• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice needed. Help me round out my vintage outwear collection.

TrendyTrent

Reaction score
Hi all,

First of all, I'd like to give a quick bio. of my style history - so you might better understand my influences and personal tastes; to help you make more informed/relevant suggestions.

Basically, I am in my early twenties and currently studying full-time at university. I would say that my personal style tends to leans towards being more street-wear orientated, with a hint of bohemian flair. For, let us say, the past year and a half - I have been amassing/collecting quite a lot of vintage outerwear. This obsession spurred, albeit only partly, from the realization that I was in fact a grown man: who still dressed very much like a child. i.e. there was no real sense of deliberation in my garment purchases/acquisitions, and many of those choices weren't exactly age appropriate. Think printed tees and cargo shorts... That said, I am/was not entirely uncultured. Decided upon making a conscious effort to dress in a fashion more befitting of a grown man, I quickly found an appreciation for classic men's outerwear and began collecting these timeless garments. Most of my purchases have been inspired by celebrities, actors and musicians of yesteryear. Men I have now come to worship as my own personal style gurus. Men such as: Steve McQueen, James Dean, Marlon Brando, Sean Connery, Jim Morrison etc. etc. Coming from a middle-class background and being brought up in a culture/society that very much promotes, and praises, manly men; I guess I have unknowingly chosen to collect what could be considered "quintessential menswear". Garments generally associated with middle-class manly men throughout recent history.

So, onto the point... I would like to ask your advice on what sorts of garments I might consider to better round out my current wardrobe and improve its versatility.

Also, I am rather new to the idea of man jewellery/accessorizing - but not entirely unreceptive to the concept. If any of you have a suggestion of something particular that might compliment existing garments in my wardrobe, please feel free to chime in.

Here's a list of what's currently in my wardrobe:

Chicago Bulls No.23 Jordan Jersey
McGregor anti-freeze Jacket - red
Pendleton loop Plaid Shirt - red
College Varsity Jacket - red
Lee Padded Ski Vest - red
Levis Small e Chambray Shirt
Wrangler Wrancher Coat
Lee Storm Rider Jacket
Levis Type 2 Big E Jacket
Levis Type 2 cut-off vest
Vietnam MA-1 Flight Jacket
Vietnam M65 Field Jacket
Vietnam field Camo Poplin
Aran wool knit Sweater
Lee Westerner 100j Jacket
Carhartt duck-cloth Chore Jacket
Levis Suede Type 2 Jacket
Aero Leather synch-back Jacket - ochre
Brooks Cafe Racer Jacket - black
Schott Perfecto one-star Jacket - black
Belstaff Trial Master Jacket
USN WW2 Pea Coat - black

Here are some of the items I am currently considering:

Izod Lacoste Beige Barracuta jacket???
Yves Saint Laurent Velvet Smoking Jacket???
Harris Tweed Herringbone Jacket???
Plain Black Waist coat???

Thanks for reading!

TrendyTrent. :slayer:

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

TrendyTrent

Reaction score
Thanks LA guy!

I've got a pair of reasonably nice chukkas from Aquilla, that I wear a lot. Usually, paired with some 501s and my MA-1 a la Steve McQueen.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well done to Fok, you actually read through all that
smile.gif
All that time spent in academia is paying off at last!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks LA guy!

I've got a pair of reasonably nice chukkas from Aquilla, that I wear a lot. Usually, paired with some 501s and my MA-1 a la Steve McQueen.
Welcome. Incidentally, if you use the @ function, you can call out a member so that they get your message.

TrendyTrent

Reaction score
@chobochobo I don't know what you mean? It literally only took me 30 seconds to re-read that entire first post. God help you, should you ever find yourself confronted with a book...

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
That's a pretty wide range of exemplars. And they themselves probably have embraced several style each. Why not find 15-30 outfits from those blokes that really capture the feeling you are going for in what you want to wear?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads