• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALTERATIONS Tailor in SAN FRANCISCO

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my two pants back from Georges, pleasantly surprised, chinos and slacks hemmed and tapered - pretty satisfied. Also gave him an old sports coat for rescue and commissioned one bespoke shirt today (ETA 3-4) weeks. $155 for the shirt seems reasonable...

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice to hear about Georgas; I’ve had many successful alterations from him. If you’re interested in shirts, I think @dieworkwear mentioned in the SF Trunkshow thread that Ascot Chang will be in town shortly. Also, 100 Hands may be coming to San Francisco next year, and Made With Hart is a guy out of Stockholm that can help with measurements online and has his shirts made in India with options of 100 Hands-level handwork. Enjoy the process with Andreas and remember that the first shirt should fit well, but will probably need some tweaks. Even though I was measured directly by Akshat of 100 Hands, my first shirt wasn’t perfect (but pretty close).

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice to hear about Georgas; I’ve had many successful alterations from him. If you’re interested in shirts, I think @dieworkwear mentioned in the SF Trunkshow thread that Ascot Chang will be in town shortly. Also, 100 Hands may be coming to San Francisco next year, and Made With Hart is a guy out of Stockholm that can help with measurements online and has his shirts made in India with options of 100 Hands-level handwork. Enjoy the process with Andreas and remember that the first shirt should fit well, but will probably need some tweaks. Even though I was measured directly by Akshat of 100 Hands, my first shirt wasn’t perfect (but pretty close).
Yes was considering Ascot Chang but the long wait and the fact that I have to order 3 shirts kind of turned me off, even though they have a great reputation, I have the same problem with Turnbull & Asses, I think they want 4 shirts for first order. Since $150 is really not bad at all and it will be done in 3-4 weeks I will give it a try with Andreas and see what happens. Will definitely check out your other recommendations.
Any experience/ ever heard of Anna Matuozzo Napoli? https://annamatuozzo.com/en/bespoke/ I really like the look of the fabrics.

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes was considering Ascot Chang but the long wait and the fact that I have to order 3 shirts kind of turned me off, even though they have a great reputation, I have the same problem with Turnbull & Asses, I think they want 4 shirts for first order. Since $150 is really not bad at all and it will be done in 3-4 weeks I will give it a try with Andreas and see what happens. Will definitely check out your other recommendations.
Any experience/ ever heard of Anna Matuozzo Napoli? https://annamatuozzo.com/en/bespoke/ I really like the look of the fabrics.

LOL in regard to, "Turnbull and Asses", 4 shirts for a first order does seem like a load of bullsh*t. I think I'd go with Asscot Chang. ;)

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL in regard to, "Turnbull and Asses", 4 shirts for a first order does seem like a load of bullsh*t. I think I'd go with Asscot Chang. ;)
LOL just noticed this my subconscious must have wrote this...

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t have any personal experience, but gusvs9 uses them quite a bit. Handwork is clean, not as fine as 100 Hands, and they cost more, but Gustav says they’re incredibly consistent and gives them high praise.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anna Matuozzo's shirts are highly regarded, but I think the pricing is at least 3X what you're paying at A. George's. Also not sure Matuozzo will do remote orders...

You may want to pay a visit to Kahki's in Carmel who carries Finamore and will do MTM. I have a number of RTW Finamore and they are superb shirts.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may want to pay a visit to Kahki's in Carmel who carries Finamore and will do MTM. I have a number of RTW Finamore and they are superb shirts.
Well, it seems Kahkis no longer carries Finamore. I swear I saw some there a couple years ago.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
you have to order multiple shirts because of the labor involved in making your pattern. nothing wrong with mtm shirts, but if you can order only one shirt, and the price isn't astronomical, it's likely it's mtm and not bespoke. you may be able to get a good fit, but often times, small things such as asymmetric shoulder slope can't be accounted for in mtm.

matuozzo's shirts are like $750 - $1k a piece and she's only available in naples.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you have to order multiple shirts because of the labor involved in making your pattern. nothing wrong with mtm shirts, but if you can order only one shirt, and the price isn't astronomical, it's likely it's mtm and not bespoke. you may be able to get a good fit, but often times, small things such as asymmetric shoulder slope can't be accounted for in mtm.

matuozzo's shirts are like $750 - $1k a piece and she's only available in naples.
Ok, that is just too much for me... But appreciate you pointing out the difference between MTM and bespoke shirts with actual details, was kind of wondering about that. Richard Anderson on the other hand said they will only make you one bespoke shirt for your first order no matter what to make sure the fit is correct, so we will see how that comes out - but that's already pretty pricey at $450 for a regular royal oxford fabric.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick follow up: so finally found time to post a pic of my shirt from Andreas Gorges. Apparently they just take the measurements and have some shirt-maker elsewhere make it (but in the US). Fit is great, material not particularly impressed (forgot name of fabric) but looks pretty good for $135 including tax. I inquired about getting better fabrics but price quickly goes up to British bespoke level - think turnbull & asser etc... I don't think I would pay $500 for a shirt if it is made by some random factory no matter what the fabic is (maybe I need all the bells and whistles and name brand)... Overall great experience though with mtm shirt (even though they called it bespoke) and pants tapered and hemmed. Would definitely recommend based on my experience- also super friendly.

Attachments

• IMG-0006.JPG
    IMG-0006.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 209

noobanker

Reaction score
I had very bad luck w/ Georges probably 15+ years ago.
At the time he evidently did not know how to lower a trouser
waistband properly. Pants un wearable as a result.

My current tailor is a virtuoso and endorsed many other SF members.
But alas, he is in Menlo Park.

Who is your tailor in Menlo Park?

[edit] NVM, it was Bob

Last edited:

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wondering if you may have any insight into this: yesterday I took a suit jacket to Tailor's Keep for a fairly complex alteration, (credit is certainly due to your great SF article on major deconstruction/reconstruction they did for your suits) and they mentioned to me they do not think Andreas Georges does full bespoke suits, although my impression is that Georges promotes this service? Do they take measurements and then send out for MTM from another maker?

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wondering if you may have any insight into this: yesterday I took a suit jacket to Tailor's Keep for a fairly complex alteration, (credit is certainly due to your great SF article on major deconstruction/reconstruction they did for your suits) and they mentioned to me they do not think Andreas Georges does full bespoke suits, although my impression is that Georges promotes this service? Do they take measurements and then send out for MTM from another maker?
Not sure about suits but that is definitely true for their shirts. At first I was told it's bespoke but in reality it's basic MTM after further digging into the topic with George's son.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure about suits but that is definitely true for their shirts. At first I was told it's bespoke but in reality it's basic MTM after further digging into the topic with George's son.

Oh yes, when asked they told me they do not make their shirts in-house.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads