• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly, maybe even these Trickers boot

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE Fit Issues

Zach R

Reaction score
Hi guys-

New to the forum and just caught up on @Neo1 AE last thread- great read! I've been struggling to find a last that works for my bizarre feet as I try to dive into AE. I have a super high arch, normal forefoot, and narrow heel.

I picked up a pair of black Cliftons (108 last) in a 9.5D and the results have been as follows:

Forefoot and length- pretty good, slight pressure (no pain) on the sides but I assume it will go away with normal break in

Arch- could stand to be a bit higher right at the lowest eyelet in the instep but tolerable (and better than most shoes I've worn historically)

Heel- Waaay too wide.

Any thoughts on a similarly higher instep model that might have more of a V fit from forefoot to heel? I was looking at either the 201 or 222 as a starting point but would be curious to get everyone's take on my specific case.

Cheers!

mkmk

Reaction score
It sounds like your foot shape is similar to mine -- high arch and instep, fairly narrow heel, and normal width in the forefoot. I really like the 201 -- it's just about perfect for me (Neumok 2.0, Rogue, First Avenue, etc.).

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't suppose you have an AE storefront near you? Always the best bet in my experience. No amount of internet theorizing can match feet in shoes.

Zach R

Reaction score
I do- I'm in Boston.

Unfortunately they don't stock the 201 in any shoes I'd be interested in. I may give the Rogues a shot off shoebank.

mkmk

Reaction score
I do- I'm in Boston.

Unfortunately they don't stock the 201 in any shoes I'd be interested in. I may give the Rogues a shot off shoebank.

Even if you're not interested in a particular shoe, if it's in the same last, it will likely tell you a lot. Unlined shoes will generally fit a hair looser than calf, and boots fit a bit differently from shoes, but if you try anything in a 201 you should know pretty quickly if the last works for you.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bricks and mortar shop to assess your feet and the suitable of AE lasts. Don't disappointed if none are suitable for you, manufacturers produce products for Mr Average and not Mr Everybody.

ThomGault

Reaction score
I do- I'm in Boston.

If you call the store and give them a week advance notice of some models and sizes you like, they will ship them to your local store for free so you can try them on.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ambrose Hutchinson