• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A place between truth and overrated

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Self-stripes are gross. I don't care of Rubinacci and Steed join forces after a night of greased up low down lovemaking to tailor it together.

And capri high trousers will get equally ripped apart here.

Fancy patterned shirts worn with a tie and jacket often looks like something a cut rate design student doing an internship at H&M put together. And he got that internship because his uncle knows someone.

(And actually, self-stripes aren't awful, just very 90s. So they may be back at sone point)

Last edited:

Shpirt

Reaction score
Self-stripes are gross. I don't care of Rubinacci and Steed join forces after a night of greased up low down lovemaking to tailor it together.

And capri high trousers will get equally ripped apart here.

Fancy patterned shirts worn with a tie and jacket often looks like something a cut rate design student doing an internship at H&M put together. And he got that internship because his uncle knows someone.

(And actually, self-stripes aren't awful, just very 90s. So they may be back at sone point)

Understood.

I do find that my wardrobe is full of shirts that many here would consider "fancy patterned"... but I like them. Also, I have a terrible affinity for white collar/cuff shirts that people seem to dislike here. But I think they work well for my sense of personal style (for whatever thats worth).

I am, thanks to this forum, making strides to getting more solid color/muted (read: non-metallic/not shiny) ties - so thats a plus.

When, inevitable, self0stripes come back in style, I will be all set lol. Are wide windowpane ok now - or do I have to wait for that to turn around also?

Romans116

Reaction score
I often wear ties with no coat. That is how big of a tool i am i guess. Even though most the population gets to work and takes their coats off.

Seems like the posse can give criticism but can't take any????

Would i like more coats? Sure......but dress shirts without ties look horrible and i prefer not to wear a sweater/polo everyday.

Most of you would call me a waiter if i posted on the boards. But i have never seen a waiter look anything like me before. Ya, i plan to own more coats and over time i will wear them. Until then if i want to wear a funky Ted Baker tie i'll have some fun with it :).

There are some great people here. But maybe some others should recognize their elitist attitudes a little on their own.

ajc2162

Reaction score
Quote:
Caustic Man is absolutely right. The same disingenuous posting is appearing simultaneously elsewhere. What's that 5-letter you guys use occasionally in these circumstances - you know; the one that sounds like "proll"?

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Caustic Man is absolutely right. The same disingenuous posting is appearing simultaneously elsewhere. What's that 5-letter you guys use occasionally in these circumstances - you know; the one that sounds like "proll"?

I don't know what you mean, I don't find his posts droll at all...

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cheers.gif

ajc2162

Reaction score
I’ve just been reading about the Turing Test in Wikapedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_test – that has to do with the development of artificial intelligence.

It’s basically a test of a machine's ability to exhibit intelligent behaviour equivalent to, or indistinguishable from, that of a human.
A human judge engages in natural language conversations with a human and a machine designed to generate performance indistinguishable from that of a human being. The conversation is limited to a text-only channel such as a computer keyboard and screen so that the result is not dependent on the machine's ability to render words into audio.
All participants are separated from one another. If the judge cannot reliably tell the machine from the human, the machine is said to have passed the test. The test does not check the ability to give the correct answer to questions; it checks how closely each answer resembles the answer a human would give

Hang on a moment, you don’t think that maybe we’re being used as live test guinea pigs? …nah, that’s just being silly……

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Often I see threads about how only should buy conservative outfits.

The truth: The most import thing when starting a business wardrobe is buying versatile items. This is great advice, but at what point should people try to acquire some individuality with what they wear vs. being a minion. There is nothing wrong with standing out if you can own it. ...

I guess I didn't find the complete original post to be as offensive as some did, though I have learned from arguing with my wife that saying "always" and "usually" in voicing a criticism when perhaps "sometimes" is more appropriate can lead to bad results.
smile.gif
In other words, I think the instances of noobs asking for advice on building a wardrobe and being steered to very expensive items is overstated. But there are other points fairly made and worthy of discussion.

Regarding the portion of your posted I've quoted, I think there is a lot of overlap between buying "conservative outfits" and buying "versatile items." Many, if not all, of the core elements of a classic wardrobe are classic precisely because they are so versatile. However, the characteristics common to versatile items, e.g. solids, limited colors, traditional cuts, are almost by definition conservative and wearing nothing but them is inevitably going to result in a "conservative outfit." I'll hazard a guess and say you agree with that.

Regarding your question I've bolded, my attempt at an answer, other than "it depends," would be that embarking on the mission to "acquire some individuality" should only occur after first (i) acquiring all the versatile/classic core elements, (ii) feeling confident in combining those "boring" core elements of said wardrobe, and (iii) having a good feel for the appropriate "time, place, and manner" of wearing something bolder. This will take longer for some people than others.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads