• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE Strand

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saltricks
I wanted this shoe so bad. I'm gonna go for some burgundy park avenues first however.

You would be better off with a pair of Strands.
I don't think a pair of burgundy PAs will be that versatile.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The strand in walnut is not the most formal shoe by a long shot but it is one of the most versatile shoe that can be worn all year round.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E should have brought back the Stratton instead. Less busy than the Strand:

Originally Posted by Henry Boogers
IMG_4622.jpg

IMG_4624.jpg

Also seen here in what looks like Walnut.

paulson

Reaction score
I just got my AE strand in walnut too. These are my first pair of nice dress shoes so I want to make sure I don't ruin them. I ordered the allen edmonds shoe care kit which came with a leather conditioner and a tin of brown wax polish. Will the brown color polish be too dark for the walnut shoe? If so and I buy a tube of their premium shoe polish which comes in many colors, which color should I get? They have walnut, but some suggested using one shade darker than the actual color of the shoe.

Also, should I condition and shine the shoes before the first wear?

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would use the cleaner/conditioner before polishing. I don't know if you need to do it before you wear them. You can probably wait until you get a few wearings in.

And use the Walnut polish or a shade lighter. I don't like to go darker on my shoes.

When in doubt, I use neutral polish.

The strand is a great shoe. I'm considering the Walnut Strand, but I want to wait and see if they bring out the Shelton in brown/tan like they have rumored.

Chris

CitizenM

Reaction score
Hi furo,

I bouhgt AE recently and find them quite chunky. It looks almost undistructable but is still a very comfortable shoe.

Still, I would not buy it again. I'd rather go for the Loake Strand from their 1880 line. I think it looks more elegant as it looks slightly narrower and pointy. It should be about the same price.

WJR

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
AE should have brought back the Stratton instead. Less busy than the Strand:

Also seen here in what looks like Walnut.

Those are quite nice. What last were they on? I do like the Strand as I am a big fan of the # 5 last as it fits my foot better than most of the others. I do not have a pair of Strands, yet, but have several Park Avenues and Mcallisters.

WJR

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to say that as an avid AE hater I found the Strand to be a very handsome shoe, not blobby at all and the fit & leather were quite nice. If they weren't black I probably would still have them. YMMV

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah.. the SF obsession against 'blobby' shoes. OK, the square toed, ueberblobby things worn by most people are hideous. But that doesn't mean that the further one goes in the other direction, the better.

</rant>

Reaction score
I have had the strand since it was re-released and I still love it. I don't think that it is blobish maybe a little more brute than other shoes but that is okay. It will be going on sale at Nordstrom for their anniversary sale in couple of weeks as well.

ShelterIslandMike

Reaction score
I just picked up the Strand in burnished brown because I thought it would go with more outfits than the walnut. I thought the walnut was a nicer looking shoe - I just didn't see myself wearing it that much. (I'm not a fan of walnut with navy and definitely not grey.) By the way, I've never found the No. 5 last to be clunky. I love my Fifth Avenues and Strand, they fit fine, they look great and they are not in the least bulky. To each his own.

wysiwyg

Reaction score
Color plays a part because AE's welts are so deep. I think black AE's look much clunkier than their brown counterparts, even on the same last.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads