• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anthony Sinclair

dbc

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the men behind the conduit cut?

Any idea how much their suits go for these days?

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dbc
Anyone have any experience with the men behind the conduit cut?

Any idea how much their suits go for these days?

An actual Sinclair customer would be 70+. Ask Sean Connery!

I believe that Mr. Sinclair retired by the early 1970's. Mr. Sinclair died quite a long time ago.

I was doing some research, and I came across the following website: http://anthonysinclair.com/index.html

I have no idea if it is a spoof or for real. If this is a real tailoring firm, then its style is based on the classics worn by Sean Connery.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark Seitelman
An actual Sinclair customer would be 70+. Ask Sean Connery! I believe that Mr. Sinclair retired by the early 1970's. Mr. Sinclair died quite a long time ago. I was doing some research, and I came across the following website: http://anthonysinclair.com/index.html I have no idea if it is a spoof or for real. If this is a real tailoring firm, then its style is based on the classics worn by Sean Connery.
I doubt its the site of a real tailor. A real tailor wouldn't base his website on James Bond and would only mention it in passing. It dates the site to the release date of Dr. No. However, the mention of a phone number and location is interesting. The location is 12 Savile Row, which of course wasn't the site of Anthony Sinclair. And any tailor that bases everything off of James Bond would not be on Savile Row. A real tailor would know what the word "cut" means in reference to a suit and wouldn't be describing fabrics as part of the "cut." It also describes the cut as "a classic Savile Row 'waisted' single-breasted, two-button coat, with slimline trousers." Connery's suits were more relaxed than the classic Savile Row cut and his trousers weren't really all that slim. They had a clean cut but not a slim cut. On another page it describes the suit as having narrow shoulders, whilst Connery's suits had extended shoulders. And the site attributes the cocktail cuff to Anthony Sinclair. As most people know it came from Turnbull & Asser, and I doubt Anthony Sinclair made shirts. The site appears to just be a site about James Bond's clothing done in a creative way. Does anyone know who actually coin the term "Conduit Cut"? Is it just an internet thing?

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
I doubt its the site of a real tailor. A real tailor wouldn't base his website on James Bond and would only mention it in passing. It dates the site to the release date of Dr. No. However, the mention of a phone number and location is interesting. The location is 12 Savile Row, which of course wasn't the site of Anthony Sinclair. And any tailor that bases everything off of James Bond would not be on Savile Row. A real tailor would know what the word "cut" means in reference to a suit and wouldn't be describing fabrics as part of the "cut." It also describes the cut as "a classic Savile Row 'waisted' single-breasted, two-button coat, with slimline trousers." Connery's suits were more relaxed than the classic Savile Row cut and his trousers weren't really all that slim. They had a clean cut but not a slim cut. On another page it describes the suit as having narrow shoulders, whilst Connery's suits had extended shoulders. And the site attributes the cocktail cuff to Anthony Sinclair. As most people know it came from Turnbull & Asser, and I doubt Anthony Sinclair made shirts. The site appears to just be a site about James Bond's clothing done in a creative way. Does anyone know who actually coin the term "Conduit Cut"? Is it just an internet thing?
No, it pre-dates the internet. I think it was just the name given to it to distinguish it from the Savile Row 'cut' I've also heard it referred to as New-Edwardian by some tailors. I doubt you'll find out who originally coined the term.

London Banker

Reaction score
I realize this is an old thread, but, the "Conduit Cut" refers to Anthony Sinclair's house cut and the location of his shop premises on Conduit Street (near Savile Row.)

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buermen