• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alligator belts - quality, makers, construction, etc

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

my santoni tubo gator with a custom sterling buckle.

jcep

Reaction score
Thank you all for sharing your findings. I like the look of this buckle and strap and was wondering how viable it would be to get something similar under 600? Would those that have been researching extensively be able to tell me if they've come across a similar buckle or strap? I have seen the Tiffany buckles but they somehow seem dressier to me and I will be using this with Chelsea boots in a way similar to how it is shown in the Ralph lauren black label catalogues. http://m.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=23500066&ab=GeoMobile_iUS_rUS_dUS

OREO

Reaction score

I'v got this belt in chestnut, its Australian saltwater crocodile by RM William, It cost me around 300$. Its big, wide and awesome. I wear it to the office and everywhere else. Quality is excellent. Towards the buckle you have the crocodile 'horns' and the buckle is shiny. I would highly recommend but i know it may not be elegant enough to be used in formal wear for some people.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Thank you all for sharing your findings. I like the look of this buckle and strap and was wondering how viable it would be to get something similar under 600? Would those that have been researching extensively be able to tell me if they've come across a similar buckle or strap? I have seen the Tiffany buckles but they somehow seem dressier to me and I will be using this with Chelsea boots in a way similar to how it is shown in the Ralph lauren black label catalogues. http://m.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=23500066&ab=GeoMobile_iUS_rUS_dUS

We've worked with both the Tiffany and RL versions of this buckle style and the Tiffany one is streets ahead in quality, much nicer object

HTH!

Charlie

LucasFilms

Reaction score
I bring this to the top again because I am looking for a crocodile leather belt. I found these three stores through google. What do you guys think of them?

http://www.torinoleather.com/category4.asp?id=1

http://leatheroftheworld.com/leathe...qlmlaejPOhnLW9KWYmhok-TDOUHIWl922oRoCyazw_wcB

http://www.exoticleather.biz/exotic_leather_belts.htm

The belt I really liked is this one, but it is over EUR 3.000 so there is no way I am going to buy it:

http://www.berluti.com/en/collections/leather/belts/prisme-35mm-crocodile-leather#.VLZ8zHsYGYk

http://www.berluti.com/en/collections/leather/belts/saturnin-35mm-crocodile-leather#.VLZ843sYGYk

could you recommend a place to buy a nice crocodile leather belt that is nice but a lot cheaper than Berluti? :)

Last edited:

Diesel152

Reaction score
Like any other retailer or high-end merchandise, "you get what you pay for." Some of the big name retailers will charge tons of money for a belt or wallet that LOOKS genuine and authentic. Make sure you do your research and make sure that you're buying 100% Genuine American Alligator skin products. Many of the big companies will put in the fine print "Alligator Print" or "Alligator Embossed". Another thing to look out for are the amount of splices made on each belt. Most companies won't waste too much time making one-piece belts anymore. Instead they will splice together anywhere from 3-6 different pieces together (sometimes from different hides) and make one belt out of it. If you are willing to spend a few hundred dollars on a belt, make sure you have as few splices as possible before you buy them or they may not last as long as you'd like.

One of the best men's accessory purchases I've made was through Edgemon Crockett. These guys are the real deal. Tom Edgemon and his son started their own company and make every single product from 100% Genuine American Alligator skin by hand. I bought a one-piece genuine American alligator skin belt from EC about 5 years ago and oddly enough this thing has only become better looking. I wear it everyday and no matter how much I sweat or beat this thing up, it still looks brand new. I'm so happy with my belt, I decided to buy a matching cognac wallet and one-piece belt for my father's birthday - turns out they were cut from the same hide! If you're looking for the best quality for your dollar, check these guys out - promise you won't be disappointed. Also - for the gator-lovers, they make some awesome hornback belts (which I also broke down and bought)!

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a Hornback Alligator belt made by W. Kleinberg. I especially like it's matt finish and neutral taupe color which pair nicely with jeans, gray flannels and just about any earth tones.

Kleinberg makes beautiful belts and will make just about anything custom for you. Most of their retailers offer the custom program. This one I bought from @khakisofcarmel

Threeputt

Reaction score

Here is a Hornback Alligator belt made by W. Kleinberg. I especially like it's matt finish and neutral taupe color which pair nicely with jeans, gray flannels and just about any earth tones.

Kleinberg makes beautiful belts and will make just about anything custom for you. Most of their retailers offer the custom program. This one I bought from @khakisofcarmel

+1. Finest belts I own. The store in Buckhead (Atlanta) is a pleasure to visit (although I think they are moving or renovating currently).. SAs do a great job in customs. They recently made me a burgundy gator belt with silver tips and keepers that I can remove when I want to tone it down a bit. And the ostrich leg belts are a great price to quality value. I found these belts to be great complements for shell shoes.

kleinberg's quality really is quite good. From the leathers to the edge finishing to the leather backings. Love em

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads