• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alterations Tailor in Melbourne

RickyF

Reaction score
I've got a pair of dress pants that I really like but think they are a little baggy, classic fit but I wear slim fitting pants usually. The waist size is perfect. How easy is it for them to be altered? What is that likely to cost at one of the places mentioned in this thread like Katrina's?

denimhunter

Reaction score
There is a tailor on Russell St (level 3, 126 Russell St) near the corner with little collins st. her name is anna I think and she is russian. very good work. She does work for high end boutique like Kenzo, Gucci etc. Had a jacket taken in before very good work

Sinister

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a suit jacket that I need the sleeves shortened on by about 3cm. If they're shortened from the ends the bottom 2 buttons will need to be moved and then the unused button holes will be visible which I don't like the idea of. Can sleeves be shortened from the shoulder? How much would that cost in Australia?

From searching this forum I think I'll try Katrina's in Liverpool Street. Is that a recommended place for a job like this?

Cheers!

Tarlee

Reaction score
Sure, try Katrina's. They're good.

And yes it can be done from the shoulder. I'd guess $80-100.

Sinister

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarlee
Sure, try Katrina's. They're good.

And yes it can be done from the shoulder. I'd guess $80-100.

Cheers Tarlee. I need to get this done within a week, so if the wait at Katrina's is too long, do you know anywhere else close by in the conservative business dress that is worth trying?

Tarlee

Reaction score
I was pleased with the work done by the tailor under Narau house. I forget the boss's name but his 2IC Olga is a stout Russian woman with that no-fuss touch that makes you feel confident that she knows what she's doing. Wait was one week for cuff lengthened and sides of jacket tapered. I expect they would do it quicker if time's an issue.

aldordor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ricotta
Katrina's is great. i just had half a dozen shirts taken in at the waist (side seams, darts), and expect to do another half dozen there.

May I ask how much did it cost you (or anyone, in this matter) to have those shirts taken in? I'm also looking to do the same for a couple of my shirts. Thanks in advance! Been looking for a reasonably good tailor in melbourne from sometime now..

Stumbled upon this thread in my research for a good tailor around Melbourne from Google. Great thread, indeed! It's cool that Melbournians are keeping it real down here at SF.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aldordor
May I ask how much did it cost you (or anyone, in this matter) to have those shirts taken in? I'm also looking to do the same for a couple of my shirts. Thanks in advance! Been looking for a reasonably good tailor in melbourne from sometime now..

Stumbled upon this thread in my research for a good tailor around Melbourne from Google. Great thread, indeed! It's cool that Melbournians are keeping it real down here at SF.

About a fortnight ago I got some darts put in a shirt for $14 from memory. I am sure if you take in a few you'd get a fair discount.

aldordor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar
About a fortnight ago I got some darts put in a shirt for $14 from memory. I am sure if you take in a few you'd get a fair discount.
Much appreciated. Will definitely be checking the place out and see how I go. Any experience on the altering of jackets and coats? Recently thrifted a plaid flannel coat that would definitely need to be taken in on its arm hole and side seams.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
I have nothing but good things to say, same with other Melbourne based members. Flick through the Australian Members thread for more endorsements.

journal

Reaction score
Same here. Any recent impressions of Katrina's? I have a suit jacket needing slight alterations and the pants need hemming, taking in and tapering.

pasey25

Reaction score
i've used them for a couple of things this year. they've been pretty good. not cheap though. couple of things I've had them adjust but the workmanship has been fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads