• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmond loafers, dark blue jeans but which color polo shirt

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not feeling this idea for an outfit. Personally would just lurk on the forum for a while. And Instagram. Save photos of outfits you like and then work towards an aesthetic.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's generally better to attach photos rather than retailer links, which can expire or, for those of us living overseas, be impossible to open. That said, I switched to a US VPN and looked at the shirts. You didn't say the color of your loafers but I prefer the reddish shirt (fuchsia?) with dark brown loafers, if that's what you have. The white one might look better with traditional white sneakers.

Either look would not be particularly "curated," which could be what Derek is getting at in his comment above. The sharp loafers and dark jeans at least keep it from looking Normcore/Dadwear, but you might consider going for a denim-on-denim look--say, a light indigo-dyed denim or chambray work shirt. Check out the MTM denim offerings on Proper Cloth. Another option would be to look around for a vintage Levi's denim shirt with flap pockets and snap buttons. Every vintage shop in Italy has racks full of them; they must be available in the States where they were actually made (those were the days). Good luck.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve always found a discord between wearing a polo shirt with denim. Obviously this is not a universal concern, but I’ve always thought of denim as being a bit on the heavy side. A polo, in my opinion, looks better with a light weight cotton chino.

Also, the ideal of paying $495 for something make in Turkey is insane. I suppose it’s no different than the prices Burberry charged for items made in China.

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
I agree that the polo/loafer combination would work better with classic cut chinos rather than denim. It will give a more unified look. If you want to wear your Aldens with denim, I think it would look better with a button-down shirt in heavier oxford cloth or linnen.

And while you didn't ask about it, I'm going to agree that those polos seem extremely overpriced. You're paying for the name, and the name is being attached in a low-cost factory in Turkey. You could be buying cashmere-silk polos from Colhays (made in-house in Scotland https://colhays.com/collections/cashmere-silk) or Luca Faloni (made in Italy https://lucafaloni.com/collections/fine-silk-cashmere-polos/products/oatmeal-fine-silk-cashmere-polo) at less. Zegna makes some nice products, but there's lots of smaller manufacturers that will turn out higher-quality at better prices. The big luxury brands will always upcharge you for the brand name.

HCapLonghorn

Reaction score
black loafers with jeans seems a bit strange as the color is more formal. maybe with horse bit detail it could work, but not aldens. agree an OCBD would make more sense than a polo.

David Yanez

Reaction score
black loafers with jeans seems a bit strange as the color is more formal. maybe with horse bit detail it could work, but not aldens. agree an OCBD would make more sense than a polo.
I'm tired of wearing black chelsea boots with dark, black jeans and want something more comfortable which is why I bought Allen Edmonds Randolph in black. I don't want to wear sneakers with jeans so loafers seem like a safe bet. Don't like the look of the horse bit.

I don't mind wearing polos with jeans even though some people don't like the look. Do you know which color polo works best for dark jeans?

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
The Randolph seems to be a moc-toe, which is a fairly informal loafer, so I wouldn't worry that the color will make it too much of a formal shoe. With dark denim it should be fine for most people - hardcore clothing nerds might be the exception. As for polo color, I imagine grey or white would be best - cold, fairly formal colors to go with the black and dark denim.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black loafers with jeans and a polo shirt seem extremely dadwear
In my imagination the “dark” jeans are selvedge indigo but maybe not? I think of dadwear as more pre-washed jeans and clunky sneakers, not Japanese denim and Alden loafers. But everybody has their own dadwear issues…

Last edited:

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good! I want to be consider a Zaddy as the girls gone wild type are the ones with Daddy issues.

Honestly, I don’t think you’re going to get many useful recommendations from this site if your goal is to impress girls with your clothes.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I don’t think you’re going to get many useful recommendations from this site if your goal is to impress girls with your clothes.
On the contrary I would argue that impressing others—girls, boys, bosses, potential in-laws, whatever your pleasure—is and has always been a prime motivation for dressing well. Why else would male peacocks (I’m talking about the birds not the Pitti dudes) strut their feathers?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the contrary I would argue that impressing others—girls, boys, bosses, potential in-laws, whatever your pleasure—is and has always been a prime motivation for dressing well. Why else would male peacocks (I’m talking about the birds not the Pitti dudes) strut their feathers?

I don’t disagree with you. But I think most of the advice on this site is not aimed at dressing to impress the type of women OP mentioned.

I think the recommendations here are more likely to express menswear/fashion nerds, not your average woman at a nightclub.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads