• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alternative fibers

rjsphd

Reaction score
I have noticed a few jackets online that have either bamboo or abaca as their primary fiber. What is your experience with these materials vis-a-vis wool, linen or silk? How do they hold their shape, wrinkle, clean, feel, etc.?

gj555

Reaction score
Same question here.

I was at my tailor today getting fitted for a MTM suit and he had on display a jacket he made for himself in bamboo. Nice texture and pattern and it seemed light weight but no idea how it would hold up and wear.

Icehawk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gj555
Same question here.

I was at my tailor today getting fitted for a MTM suit and he had on display a jacket he made for himself in bamboo. Nice texture and pattern and it seemed light weight but no idea how it would hold up and wear.

From what I understand most "bamboo" isn't actually bamboo fiber the way we think of it but instead is poly made from bamboo materials. A search on bamboo fiber will probably turn up a couple of good threads/posts. I have a hemp safari jacket/SC and love that material, was kinda surprised when I saw what it was made of as I assumed it was just a really soft cotton.

jackdaw

Reaction score
Yoox has a number of Boglioli S/S blazers listed in abaca and abaca/wool blends. All I could find out is that abaca is also called Manila hemp and that it's fine fibers from a banana species grown for fiber used in Manila rope. Jackets looked nice, but you can't tell much from Yoox photography.

tgt465

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icehawk
From what I understand most "bamboo" isn't actually bamboo fiber the way we think of it but instead is poly made from bamboo materials.

Actually bamboo gets turned into rayon, not polyester. I don't own anything rayon, except some jackets with rayon (Bemberg) linings, which I feel are rather good quality, soft and seem to breathe well.

Icehawk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tgt465
Actually bamboo gets turned into rayon, not polyester. I don't own anything rayon, except some jackets with rayon (Bemberg) linings, which I feel are rather good quality, soft and seem to breathe well.

Thanks - I knew it was a synthetic at least
smile.gif

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I had a pair of levis dockers made from some sort of coconut fibre. They were like polyester. Held a crease very well, didn't wrinkle and were washable and didn't shrink but were shiny, sweaty and didn't last well. I don't see them for sale any more so I suspect they were a failed experiment.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bamboo has the character of cotton, but feels lighter - almost more so than linen. The material is good at wicking sweat away from your body, which makes it nice for hot days.

You sometimes also see it added to linen in order to reduce its tendency to hold sharp wrinkles.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ffwe