• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Airplanes.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1977-06_Caesars_Chariot_by_Arno_Jan.jpg

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
^When I used to get in fights in HS when I was all about Classic Rock against the kids who listened to hip hop and rap I used to say that the true "ballers" were guys like Led Zeppelin who had their own jumbo jet and could give a **** about 3 Bentleys.

While they may have a Gulfstream these days, I think the big celebrities/groups/musicians should cruise around in something big.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spartan Executive

osh05_spartan_executive_1420.jpg

Beech 18

osh05_c-45_1373.jpg

Now all I need is another job (in addition to the one I have)

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the B-36 was cool. I remember a movie featuring one. Anyone remember the title?

Convair_B-36_Peacemaker.jpg

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently had the opportunity to visit the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum's Udvar-Hazy Center after hours for a Smithsonian members event-

b307.jpg

center3.jpg

concorde.jpg

dash80.jpg

enolagay2.jpg

enterprise.jpg

enterprise6.jpg

f4.jpg

fedex.jpg

huey.jpg

mustang.jpg

sr71.jpg

sr714.jpg

sr716.jpg

sr718.jpg

JB

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice work on the Blackbird, JB. Ever been to Wright Pat?

Merckx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
the B-36 was cool. I remember a movie featuring one. Anyone remember the title?

Convair_B-36_Peacemaker.jpg

Not sure if this is the movie you had in mind, but Strategic Air Command with Jimmy Stewart featured B-36s.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Huntsman.

I haven't really done many military bases, the only ones I've gotten so far are Dover and Andrews. Wright-Patterson is high on my list though.

JB

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The golden age of air travel where there's no crowd, stewardesses were gorgeous and in form-fitting uniforms, high crew-to-passenger ratio. There're some vintage planes in action too:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
The golden age of air travel where there's no crowd, stewardesses were gorgeous and in form-fitting uniforms, high crew-to-passenger ratio. There're some vintage planes in action too:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

fixed

And ya JB, the blackbird pic from the rear is really cool. Man did the cold war produce some cool toys...

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my teens I was interested in aeroplanes for a time and yes, I agree I like that DC-3 (also the DC-2), and basically all early civil and passenger airplanes from the late 20s and 30s, also those huge flying boats. Taking off they seem to be flying so slowly and are so chunky that one sometimes wonders that they didn't crash (more often)...

For example:

Sikorsky S-40
s40city.jpg

Martin M-130 (a classic)
60446-004.jpg

Or the Junker Ju52...(no pic. available due to laziness on my part).

Also "Imperial Airways was the early British commercial long range air transport company, operating from 1924 to 1939 and serving parts of Europe but especially the Empire routes to South Africa, India and the Far East."

Ah...where hath adventure and the olde pioneer spirit gone these days...
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads