cameras and other various rumored features? Maybe, but the current feature set is pretty darn good for my use.

I got the 64 GB 3G model, and I have yet to activate the 3G, but I've almost filled up the whole thing. Mainly it's carrying around my music library, and movies I've ripped. Music is a mix of MP3 and AAC, and takes about 30 GB --- I wish I could put the lossless versions on the iPad, but that would double the storage.

Movies are a mix of ripped DVDs and BluRays. DVDs are about 1GB for 2 hours, and BDs are about 5 GB for 2 hours for the Handbrake settings that I use, so they eat up storage very quickly.

Memory is a bigger issue for me: the web browser often has to reload pages when you switch between different browser windows because it doesn't have enough memory to cache what it's loaded already. It's a PITA if you're using the Google RSS reader, and you click on an article to go to that website, and switch back to the Google RSS.

Picture heavy pages (like some of the SF picture posts) can also be sluggish in loading, and often won't load some pictures. I know memory is an issue because my iPhone 4 can load and hold in cache more pages with more pictures than the iPad, and the iPhone has 512 MB of memory compared to the iPad's 256 MB.

The CPU I've noticed is taxed especially when multitasking, and when you have a large media library. I've been seeing more lags recently after 4.2, and I'm not sure if that's related. I know people have been claiming that 4.2 makes their iPad faster, but it's made mine a bit sluggish.

I also don't like how they've moved the orientation lock switch away from the side to the screen. The mute switch also doesn't behave very logically --- it makes sense for a phone because you want to mute your phone's ring, but it doesn't make sense for a tablet computer.

Anyway, I'm hoping for a doubling of everything when they release the next gen iPad. More storage and memory alone would make it a compelling upgrade for me.

--Andre

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^agreed on need for more boosts especially mem and speed

yeah i use it alot more than i thought i would

but mostly for games and killing time. viewing sites like SF, news, blogs are easy enough.

any work related stuff is still solely on my MBP

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member