• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

American Pickers

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
I watch every episode of Pawn Stars, but I don't regularly watch American Pickers. The difference is Pawn Stars has cool items 100% of the time (buried treasure, nuke keys, rare guns, etc), where as American Pickers is overwhelmingly stuff I'd literally throw in the trash can if I owned. There are some cool things on American Picker, like the old guy who built an underground house for all his junk, but for the most part I have no interest at all in the stuff they buy or the people they talk to.

I agree with this and also the assessment that the American Pickers guys are douchebags.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I'm sensing some pretty strong sexual tension between the Pickers dudes.

Perhaps. One does have a cat, you know.

Millerp

Reaction score
I'm sure Mike and Frank's expenses on the road are picked up
by the history channel and they are probably being paid a hefty
"salary" by the history channel too.

They have to be followed closely by a production crew as well - at least
one camera man, sound man, lighting man and a director. Maybe even a helicopter
to get those overhead road shots.

I don't think it's as spontaneous. as it appears

Same with Pawn Stars --and Chumlee can't possibly be that dumb

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I watched an episode of American Pickers last night. They were in Kansas, probably El Dorado since the old theater was named that. This show was the most extreme example of what doesn't make sense about American Pickers. The seller had tons of interesting stuff which could have been resold. He was motivated and was selling stuff pretty cheap.

So why didn't the pickers buy more stuff? They always buy maybe 4 to 8 items, and in many cases the projected profits will not cover expenses if you include a living salary for the 3 employees of the business. Last night they made money since I think they will make a good profit on the Harley, but why not buy more when they get into a profitable situation?

"OK, we bought a few things, had fun, and really like the sellers. Now let's leave this target rich environment and get on the road."

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Smith
So why didn't the pickers buy more stuff? They always buy maybe 4 to 8 items, and in many cases the projected profits will not cover expenses if you include a living salary for the 3 employees of the business. Last night they made money since I think they will make a good profit on the Harley, but why not buy more when they get into a profitable situation?

They have more places to go. Why spend all your money on one stop when your next stop might have even more valuble things.

JBG

Reaction score
I watched an episode of American Pickers last night. They were in Kansas, probably El Dorado since the old theater was named that. This show was the most extreme example of what doesn't make sense about American Pickers. The seller had tons of interesting stuff which could have been resold. He was motivated and was selling stuff pretty cheap.

"OK, we bought a few things, had fun, and really like the sellers. Now let's leave this target rich environment and get on the road."

I agree with you and others that just the few items that they pick on the show will in no way even cover their travel expenses, let alone employee salaries, building overhead, etc. - I suspect they pick a lot more than what is actually shown on the show - they only show the more unusual items (like that freaky stuffed miniature horse they picked in last night's show) and people/places.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jokerman
They have more places to go. Why spend all your money on one stop when your next stop might have even more valuble things.

Jokerman, I am guessing that you are not in Kenan-Flagler.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I'm sensing some pretty strong sexual tension between the Pickers dudes.
Are you getting a clue?
wbtb4m.jpg

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why you guys think Mike and Frank are douchebags. They're entertaining and trying to make a buck digging through junk. Sure they get like giddy high school chicks some times when there's a good find, but I really don't understand what would make them douches.

As for what they make, it's pure speculation. I'm sure prior to the History channel picking the show up, they made enough to get by while doing something they loved. While us on the forum will gladly drop $500 sportcoat, that $500 on one "big find" will go a long way for a couple of boys living in Iowa. So if they are able to net a few thousand a month, I'm sure they consider themselves successful enough. Plus, they are self-proclaimed cheapos, and they aren't extravagant by any means.

Now with History channel, I'm sure they are getting paid on a per-show basis. $10K per episode for the first season may be par for the course, with that doubling for the second season.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jokerman, I am guessing that you are not in Kenan-Flagler.

Nope I despise everything about unc/chapel hill and thankfully moving.

word

Reaction score

Halfa the old dudes they pick from start gettin' pissed off at them being all excited over their prized junk collections. They duck out before they've worn out the welcome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads