• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

altering leather jacket --edit

housemaidsknee

Reaction score
at work, we gifted a colleague a leather jacket. here it is: Mark New York Leather Jacket at bluefly.com now the problem is that it is too big for him - can we get it altered? it is an inch too long, two inches too big on the shoulders and four inches too big across the chest - basically he is skinny and short. can a good tailor alter it? is there any other comparable jackets under 500 dollars that we can get him? he's skinny and 5'6". basically a 36S or 38S size and slim cut. please help.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
That sounds like too much alteration to be worth it. I see similar Andrew marc jackets at Nordstrom Rack every time I go there for a few hundred. I would just get a different one.

housemaidsknee

Reaction score
That sounds like too much alteration to be worth it. I see similar Andrew marc jackets at Nordstrom Rack every time I go there for a few hundred. I would just get a different one.
i thought it was not worth the trouble either. but then we couldn't find a slim cut one (all the small sizes were pretty much the same size). i actually went shopping with a tape measure. someone point me to a slimmer/smaller jacket please. thanks.

housemaidsknee

Reaction score
You could probably find a jacket for him in a youth/ boys dept. -
we thought of that - but he is a senior colleague at work. if somehow he found out, he might be offended. what to do?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know much about designer leather jackets, and the one you picked for him is lambskin, but you could always try Vanson Leathers or Schott NYC (look them up on the web). They make real motorcycle gear and "fashion" jackets as well, and some of them come in softer leather and many in inch chest sizes, so you'd be more likely to find one that fits. Try a search here too if you haven't already, I'm sure the subject has come up before.

housemaidsknee

Reaction score
so putting darts in a leather jacket is not an option? is it even possible?

ok - i'll give it up. someome point me to a soft leather jacket in smaller sizes.

the Schott NYC and Vanson Leathers jackets seem to be harder tougher leather. wanted something in soft leather.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forget about Andrew Marc, whose sizes are notoriously... forgiving. If you are determined to go the Bluefly route, go with Lot 78, which is a pretty new brand out of Italy, and way cooler too (if the guy likes a younger style, of course. Otherwise, it won't work.) Of reasonably priced designers (especially with the Euro) go with DKNY - the have the slimmest cuts of the American diffusion lines.

housemaidsknee

Reaction score
Forget about Andrew Marc, whose sizes are notoriously... forgiving.  If you are determined to go the Bluefly route, go with Lot 78, which is a pretty new brand out of Italy, and way cooler too (if the guy likes a younger style, of course.  Otherwise, it won't work.)  Of reasonably priced designers (especially with the Euro) go with DKNY - the have the slimmest cuts of the American diffusion lines.
not necessary to go the bluefly route - just more convenient. thanks for the reply LAGuy. will look into those.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads